We BELIEVE in AFFIRMATIVE ACTION!

My college roomate prefered to be called Black rather than

African American, but it wasn't ivy league, sorry.

333866[/snapback]

This is more economic than race based, so that's not exactly relevant. I find it funny that the most blatantly liberal educational institutions in the country are as guilty as the corporations they openly rail against when it comes to making their choices.

This is more economic than race based, so that's not exactly relevant.  I find it funny that the most blatantly liberal educational institutions in the country are as guilty as the corporations they openly rail against when it comes to making their choices.

333873[/snapback]

My reply was somewhat tongue in cheek. These institutions are not liberal. They do more in America to serve the status quo than any Republican in the John Birch Society. First of all, their legacy programs that have preferential admissions for donors and sons and daughters seem to insure that the same type of people are getting in from year to year. Sometime up to 40% of a freshman class is from the Legacies, so that leaves 60% trying to get in competitively, and those that get in based on merit have already attended some of the best high schools

I wonder how many Orchard Park grads get into Ivy league compared to Niagara Falls. I would bet big bucks it would be OP, so there is an economic filter to live in the places with the best high schools that would prepare you to get into a Harvard, or a Yale.

The Ivy League is Status Quo.

The arguments against affirmative action rarely include discussions of legacies which is an embedded affirmative action for the rich.

My reply was somewhat tongue in cheek. These institutions are not liberal. They do more in America to serve the status quo than any Republican in the John Birch Society. First of all, their legacy programs that have preferential admissions for donors and sons and daughters seem to insure that the same type of people are getting in from year to year. Sometime up to 40% of a freshman class is from the Legacies, so that leaves 60% trying to get in competitively, and those that get in based on merit have already attended some of the best high schools

I wonder how many Orchard Park grads get into Ivy league compared to Niagara Falls. I would bet big bucks it would be OP, so there is an economic filter to live in the places with the best high schools that would prepare you to get into a Harvard, or a Yale.

The arguments against affirmative action rarely include discussions of legacies which is an embedded affirmative action for the rich.

333946[/snapback]

I believe the reply for this is?

Crickets.

;)

Of course it is. Which only further proves the limitless hypocracy of the left wing when one considers the political slant of education at the Ivies. Breeding another generation of 'do as I say, not as I do' liberals.

333946[/snapback]

They aren't Liberal? Sure they aren't. I don't disagree with any of the legacy take - that's certainly true. But these schools are run by liberals and the vast majority of the "educating" staff are liberals. Apparently they become conservative when it comes to their admission's policy BECAUSE THEY HAVE A BUSINESS TO RUN.

Amazing how that works. Oh, and it isn't just the Ivy League.

They aren't Liberal?  Sure they aren't.  I don't disagree with any of the legacy take - that's certainly true.  But these schools are run by liberals and the vast majority of the "educating" staff are liberals.  Apparently they become conservative when it comes to their admission's policy BECAUSE THEY HAVE A BUSINESS TO RUN. 

Amazing how that works.  Oh, and it isn't just the Ivy League.

334546[/snapback]

interesting take. Okay then, let's say that the faculty tend to be leftist, but the administration and boards of trustees, and the alumni tend to be conservative.

Admissions, anyway, are conservative.

Admissions, anyway, are conservative.

335020[/snapback]

Sounds like it's because they have to be (what good school can do without their own yacht?), which makes the contrarian arguments placed on the rest of society that much more hypocritical.

Sounds like it's because they have to be (what good school can do without their own yacht?), which makes the contrarian arguments placed on the rest of society that much more hypocritical.

335025[/snapback]

university administrations and faculty are always at a state of war,

and at best at detente. I wish I had tenure at my job, how many of us would last a week if we said whatever we wanted. They can never get fired.