What We Learned Week 4

corta765

12 hours ago, corta765 said:

It’s why I think GB was OK trading Adams. They have two really good RBs which allowed them to break in some youngsters at WR. They can balance it better then others. Inversely the Rams are all over and looks unprepared for what is thrown at them.

Comes back to @Coach Tuesday's point. The Rams offensive line is a mess. They lost a perennial all-pro and replaced him by moving a former 3rd round guard to tackle. That, so far, has not worked.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Augie said:

My father would have used up the printer cartridge on this. He just had to hold paper! 

Change the font to 9 and your good

3 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

The thing about John Harbaugh's decision to go for it.  The Bills drove right down the field and were toying with the Ravens at the end of the drive before kicking a FG with no time left.  The way they were moving the ball, the odds were very high they could have scored a TD if they wanted to anyway.  Baltimore would likely have lost the game by a point even if they kicked the FG.

Exactly which is why I said what he did was correct. When you are facing Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers, Jackson you need to assume they can score at will even if you have slowed them down as their talent alone allows things to happen you cannot control. I think the bigger rage is BAL blowing two 17 pt + leads in a three week time frame which is magnified when they could've had the lead with the FG even if it was maybe the wrong call.

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Even the best teams will have weeks where they are just off.  KC looked unbeatable against the Bucs but looked flat against the Colts.

Agreed. What the Chiefs showed like the Bills did against the Titans is when they are on they are incredibly hard to stop and unless you have a QB like Allen or a few others who can match that pace your probably toast. Truthfully TB's offense was not bad on Sunday, KC just got up so quickly it was a bit too far out of reach.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Comes back to @Coach Tuesday's point. The Rams offensive line is a mess. They lost a perennial all-pro and replaced him by moving a former 3rd round guard to tackle. That, so far, has not worked.

This is where their cap issue could cause long term harm. They need a LT badly as what they have isn't working right now, but they do not have the space to move for someone of decent value. The NFC being weak probably will allow the Rams some attrition, but at some point they gotta figure it out.

WHY I LOVED THE BALTIMORE WIN

When you looked at the schedule on release, 4 of 6 on road, B2B Primetime national games to start, and worthy competition, I circled the Bills-Ravens as the most important game before the Bills-Chiefs.  Here was/is my thinking.

1.  I think everyone recognizes the challenge of playing Baltimore in Baltimore.  You could expect a tough, competitive game.

2. I believe that Buffalo has more quality players at this moment than Baltimore, but each team possesses and "X" factor QB.

3. Both teams are likely to be Division winners so H2H was uber important

4. I thought that Baltimore with Tucker was a bigger advantage than Buffalo with Bass and this was likely to be a single digit victory for either team

5. And this is the type of game that championship teams win.  They outlast the other good team. 

6. When you scan the "yeah but who did they play" around Week 14-15, this win will look really good.

7. Confidence.  Getting a hard fought, gritty win on the road, with a M*A*S*H unit playing has to really instill confidence in this team.

Now go out and follow this up with a blow out of Pittsburgh.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, corta765 said:

This is where their cap issue could cause long term harm. They need a LT badly as what they have isn't working right now, but they do not have the space to move for someone of decent value. The NFC being weak probably will allow the Rams some attrition, but at some point they gotta figure it out.

And their draft capital. They only have two picks (a 2nd and a 3rd) in the first FIVE rounds next April. The OL is an issue for them. They had a similar approach to the Bills of "get your left tackle and center and fill the rest in with guys" but now Whitworth is gone that looks flawed. Especially as they paid Noteboom as well based on his guard play but at a tackle rate because they planned to move him. If they now move him back they an overpaid left guard. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

And their draft capital. They only have two picks (a 2nd and a 3rd) in the first FIVE rounds next April. The OL is an issue for them. They had a similar approach to the Bills of "get your left tackle and center and fill the rest in with guys" but now Whitworth is gone that looks flawed. Especially as they paid Noteboom as well based on his guard play but at a tackle rate because they planned to move him. If they now move him back they an overpaid left guard. 

100%. Now from what I have read the Rams have had a lot of success with homegrown talent over the years and round 2-7, but at some point the odds balance out. I am surprised they did not take a flyer on someone like Duane Brown for insurance (granted he is out right now).

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

100%. Now from what I have read the Rams have had a lot of success with homegrown talent over the years and round 2-7, but at some point the odds balance out. I am surprised they did not take a flyer on someone like Duane Brown for insurance (granted he is out right now).

They have had but there are certain positions I think it is really had to do that with. How many franchise QBs, LTs, CB1s and WR1s come after round 2? You can absolutely use those rounds to find good starting guards, safeties, linebackers, nickel corners and slot receivers.... and fill out your team. But man if you are relying on finding a franchise level LT late on day 2 or in day 3 you need to have a lotta luck to pull that off. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, wjag said:

WHY I LOVED THE BALTIMORE WIN

When you looked at the schedule on release, 4 of 6 on road, B2B Primetime national games to start, and worthy competition, I circled the Bills-Ravens as the most important game before the Bills-Chiefs.  Here was/is my thinking.

1.  I think everyone recognizes the challenge of playing Baltimore in Baltimore.  You could expect a tough, competitive game.

2. I believe that Buffalo has more quality players at this moment than Baltimore, but each team possesses and "X" factor QB.

3. Both teams are likely to be Division winners so H2H was uber important

4. I thought that Baltimore with Tucker was a bigger advantage than Buffalo with Bass and this was likely to be a single digit victory for either team

5. And this is the type of game that championship teams win.  They outlast the other good team. 

6. When you scan the "yeah but who did they play" around Week 14-15, this win will look really good.

7. Confidence.  Getting a hard fought, gritty win on the road, with a M*A*S*H unit playing has to really instill confidence in this team.

Now go out and follow this up with a blow out of Pittsburgh.

I would add to that having two incredibly tough games in a row was probably the best thing so they don't take any team lightly. While I expect PIT to be an easier game for the Bills, I do not expect the Bills to take them lightly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.