Pats have a major weakness

Tolstoy

Patsies did look very good, especially on offense. They have a major problem however: they cannot stop the run. Indi ran all over them. Do you think their upcoming opponents weren't watching this game? Do you think they don't smell blood?

Question: how long will a team be successful if it can't stop the run?

Actually the Pats have lots of weaknesses...which teams should be able to exploit.

The cannot stop the run.

They cannot stop play action passing, setup by their inability to stop the run.

Corey Dillion is underutilized. Let's see their playing calling when a team has a real secondary. The Pats could pass all day because the Colts have no secondary.

Brady does live a charmed life. Still, I'm not sure the Colts defense is all that good. It seems to me that a team with a stout defense and a good running game (e.g., Baltimore) would just destroy the Patsies, especially if the Pats play away. Isn't this exactly what we hope the Bills have this year?

Look, last year, the Patriots could stop the run (Ted Washington? Is that guy good or what?), but couldn't run the ball. That was a better situation to be in than where they are now, which is the opposite. Winning football games starts, I think, in good run defense. Last night, I would argue, was an exception to the rule.

At first glance I would agree, but remember their headcoach is the same guy that let TT run wild in our first SB and still guarenteed his team the win. Could the same plan have been in place last night?

Secondly--no team changes its spots from week to week more than the Pats. One week they take away the run, the next the pass, or a specific receiver. What they have shown is the ability to make plays and win in very different ways. I would guess that when the time comes they will be geared up to stop our running game and dare DB to beat them. We shall see how that one works out.

No doom and gloom here, they did show a weakness last night. The loss of big Ted may be huge for the pats. I kept an eye on their nose tackle (sorry, can't remember his name--guy from Chi) early in the game and he was getting pushed around. Much hope for us there, too early for over reactions though.

Well, they have homo jesus in cleats as their QB.  He might play for the wrong team, but currently this guy walks on water.  No matter how bad their run D might turn out to be, they won't lose till someone can at least slow down the offense.

25124[/snapback]

Well, they have homo jesus in cleats as their QB. 

Nominee, most ignorant post of 2004 - remember, it's an honor just to be nominated, homophobe!!

In defense of the Patriots, the run defense got shredded in the first half, but Belichick's halftime adjustments (...mainly inserting Wilfork in place of Keith Traylor, who got abused early) paid off.

The Colts didn't run the ball nearly as well in the 2nd half, as they were held below 4.0 YPC after the break.

If Wilfork starts to get it, the Pats will be more or less where they were last year.

In defense of the Patriots, the run defense got shredded in the first half, but Belichick's halftime adjustments (...mainly inserting Wilfork in place of Keith Traylor, who got abused early) paid off.

The Colts didn't run the ball nearly as well in the 2nd half, as they were held below 4.0 YPC after the break.

If Wilfork starts to get it, the Pats will be more or less where they were last year.

25252[/snapback]

It's the first game. Like last year, the Patriots will get better. There's a lot of stuff to clean up, but they won an AFC game against a good opponent.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

I made a point to watch Wilfolk and he played well. Old man Traylor will be on the bench very soon. The Pats got a steal in getting Wilfolk were they drafted.

It was encouraging for Bills fans though when the Colts were running on them. The Bills have to pound Henry and McGahee but they have to do it between the tackles.

The Pats defense doesn't look as good as last year, but they still have Brady playing like he's Montana and they still have the best coaching staff in football.

They're still the team to beat but there seems to be a few cracks starting to show.

Guest BackInDaDay
At first glance I would agree, but remember their headcoach is the same guy that let TT run wild in our first SB and still guarenteed his team the win.  Could the same plan have been in place last night?

Secondly--no team changes its spots from week to week more than the Pats.  One week they take away the run, the next the pass, or a specific receiver.  What they have shown is the ability to make plays and win in very different ways.  I would guess that when the time comes they will be geared up to stop our running game and dare DB to beat them.  We shall see how that one works out.

No doom and gloom here, they did show a weakness last night.  The loss of big Ted may be huge for the pats.  I kept an eye on their nose tackle (sorry, can't remember his name--guy from Chi) early in the game and he was getting pushed around.  Much hope for us there, too early for over reactions though.

25215[/snapback]

I agree. Notice how BB shut down Harrison (except for that short squareout) without Law? Speaking of Ty, what's up with his breakdown on that inside move? He never came close to jamming the receiver. Is he injured or moping?

Guest breakingITlong

edge is great,but you cant stuff the box to stop him when you got the best playaction passer and those receivers to think about also. you have to pick your poison.they did stop the run in a way by CAUSING those fumbles. this is probably the best offense in the league and 24 poins is good but its not exactly lighting up the scoreboard.

At first glance I would agree, but remember their headcoach is the same guy that let TT run wild in our first SB and still guarenteed his team the win.  Could the same plan have been in place last night?

Secondly--no team changes its spots from week to week more than the Pats.  One week they take away the run, the next the pass, or a specific receiver.  What they have shown is the ability to make plays and win in very different ways.  I would guess that when the time comes they will be geared up to stop our running game and dare DB to beat them.  We shall see how that one works out.

No doom and gloom here, they did show a weakness last night.  The loss of big Ted may be huge for the pats.  I kept an eye on their nose tackle (sorry, can't remember his name--guy from Chi) early in the game and he was getting pushed around.  Much hope for us there, too early for over reactions though.

25215[/snapback]

Seems to me that the Pats played quite a few games last year without big Ted and still faired decently. Sure he's a loss in the run stopping dept but two things come to mind, he's been missing a lot of games the past couple years, and he's no kid anymore. Something tells me the loss of Ted won't play that big in the Pats scheme of things. BB will figure something out to slow down the run against his D yet again.

Seems to me that the Pats played quite a few games last year without big Ted and still faired decently. Sure he's a loss in the run stopping dept but two things come to mind, he's been missing a lot of games the past couple years, and he's no kid anymore. Something tells me the loss of Ted won't play that big in the Pats scheme of things. BB will figure something out to slow down the run against his D yet again.

25577[/snapback]

Ted was out for 6 games last season and the Pats running defense was actually better durng his absence than when after he returned.

edge is great,but you cant stuff the box to stop him when you got the best playaction passer and those receivers to think about also. you have to pick your poison.they did stop the run in a way by CAUSING those fumbles. this is probably the best offense in the league and 24 poins is good but its not exactly lighting up the scoreboard.

25488[/snapback]

Finally, somone gets it.

The Colts are a good team - you have to pick your poison with them.

Nominee, most ignorant post of 2004 - remember, it's an honor just to be nominated, homophobe!!

25225[/snapback]

Nominee...Biggest Jackass of 2004.