There's Gold in Them There Hills, a Tech/Rant Thread. Do not mistake for the Solid Gold Dancers. I like the Solid Gold Dancers.

TheCockSportif

Over the course of 27 years, I've struck gold, equity wise, once.  It paid for my wedding, and the rest went into savings.  However, hitting a home run is a very potent drug.  So when a company that I'd worked for -- for about the past 4 years or so, sold... I was hoping to see some returns.  They *always* talked about going public.  And that went on for years and years and years, and through *three* CEOs.  Then they sold (were acquired by another company) for $3.38 per share, where 99% of the employees were underwater against stock options.  There was even a secondary market where, if you teamed up with a bunch of people, they would sell your shares for about $8.  In short, a bunch of people just lost a *ton* of money.  Holy Christ.  It seems a lot like crypto, but only a lot more demoralizing.

Not really complaining, but just saying.  I am happy that people continue to hire me, so let's not leave that niblet out of this.

The good news, I suppose, is that the CEO of said company will never be a CEO *ever* again.  You can't sell a company for $3.38 share and get another at bat.  Or can you?  Maybe she'll work for GameStop or something.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

the CEO of said company will never be a CEO *ever* again.

I'm sure he made more money in his brief tenure than most of us will earn in an entire career.

On 5/20/2022 at 4:34 PM, WhoTom said:

I'm sure he made more money in his brief tenure than most of us will earn in an entire career.

She cashed out at the minimum, and that's why this whole exercise has been a fail.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:01 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

They get golden umbrellas ️ 

the small guy gets pissed 🌧  on 

Minimal returns for the CEO.  Doesn't matter how many shares, in particular because the company was on its *3rd* CEO.  You have to imagine that the shares would've been diluted at some point.  Oh, and by the way?  Strike price per share was like $4.25.  If a company sells at $3.38, then game over.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:57 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Sorry, man. Sounds like you got stiffed. 

Full disclosure: I left the company last year, and I had a small number of shares to sell via 3rd parties, or via RSUs, or so on.  I make like $1k in the end, but that's better than nothing, for sure.  I am going to retire in 10 years, at 60.  No doubt about that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.