Make this Willis's Team.

If any body saw the tape of Willis last year, you have to think this guy is for real. He has good speed and alot of size. I know this has all been said already, but that stiff arm of his is really fun to watch. If we can give that guy a solid line year in and year out, I think he can really be special.

I say give him a contract as big as his stats are THIS year. If he plays the whole year and stays injury free, 'hook a brother up'. That is a guy I want on MY team.

T_R

If any body saw the tape of Willis last year, you have to think this guy is for real.  He has good speed and alot of size.  I know this has all been said already, but that stiff arm of his is really fun to watch.  If we can give that guy a solid line year in and year out, I think he can really be special. 

I say give him a contract as big as his stats are THIS year.  If he plays the whole year and stays injury free, 'hook a brother up'.  That is a guy I want on MY team. 

T_R

346586[/snapback]

I posted a similar thread earlier in the week. This is a franchise player.

I sorry, but he has already proven himself. Since Donahoe already realized his potential, long before anyone else- this is his baby. I think it gets done. He played injured and still gained a C-note.

If any body saw the tape of Willis last year, you have to think this guy is for real.  He has good speed and alot of size.  I know this has all been said already, but that stiff arm of his is really fun to watch.  If we can give that guy a solid line year in and year out, I think he can really be special. 

I say give him a contract as big as his stats are THIS year.  If he plays the whole year and stays injury free, 'hook a brother up'.  That is a guy I want on MY team. 

T_R

346586[/snapback]

I have no problem believing that if Willis has a strong 16-game season this year that TD will reward him with a more generous contract.

The hard part will be determining exactly what qualifies as a "strong 16-game season" and then determining exactly what qualifies as a "more generous contract," and that makes me a bit uneasy with Rosenputz being Willis' agent.

I have no problem believing that if Willis has a strong 16-game season this year that TD will reward him with a more generous contract. 

346612[/snapback]

i don't know what gives you that idea.......he hasn't "rewarded" nate after a strong 16-game season in '04.......

The hard part will be determining exactly what qualifies as a "strong 16-game season" and then determining exactly what qualifies as a "more generous contract," and that makes me a bit uneasy with Rosenputz being Willis' agent.

346612[/snapback]

You can always count on Campy for the voice of reason around here! TD is, as I've said before, the best poker player in the NFL. I agree that AFTER this season is when you extend the contract.

Jeff

i don't know what gives you that idea.......he hasn't "rewarded" nate after a strong 16-game season in '04.......

346621[/snapback]

You assume that Nate wanted to be extended. How do you know that he wasn't offered an extention?

Jeff

You assume that Nate wanted to be extended. How do you know that he wasn't offered an extention?

Jeff

346630[/snapback]

i assume he has been offered a contract (i sure as hell hope he has at this point) -- and i assume he was lowballed, just like peerless was, like big pat was, like jennings was, and like schobel was.......and just like willis will be when it comes time to talk contract.........and like most of those guys, i don't have much faith that TD can get willis' name on an extension given his negiotating style.....

346621[/snapback]

I think Clements should and will be rewarded for his play in '04. Hpwever. to be accurate his strong 16 game season included Nate giveth (the TD return) and taketh away (the PR fumble) against Pitts and a difficult to forgive mental error when he went for the INT when knocking the ball down against Jax wouldhave sufficed quite nicely.

Nate should and will be rewarded for his play and it is to be oped by the Bills. However, the risks of an Andre Reed like injury in his contract year, the likelihood of there being a lot of cap room once the new TV contract gets done and our relative strength for now at CB (I would not feel bad at all if we went into next season with McGee, an aging Vincent, Thomas, Greer and the young Hill at CB). I wouldnot resign Vincent until the off-season unless he is willing to agree to a lowball offer from us he should say no to.

i assume he has been offered a contract (i sure as hell hope he has at this point) -- and i assume he was lowballed, just like peerless was, like big pat was, like jennings was, and like schobel was.......and just like willis will be when it comes time to talk contract.........and like most of those guys, i don't have much faith that TD can get willis' name on an extension given his negiotating style.....

346651[/snapback]

No GM in their right mind would've given Peerless the contract he wanted. The Falcons did... and that's one reason why the Falcons now have a different GM. Likewise, the 49ers will soon discover they overpaid for Jennings. And last time I checked, Schobel signed a five-year extension, so he must not have had a problem with Donahoe's offer.

No GM in their right mind would've given Peerless the contract he wanted. The Falcons did... and that's one reason why the Falcons now have a different GM. Likewise, the 49ers will soon discover they overpaid for Jennings. And last time I checked, Schobel signed a five-year extension, so he must not have had a problem with Donahoe's offer.

346725[/snapback]

you missed the point -- all of the players who refused donahoe's offers went on to receive much bigger contracts on the open market....hence, his offers would be considered "lowball".......sometimes a lowball offer works (see schobel), but it usually doesn't.....in most cases, if you want to keep a player around (see clements) you better be ready to offer him close to what he will potentially see on the open market........i sincerly doubt the bills have done this as of yet......they have not shown the ability to do that, whereas other teams have (for instance, jamal williams recently resigned with SD and marcus stroud resigned with JAX -- neither took lowball deals).......for that reason, i don't expect to see nate resigned and i think when it comes time for willis to reup his deal, he will be treated the same and the likelihood of a deal is slim........

i'm not argueing whether departed players that have left the bills deserved the contract they got......i'm talking about negotiating style and how that will effect nate and willis.......

