Amnesty International Report

Finally a report that I feel hits the nail on the head.

Article from ABCnews: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=789402

(Note that I didn't actually read this article - but I saw it on CNN, but I couldn't find it on a quick cnn.com search. I'm going to comment on what I saw on cnn, and no jokes about me watching CNN - it was the only thing on in UT's union during my lunch break).

Amnesty International's report was dead on I think. It talks about how the United State's human rights abuses in the war on terror has lead to other human rights abuses around the world. We are the leader in the world, and other countries take the lead from us.

But it also places much of the blame on other countries.

I think though that the most important part of this article is the blame that it places on the UN. It puts blame on the UN for not even attempting to do anything about the human rights abuses.

Ah, how !@#$ed the world is. And its not gonna change at all because of the way governments work.

More positive outlook from BlueFire® - 2005.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amnesty International is a bunch of pie-in-the-sky dreamers. They have no idea the nastiness that real life dictates.

346188[/snapback]

Oh, I disagree. They know exactly the nastiness that real life dictates - they simply have no idea how to stop it.

Finally a report that I feel hits the nail on the head.

Article from ABCnews: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=789402

(Note that I didn't actually read this article - but I saw it on CNN, but I couldn't find it on a quick cnn.com search.  I'm going to comment on what I saw on cnn, and no jokes about me watching CNN - it was the only thing on in UT's union during my lunch break).

Amnesty International's report was dead on I think.  It talks about how the United State's human rights abuses in the war on terror has lead to other human rights abuses around the world.  We are the leader in the world, and other countries take the lead from us.

But it also places much of the blame on other countries.

I think though that the most important part of this article is the blame that it places on the UN.  It puts blame on the UN for not even attempting to do anything about the human rights abuses.

Ah, how !@#$ed the world is.  And its not gonna change at all because of the way governments work. 

More positive outlook from BlueFire® - 2005.

346121[/snapback]

Brainwashing works.

I went to a couple of Amnesty International meetings in high school. Did it for the chicks. Man were those meetings dumb and a huge waste of time...

346579[/snapback]

ha...so true...not something you'd admit out loud back then, otherwise the girls get all snooty and pissy at you for not wanting to save the world

Oh, I disagree.  They know exactly the nastiness that real life dictates - they simply have no idea how to stop it.

346452[/snapback]

“Umm, uh…Terrence and Phillip are supposed to be killed so we think we should prank call a bunch of policemen and have pizzas sent to them that they didn’t order! Viva la resistance!”

yup...same reason I signed up for folk music class as an english elective. Not a bad move in '72.

346614[/snapback]

"I gave my love a cherry that had no stone.

I gave my love a chicken that had no bones..."

Wow, we have an honored guest on the dark side. 

Welcome.    :lol:

346899[/snapback]

Thanks (I think), but I've spent some quality(?) time here in the past.

Still recovering from the last visit, in fact.....

:P

Whichever fool came up with the "gulag of our time" line in that report needs to read this book.

All of it, if they can stomach it.

346889[/snapback]

I'm reading it right now. I just finished the chapter where Solzhenitsyn describes a gentleman being given ten years for saying Pushkin was a better poet than Mayakovsky. :lol:

Kind of made me laugh at that "Gulag of our time" crap. I don't recall anyone being in Gitmo for unfavorably comparing poets... :P

I'm reading it right now.  I just finished the chapter where Solzhenitsyn describes a gentleman being given ten years for saying Pushkin was a better poet than Mayakovsky.  :lol:

Kind of made me laugh at that "Gulag of our time" crap.  I don't recall anyone being in Gitmo for unfavorably comparing poets...  :P

346915[/snapback]

I once said that the Beatles were better then the Rolling Stones and the American government threw me in Gitmo.

Where I was preceeded to be anally probed by aliens.

Or maybe that was an acid trip. Its all so blurred now...

Been a while for me; I read it in high school. (Along with One Day in the Life...., Salisbury's The 900 Days, Mein Kampf.....)

Heh. Wonder if my high school library even HAS any of those books any more.

Been a while for me; I read it in high school. (Along with One Day in the Life...., Salisbury's The 900 Days, Mein Kampf.....)

Heh. Wonder if my high school library even HAS any of those books any more.

346923[/snapback]

One day in the life was pretty descriptive.