(OT)Free No Limit Poker Tournament

There are 2 free No Limit Texas Holdem Tournaments being held every Wednesday night at Macaroon's Nightclub on Dick Rd. at 7pm and 10 pm. It started last Wednesday.

It's free there isn't any buy in. You can win seats in regional and national tournaments that give away WSOP seats etc...

Not to be a stick in the mud, but is it legal for a bar to hold a gambling tournament? Churches have to get special permits to have a "gambling tent" at their lawn fete's and those have very strict limits on level of winnings that are available.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but is it legal for a bar to hold a gambling tournament? Churches have to get special permits to have a "gambling tent" at their lawn fete's and those have very strict limits on level of winnings that are available.

342340[/snapback]

Churches have to get special permits because they are letting people gamble. This is a FREE tournament, noone pays to enter, so therefore they are NOT gambling.

Churches have to get special permits because they are letting people gamble.  This is a FREE tournament, noone pays to enter, so therefore they are NOT gambling.

342346[/snapback]

Sorry, not a big gambler. So free means no money changes hands? I thought it meant you didn't have to pay to PARTICIPATE in the tournament. :doh:

Sorry, not a big gambler. So free means no money changes hands? I thought it meant you didn't have to pay to PARTICIPATE in the tournament.  :doh:

342370[/snapback]

My guess would be you show up, they hand you X amount of chips, and if you win, instead of winning money, you win a seat at the tourney thats the next level up...so no money changes hands, but you get 1 step closer to the WSOP, where you can finish 4,562 out of 4,573 when the big guns knock you out in 25 minutes...

A place here in Greensboro got in trouble with the ALE for doing something similar. It was free and the prize was the same thing, they got in trouble for selling alcohol and holding a game of chance in the same establishment.

My guess would be you show up, they hand you X amount of chips, and if you win, instead of winning money, you win a seat at the tourney thats the next level up...so no money changes hands, but you get 1 step closer to the WSOP, where you can finish 4,562 out of 4,573 when the big guns knock you out in 25 minutes...

342537[/snapback]

Who's paying for the WSOP seat if the players don't have to buy into the tournament?

My guess is that it's probably run by this company.

www.pokerplayersinc.com

They are just all in fests.  The blinds last 8 or 10 minutes I believe.  I had a friend that played in one.

The object is to earn points by your finishes and get invited to a bigger tournament and eventually win a WSOP seat.

342599[/snapback]

BF I was surprised that it wasn't an all in fest, people actually played very tight.

It's run by www.nationalpubpokerleague.com. You do earn points to regional and national events, which does give you a shot at the WSOP. The winner of each tournament gets an automatic invite to the regionals. Everyone started with 4000 chips and the blinds went up every 15 minutes. It is not a game to goto if you're looking for anything but fun and an outside chance to the WSOP or a sattelite to the WSOP.

Who's paying for the WSOP seat if the players don't have to buy into the tournament?

342608[/snapback]

National Pub Poker League pays for it.

The bars pay them for hosting the event there.

National Pub Poker League pays for it.

The bars pay them for hosting the event there.

342618[/snapback]

Got it. Sounds pretty good.

Our local pub in the city holds a tourney every few months. Usually get about 30 guys in for $50. It's becoming so popular I heard that some state official in NY wants to legalize it. The state will probably want to take a rake!

Got it.   Sounds pretty good.

Our local pub in the city holds a tourney every few months.  Usually get about 30 guys in for $50.   It's becoming so popular I heard that some state official in NY wants to legalize it.  The state will probably want to take a rake!

342622[/snapback]

An American Legion about 20 minutes from me holds one every month. It started as a 50 dollar buy in and they would get around 100 guys. First was 2000 and the top 10 paid. The best I was able to do was third. Then they raised the buy in to 120 and they are getting 140 a month (max number) and they have legit dealers now. I'm surprised the cops aren't onto that one yet. First is now taking home somewhere around 5 grand.

Got it.  Sounds pretty good.

Our local pub in the city holds a tourney every few months.  Usually get about 30 guys in for $50.  It's becoming so popular I heard that some state official in NY wants to legalize it.  The state will probably want to take a rake!

342622[/snapback]

State Lawmaker Introduces Bill To Legalize Poker In

Bars

(Albany, NY) AP 05/21/05 -- A state lawmaker has

introduced a bill to legalize poker in bars,

restaurants and clubs.

Seeking to capitalize on the exploding craze around

the country over the card game, NYS Senator John

Sabini (D, Queens), says his bill would benefit

businesses, tax coffers and even charities.

He says, for example, that bars and restaurants could

hold tournaments that benefit a charity, while

customers can socialize in a safe environment where

they don't stand to lose a lot of money.

A ranking member of the Senate Racing, Gaming and

Wagering Committee, Sabini says his legislation would

generally allow only non-cash prizes for individual

games.

It would require businesses regulated by the state

alcoholic beverage control law to apply to their local

municipality for a license that allows "social poker."

Tournament admission could be no more than $50 per

person. Players could only wager with chips, not

money. Games can't last more than 24 hours, and only

the best tournament player can win a cash prize - one

not exceeding $100.

©2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This

material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten,

or redistributed.

Tournament admission could be no more than $50 per

person. Players could only wager with chips, not

money. Games can't last more than 24 hours, and only

the best tournament player can win a cash prize - one

not exceeding $100.

Now this cannot be for real. Enter a trny fro $50 for the chance to win $100. Nice odds there

An American Legion about 20 minutes from me holds one every month.  It started as a 50 dollar buy in and they would get around 100 guys.  First was 2000 and the top 10 paid.  The best I was able to do was third.  Then they raised the buy in to 120 and they are getting 140 a month (max number) and they have legit dealers now.  I'm surprised the cops aren't onto that one yet.  First is now taking home somewhere around 5 grand.

342633[/snapback]

6 out of 10 of these tournaments turns into a nice living.....whats the problem???? :w00t:

342608[/snapback]

Businesses all probably chip in a nominal fee of 50-100$, times 100 businesses doing the same thing. SO you play poker for free against say 5-10 thousand participants for one 10,000$ seat. In the meantime all those participants buy food and drink. Really good idea if u ask me.