Differences between college and NFL punt formations I have noticed recently. Why?

Big Turk

Keep forgetting to bring this up when I watch college games and see what appears to be a now almost standard punt formation with 3 guys lined up almost halfway back in front of the punter which I believe is called a "shield" punt. 

I am assuming this is to give better protection against blocked punts but is at the expense of kick coverage?  

I don't think I have ever seen this formation in the NFL, even when teams have a full punt block on. 

Is there any reasons to use this outside college teams not having faith in a normal punt formation to block it well enough that gives them some advantage over a traditional punt formation like they use in the NFL? Typically even if teams are in punt block formation, they simply bring the gunners in close to help with blocking.

Just wondering if this is going to be another trend that goes from college to the NFL in a few years like seems to be all the rage with the spread formations and the RPOs.

SHIELD PUNT: 

image.png.1336e7a02e72c75cd8353233bfd09dbf.png

CONVENTIONAL PUNT: 

image.png.c7450c7b6d7cd8cd722bcc8f556d3d32.png

Edited by Big Turk

• Big Turk changed the title to Differences between college and NFL punt formations I have noticed recently. Why?

I don't watch much college ball, but I, too, have noticed that formation sometimes.  Bear in mind, w/ pros you've got a better snapper & the punters are typically quicker getting the ball off, so maybe they figure they need less protection (particularly from outside rushers).  That's just speculation on my behalf as to the reason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.