Lurie will not redo Terrell Owens contract

T.O.

Lurie: If T.O. wants to win Super Bowl, he should stay in Philly

May 11, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles will not renegotiate the contract of star wide receiver Terrell Owens, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported Wednesday.

Owens fired longtime agent David Joseph in April, hired Drew Rosenhaus and started asking for a renegotiation just one year into a seven-year deal worth almost $49 million.

The Eagles have intimated they wouldn't redo the contract, and owner Jeffrey Lurie told the newspaper, "It's not even an issue."

"It's a non-issue," Lurie said. "There are a lot of things I spend time thinking about, but that's not one of them."

Lurie criticized Owens' new agent for giving him "self-destructive advice."

Best line:

Asked if he expects Owens to be with the Eagles next season, Lurie said, "If he wants to win a Super Bowl, he should be."

T.O.

May 11, 2005

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles will not renegotiate the contract of star wide receiver Terrell Owens, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported Wednesday.

Owens fired longtime agent David Joseph in April, hired Drew Rosenhaus and started asking for a renegotiation just one year into a seven-year deal worth almost $49 million.

The Eagles have intimated they wouldn't redo the contract, and owner Jeffrey Lurie told the newspaper, "It's not even an issue."

"It's a non-issue," Lurie said. "There are a lot of things I spend time thinking about, but that's not one of them."

Best line:

Asked if he expects Owens to be with the Eagles next season, Lurie said, "If he wants to win a Super Bowl, he should be."

333523[/snapback]

Good job by Lurie.

Great job by Lurie... takes guts to stand up to someone like T.O. and Rosenhaus. They both must realize that Phili' doesn't need them. And stick with their contract.

It does surprise me that TO cries that he doesn't get paid enough to put food on his table, when he makes 7 million a year, plus his signing bonus.

He is overpaid... not underpaid.

He is overpaid... not underpaid.

333547[/snapback]

last i heard he is one of teh top 3 WR in the NFL. and dont think hes in the top 10.

hes right in that the eagles didnt give him the huge ass contract he would have gotten as a true FA. (its still a big contract though)

but he said he stood by his agent, till he fired him to sign a agent that can get him more money.

i can see why he wants to be the highest paid WR, but its only been 1 year. why did you sign a 7 year deal???? why not a 3 year deal???? but im sure the team had some say in that for cap reasons.

all in all, i dont care. he will be playing next year one way or another. i have a feeling he will get more money and then come back.

I think the Eagles are doing the right thing in this situation, but it has me wondering about Willis. I dont know the specifics of his deal, but if I remember right it was more of a performance type contract. If Willis has another good year, is there any reason he wont hold out as well (having the same agent as TO)? Hopefully we sign him to an extension soon, it sure would make me feel a lot more comfortable about our teams future.

T.O.

May 11, 2005

Best line:

333523[/snapback]

Great response by Lurie. TO is such a punk. If he can't "live" off what he's making now, he's too stupid to be alive. I take that back. He's too stupid to be alive, period!

I hope he holds out. Just so it brings Philly closer to the rest of the NFC. They are going to be so thin at WR now after they cut Freddie Mitchell and with TO holding out. Who is going to be their star WR now Todd Pinkston :P.

I have had that feeling since last year...

333781[/snapback]

Hopefully Rosenhous will get stonewalled here, and learns a lesson. Interesting how he does it to the teams that are counting on a particular player and look to be contenders. Does Drew have any holdouts on SF? or any backups that are holdouts?

This only portends bad things for us with Willis....

333649[/snapback]

That would require a number of assumptions and outcomes, only one of which is that Willis would have to possess similar ego and loyalty characteristics as TO. I see no indication that Willis is amped up on 'roids as clearly TO is, and I find it hard to believe from reading between the lines on WM interviews that he's ANYTHING like the narcisitic Owens.

Hopefully Rosenhous will get stonewalled here, and learns a lesson. Interesting how he does it to the teams that are counting on a particular player and look to be contenders. Does Drew have any holdouts on SF? or any backups that are holdouts?

333788[/snapback]

I think draftee DE/LB Merriman is one - dunno.

I hate Lurie, his smug face needs to cave in. Nevertheless, I agree with his stand here. Owens cannot try to whine his way out of another deal (like he did with Baltimore).

333625[/snapback]

... and with SF. Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't he have just played out his deal with SF and gotten a gigantic contract on the open market? He wanted to be traded to a winner, but "oh, not that team," and now he wants a bigger contract after he just signed a 7-year deal? Great player, but this guy can go !@#$ himself. He made his bed. He should sleep in it.