Recap of 5th Jan 6 Hearing

Serious delay on getting this together due to being very busy. I doubt many people care about this anyway, but I think it helps to document the actual evidence being presented. Will watch today's hearing over the next couple days and try to get notes up quicker.

Despite the serious implications of this hearing, I don't have any takeaways other than the sheer scope of Gaetz's pardon request makes me wonder if he had *minor* concerns about legal exposure.

RECAP:

Eric Herschmann (WH Lawyer):

• Told Jeffrey Clark that Clark's plan to send a letter to Georgia about election fraud was a felony
  • Matt Gaetz was looking for a very broad pardon: “from the beginning of time up until today, for any and all things.”

Jeffrey Rosen (Deputy AG and then Acting AG):

• Between December 23rd and Jan 3rd, Trump called or met with him almost every day to discuss election fraud
    • Rosen told him their reviews did not find that to be the case.
  • Trump asked him to seize voting machines and Rosen said they looked into them and there was nothing wrong. So it was not appropriate
  • Told Trump that he would not meet with the people proposing the theory Italian satellites changed votes. If they had something, they could go to any FBI office if they had evidence
  • Jeffrey Clark told Rosen that Trump had asked him to consider replacing Rosen.
    • Rosen old Clark that he was making a colossal error in judgment and there was no factual basis for the fraud assertions
  • Later, Clark told Rosen that Trump offered him Rosen's job and he accepted
    • Rosen called Mark Meadows and said he needed to see Trump right away. Set uo a meeting in 2 hours
    • Called WH General Counsel Pat Cipollone and told him what was going on. Cipollone would attend meeting and support DoJ position
    • Asked OLC Head Steve Engel to come in to the meeting
    • Asked Acting Deputy AG Richard Donoghue and his CoS to get the department senior leadership on a call and let them know what was going on
    • Eric Herschmann called and said he was going and would support the DoJ position
  • At the Jan 3rd meeting
    • Clark said he would turn down the offer if Rosen signed the letter to Georgia saying the DoJ had concerns. Rosen refused
    • Trump said Rosen wouldn’t do anything
      • Rosen said the reason is that the facts and law are against Trump’s plan

Richard Donoghue (Acting Deputy AG)

• After Barr’s resignation, Trump had an arsenal of allegations. Donoghue made it very clear to the president that based on actual investigations the fraud allegations had no merit
  • Trump was fixated on election fraud claims. Donoghue told him that what people were telling Trump was not true and he could not rely on them
  • Trump said he wanted them to say it was corrupt and leave the rest up to him and the GOP congressmen
  • Clark sent Donoghue a letter he wanted him to sign stating that the DoJ had concerns about Georgia's election. The letter was contrary to the facts and the law.
  • White House lawyer Pat Cipollone was supportive of the DoJ positions
  • Clark and Kash Patel told him about the theory that Italian satellites changed vote tallies. It was "pure insanity."
    • Trump said "You guys may not be following the internet the way I do."
  • Donoghue held a call with the Assistant Attorneys General (AAG) about Clark replacing Rosen
    • All of the AAGs said they would resign
    • Donoghue told John Demers to stay on as he covered National Security and it was too important
  • On Jan 3rd meeting:
    • Clark wanted to conduct investigations that he believed would uncover fraud and send a letter to Georgia stating that the DoJ had concerns about their election
    • Clark was not competent to serve
    • Said to Clark: “You’re an environmental lawyer. How about you go back to your office and we’ll call you when there’s an oil spill.
    • Pat Cipollone stated that Clarks’ letter is a mudar-suicide pact and we should have nothing to do with it
    • Trump proposed replacing Jeff Rosen with Jeff Clark
    • Trump said, "What do I have to lose?"
      • Donoghue responded "You have a great deal to lose. You're talking about putting a man in that seat who has never tried a criminal case, he's never conducted a criminal investigation. He's telling you he's going to take charge of the department, 115,000 employees, including the entire FBI, and turn the place on a dime and conduct a nationwide criminal investigation that will produce results in a matter of days. It's impossible, It's absurd. It's not going to happen and he's going to fail."
    • Trump to Donoghue: "Suppose I replace Rosen with Clark, what would you do?"
      • Donoghue: "Mr. President, I would resign immediately. I am not working one minute for this guy."
      • Donoghue told Trump that the AAGs would walk out. The entire leadership would resign within hours.
      • "Mr. President, within 24, 48, 73 hours, you would have hundreds and hundreds of resignations of the entire Justice Department leadership... what's that going to say about you?"
    • Nobody in the room supported Clark.
    • Trump asked Donoghue if he would fie Clark.
      • Donoghue told Trump he didn't have the authority
      • Trump asked who did.
      • Donoghue told Trump that only Trump did.
      • Trump said he would not fire Clark
      • Donoghue said: "Ok, well we should all get back to work."

Steve  Engel (Head of the OLC):

• No reason to doubt Barr’s conclusion that there was no widespread fraud
  • Trump sent a draft lawsuit for the DoJ to file
    • Engel: There is no legal basis to bring this lawsuit… Anyone who thinks otherwise simply does not know the law, much less the Supreme Court.
  • At Jan 3rd meeting:
    • Trump asked if Engel would resign if he replaced Rosen with Clark
      • “I’ve been with you through four AGs but I couldn’t be part of this.”
    • All anyone is going to think is that you went through two AGs in two weeks until you found the environmental guy to sign this thing. The story is not going to be that the DoJ has found massive corruption that would change the result of the election, it’s going to be the disaster of Jeff Clark.”

Cassidy Hutchinson (Mark Meadows' Aide):

• Matt Gaetz and Mo Brooks both wanted pardons
  • Reps. Biggs, Gohmert, and Perry asked for a pardon
  • Jim Jordan talked about getting a pardon but did not ask for one

Jeff Clark video testimony:

• When asked about the letter and the plan, plead the fifth.

Sidney Powell video testimony:

• Trump asked her to be special counsel for election issues

Documents:

• White House call log on Jan 3rd already referred to Clark as AG
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/28/2022 at 10:04 PM, ChiGoose said:

Serious delay on getting this together due to being very busy. I doubt many people care about this anyway, but I think it helps to document the actual evidence being presented. Will watch today's hearing over the next couple days and try to get notes up quicker.

C'mon now King, don't sell yourself short. We do indeed care that you took the time to document these sham hearings conducted by TDS partisans who then deleted evidence that they collected.

:lol:

Edited by BillsFanNC