DOG V. CATS

We have a 10 year old dog Lab/Spaniel Mix and 3 cats under the age of 3,,,,They were strays rescued by my daughter...Apparently the Bob Evans restaurant she works at is a popular cat dumping place,,,So we said. "Sure, bring them home. As long as YOU take care of them." That lasted all of 3 weeks and now Mrs. Lew and I take care of them...

All four of the critters get along and the cats, esp the calico, will groom the dog..It is funny to watch and the dog loves it...She just lays there and gets a nice bath as it were...

And these cats will 'fetch' also....They will fetch wadded pieces of paper and that is a fun game...

Now if I can get the cats to eat that noisy bird we have , I'd be all set...Damn thing chirps ALL the time....

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have two cats, two dogs and two horses. All have very unique personalities, but I will say the cats are every bit as affectionate as the dogs.

I had never had cats until some douche-bag left these two as kittens boxed up in a parking lot, but in a sense, I'm glad he did. They are a riot to have around, great napping partners and excellent stress relievers. Even my dad, who was anti-cat his entire life has been caught petting them and napping with one on his chest. (Mom had that incriminating pic framed for his office.)

One of our dogs is a rescue too. He and the rest of his litter were tossed from a car. Don't mean to be a downer, but it takes a real low-life to abuse an animal. Great animal though. Took almost two years to work out the psychological damage done to him, but he's happy-go-lucky now.

Funny thing, we have a large population of grey squirrels on our property. Our

lab-mix's favorite pastime is to chase them. He's come close to nabbing one a few times, but for now he just tends to bulldoze them if he can make contact. The squirrels seem to have made a judgement call that he is a minor threat and they can go about their business until he starts to chase. However, if they can even see one of the cats in a window, let alone having one in the yard and it's a mad dash for the tree tops.

I won't even touch on horse personalities. They are a hell of lot smarter than people think.

The best cooperative hunters by FAR are wild dogs...but they may or may not be "big", depending on your definition. 

And the hyena's reputation as a garbage disposal is well-earned, as they will eat just about anything that can be chewed (and the hyena has the highest bite pressure of any land animal..."anything that can be chewed" includes things made of iron).  Nonetheless...you're right, they're far better hunters than lions; a lion's FAR more likely to scavenge a hyena kill than vice versa.

336945[/snapback]

Yeah, I knew about Wild Dogs, but they aren't really that big......

Mind you Chimps are exceptional hunters as well, and man of course, so those two are big and better than hyenas.

Yeah, I knew about Wild Dogs, but they aren't really that big......

Mind you Chimps are exceptional hunters as well, and man of course, so those two are big and better than hyenas.

337445[/snapback]

For that matter, hyenas aren't really considered "big" hunters, traditionally. :blink:

Baboons are very good to, if rather malicious about it. And, believe it or not, Argentinian wild boars are supposed to be very successful hunters...not just in their success rate, but in the size of their kills. They're supposed to be a big problem for cattle ranchers in Patagonia.

And at this point, I'd dispute the idea that man's an exceptional hunter. How many people do you honestly think could survive having to hunt and kill their own meals these days?

And at this point, I'd dispute the idea that man's an exceptional hunter.  How many people do you honestly think could survive having to hunt and kill their own meals these days?

Spoken like a man who's never witnessed middle-aged women at the opening of a day after Thanksgiving day sale. The store clerks do their best to avoid becoming consumed.

Spoken like a man who's never witnessed middle-aged women at the opening of a day after Thanksgiving day sale. The store clerks do their best to avoid becoming consumed.

338025[/snapback]

And God willing, I never will.

I once watched a woman attempt to try on three shoes simultaneously. I could see the wheels turning in her head as this otherwise smart woman tried to figure out how to put three shoes on two feet. That's the last time I ever went shopping with a woman. :doh:

There's an outside cat in my neighborhood (which pisses me off tremendously) that wanders free and gets into my things on a regular basis. A few weeks ago I was sitting in the living room watching TV when I saw the cet peeking in the window at me. So I went to the garage, got my Dasiy BB gun, went outside, pumped three times, aimed and fired. Direct hit! It ran off and I found the BB in the spot it was standing. My question is would a rockt propelled Grenade leave a stain that I cant get it, or should I go ahead and splurge?

For that matter, hyenas aren't really considered "big" hunters, traditionally.  :doh:

Baboons are very good to, if rather malicious about it.  And, believe it or not, Argentinian wild boars are supposed to be very successful hunters...not just in their success rate, but in the size of their kills.  They're supposed to be a big problem for cattle ranchers in Patagonia.

And at this point, I'd dispute the idea that man's an exceptional hunter.  How many people do you honestly think could survive having to hunt and kill their own meals these days?

337451[/snapback]

Me.