Damar Hamlin and the End of the Season

JackKemp

59 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

I agree with the OP. Watching your teammate die in front of you is not something you recover from quickly. While in the hospital approximately 20% of people whose heart stops are resucitated. Outside the hospital it is 5-10%. We may have witnessed a miracle. Think what you want but I think the whole nation and the Bills Mafia collectively praying for him may have had something to do with that.

Now if that doesn't suck the fun out of the game I don't know what does. Everyone reacts differently to this sort of thing. I believe the comments about some players being numb, out of gas and generally not feeling it. You could see it. Not all react that way. To some this is more than a game. Everything they do is about winning a Superbowl and being a World Champion. We have identified who some of those players are. 

I don't know how things would have played out had this not happened. Obviously the team had some issues that needed to be worked out but they are much better than they showed against the Bengals. It was a rough year and I will cut them all some slack too. Coach McD is a stand up guy and great leader. I credit him with not trying to use the Damar situation to motivate the team. It may take mean and nasty to get this team to the next level but I am proud of this team and the season they had that will be remembered for a long time.

He didn't die after all.  In fact they (and we) reacted with joy a week later when he was waving from his hospital bed.  After this, they came out and scored 79 points vs NE and then Miami (playoff game). 

The they bombed vs Bengals.  

The Bills and the NFL did NOT use Hamlin to motivate the team???  The absolutely did---to a fault.  They definitely exploited this situation to hype the game.  It's all that was talked about all week.  They showed his parents being hustled into the suite before kickoff.  They had the kid in a Bills golfcart riding into the stadium on camera.  They cut to him on the jumbotron in the suite all masked up.

They were simply unprepared for the game that the Bengals brought and made no apparent in game adjustments to counter it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He didn't die after all.  In fact they (and we) reacted with joy a week later when he was waving from his hospital bed.  After this, they came out and scored 79 points vs NE and then Miami (playoff game). 

The they bombed vs Bengals.  

The Bills and the NFL did NOT use Hamlin to motivate the team???  The absolutely did---to a fault.  They definitely exploited this situation to hype the game.  It's all that was talked about all week.  They showed his parents being hustled into the suite before kickoff.  They had the kid in a Bills golfcart riding into the stadium on camera.  They cut to him on the jumbotron in the suite all masked up.

They were simply unprepared for the game that the Bengals brought and made no apparent in game adjustments to counter it.  

No doubt the world exploited the  Hamlin situation but as far as I know I don't think McDermott personally stooped to that level with the team

• Like (+1) 1

I strongly disagee with the OP's assessment here. Once Damar was out of danger, and "OK", that should have inspired them, especially his appearance in the locker room before the Begals game. The old, "Win one for the gipper" deal.

Had he died, or stayed in a coma, now that might.....might.....have been a *good* excuse for the Bills to have lost their focus. As it was, as has been noted many times in here since last Sunday, the whole organization, from top to bottom, was woefully unprepared for the game. And it seems like most players didn't give a 100% effort and/or care about winning. Milano came right out and admitted it. 🙄

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bmur66 said:

No doubt the world exploited the  Hamlin situation but as far as I know I don't think McDermott personally stooped to that level with the team

I don't' consider it "stooping", but they definitely exploited the situation.  I was along the lines of a "great human interest story".  If they were focusing too much on Hamlin, it was absolutely McD's job to refocus them.

I just don't think that, by the time the Bengals game rolled around, they were really worrying about Hamlin anymore.  I think they just weren't well prepared in a gameplan sense. 

• Agree 1

this is ridiculous.  Hamlin had a miraculous recovery.  It should have galvanized the team.  We have a lot of poor/average talent on this team outside of JA, Diggs, Miller, Milano and Knox.  We missed on a TON of picks, killing our OL and DL.  Bean had been a poor drafter since Allen 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

This is ironic, considering the crap that was dumped on Sullivan. Long term, no less.

He says something really stupid, and gets fired. I get it.

At the end of the day, you can't have it both ways, folks..

Overthrown Ball to Diggs, Under Thrown ball to Davis, Drop by Davis, and finally Josh not looking to the flat enough were what doomed the offense in this game.  2 of those 4 things change I think we win. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.