........i sincerly doubt the bills have done this as of yet......they have not shown the ability to do that, whereas other teams have (for instance, jamal williams recently resigned with SD and marcus stroud resigned with JAX -- neither took lowball deals)

346738[/snapback]

So.. did he lowball Lawyer Milloy, Tikeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Sam Adam, or Troy Vincent?

I'm sorry if TD does not want to overpay for Jonas Jennings just to prove to you that he can do it. His job is to manage a salary cap, not to play highball/lowball.

So.. did he lowball Lawyer Milloy, Tikeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Sam Adam, or Troy Vincent?

I'm sorry if TD does not want to overpay for Jonas Jennings just to prove to you that he can do it. His job is to manage a salary cap, not to play highball/lowball.

346743[/snapback]

all those guys were FA signings.......his strategy for handling FA's is very different then his strategy for handling potential FA's........

you missed the point -- all of the players who refused donahoe's offers went on to receive much bigger contracts on the open market....

And congratulations to them for doing so.

hence, his offers would be considered "lowball"....... sometimes a lowball offer works (see schobel), but it usually doesn't..... in most cases, if you want to keep a player around (see clements) you better be ready to offer him close to what he will potentially see on the open market........

Obviously, then, TD didn't want to keep Price, Jennings, or Williams around for the $$$ it would have taken to resign them. (Let's throw in Antoine Winfield here, too.) But of those four, Pat W. was the only one who sounded even remotely interested in staying in Buffalo; the other three were all actively looking to get out of town well before their contracts expired. Why is this important?

"Unlike ex-Bills CB Antoine Winfield, who couldn’t wait to leave Buffalo, we hear that CB Nate Clements loves Buffalo and will definitely listen to the Bills when it comes time to extend his contract."

source:Pro Football Weekly

i sincerly doubt the bills have done this as of yet...... they have not shown the ability to do that, whereas other teams have (for instance, jamal williams recently resigned with SD and marcus stroud resigned with JAX -- neither took lowball deals)....... for that reason, i don't expect to see nate resigned and i think when it comes time for willis to reup his deal, he will be treated the same and the likelihood of a deal is slim........

TD talked about re-doing Clements' contract back in March. Reported by KFFL, sourced from buffalobills.com.

i'm not argueing whether departed players that have left the bills deserved the contract they got...... i'm talking about negotiating style and how that will effect nate and willis.......

346738[/snapback]

During the same period of time that Price, Winfield, Williams, and Jennings left town in search of better $$$$, here's some of what Donahoe did with the Bills' checkbook:

-London Fletcher: 5-year, $15.925m contract, $4m signing bonus

-Lawyer Milloy: 4-year, $15m contract, $5m signing bonus

-Eric Moulds (2001): 6-year, $40m contract, $12.5m signing bonus

-Aaron Schobel: 5-year, $23m extension, $6.75m signing bonus

-Takeo Spikes: 6-year, $32m contract, $9m signing bonus

-Troy Vincent: 6-year, $20m contract, $3.6m signing bonus

No 'lowballs' there, when compared position-by-position to players around the league. Donahoe will spend Ralph's money when he feels like it; obviously, he didn't feel like it in the cases of PPrice/Jennings/Williams. We'll have to wait and see how his latest decisions impact the team... but on the other hand, I'd rather not see TD fall into the John Butler trap of handing out 8-figure contracts to practically everyone on the team, either.

i'm not argueing whether departed players that have left the bills deserved the contract they got......i'm talking about negotiating style and how that will effect nate and willis.......

346738[/snapback]

Maybe you should argue that, because it seems like a rather strong argument against your position if players who leave are getting overpaid. Why exactly is it a knock against TD if he lets a guy go and get a ridiculous contract from another team? Shouldn't he "lowball" him (offer what he thinks the guy's worth)? The point is precisely that guys like Price, Jennings, etc. really are not worth their market value to the Bills.

Maybe you should argue that, because it seems like a rather strong argument against your position if players who leave are getting overpaid.  Why exactly is it a knock against TD if he lets a guy go and get a ridiculous contract from another team?  Shouldn't he "lowball" him (offer what he thinks the guy's worth)?  The point is precisely that guys like Price, Jennings, etc. really are not worth their market value to the Bills.

346825[/snapback]

Let me save dwag the trouble: 25-38. :lol:

I agree with Campy. Let Willis go out and have a monster year, then consider it. 12 games don't justify a new fat contract. Scott Mitchell ring a bell ? Probably not ,with many of the young hot pockets here. :lol:

Plus Willis got a lot of $$ year 1 for contibuting NOTHING and just rehabbing. Let him earn his $$ now and reward him later.

I agree with Campy. Let Willis go out and have a monster year, then consider it. 12 games don't justify a new fat contract. Scott Mitchell ring a bell ? Probably not ,with many of the young hot pockets here.  :P

Plus Willis got a lot of $$ year 1 for contibuting NOTHING and just rehabbing. Let him earn his $$ now and reward him later.

346855[/snapback]

Yeah, I don't understand the outcry to renegotiate a contract for a guy with 3 years left on his deal. And if we renegotiated and he had a good year, he'd probably hold out for an even better deal anyway. :lol: