OT - Considering Move to Rochester

A little help - considering a move to Rochester from a much larger city. What is there in Rochester for 30 yr old single professional, who enjoys all the amenities and trappings of a downtown environment. Assuming real estate is well priced, are there lively downtown neighborhoods (places abuzz on weeknights, weekends, etc.)? Condos? Where is the best bar scene for YUPs? Restaurants? Any info is appreciated, particularly names of neighborhoods. I am completely unfamiliar with the city but will be there soon to check it out. Thanks very much.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little help - considering a move to Rochester from a much larger city.  What is there in Rochester for 30 yr old single professional, who enjoys all the amenities and trappings of a downtown environment.  Assuming real estate is well priced, are there lively downtown neighborhoods (places abuzz on weeknights, weekends, etc.)?  Condos?  Where is the best bar scene for YUPs?  Restaurants?  Any info is appreciated, particularly names of neighborhoods.  I am completely unfamiliar with the city but will be there soon to check it out.  Thanks very much.

331973[/snapback]

I am not a city person myself, but if that is what you are looking for, you would want to look in the Park Ave - East Ave area. The East End has the best bar scene in Roch.

A little help - considering a move to Rochester from a much larger city.  What is there in Rochester for 30 yr old single professional, who enjoys all the amenities and trappings of a downtown environment.

331973[/snapback]

Nothing.

A little help - considering a move to Rochester from a much larger city.  What is there in Rochester for 30 yr old single professional, who enjoys all the amenities and trappings of a downtown environment.  Assuming real estate is well priced, are there lively downtown neighborhoods (places abuzz on weeknights, weekends, etc.)?  Condos?  Where is the best bar scene for YUPs?  Restaurants?  Any info is appreciated, particularly names of neighborhoods.  I am completely unfamiliar with the city but will be there soon to check it out.  Thanks very much.

331973[/snapback]

Resisting the tempation to answer "Nothing" to your first question... :unsure: [edit: as I see Duey already did...]

Rochester is a great city for families. Not so great for single folks. Downtown is virtually dead after 6 pm, although you can find decent bars and restaurants in the East End (East Avenue from Alexander Street to about Chestnut) and in High Falls across from Frontier Field -- although the latter has declined quite a bit in the last two or three years mostly because the city just can't support two nightspot areas.

As for living, my wife used to have an apartment in the Park Avenue area (basically bordered on all four sides by Culver, University, Monroe and Alexander) and there are a lot of young single folks in that area. Quite a few good restaurants as well. There is also the South Wedge, which is probably centered near the intersection of Clinton and Goodman closer to the University of Rochester. There are also some nice condos that have gone up and are going up off East Avenue inside the Inner Loop, in the city's efforts to try to lure young professionals closer to downtown.

331973[/snapback]

Find another place to relocate. Boring town, poor nightlife, high taxes, BAD weather, no pro teams in this city,etc...............

Assuming real estate is well priced, are there lively downtown neighborhoods (places abuzz on weeknights, weekends, etc.)? 

331973[/snapback]

LOL...

Oh yeah, those downtown neighborhoods are really a buzzin'. :unsure:

Rochester is a great family city but not tops for singles. It's very nice. There's a good "bar scene" for the most part, but what you'll find is a revolving group of singles if things haven't changed much in a decade.

The Park Ave. Advice is good, Corn Hill is another area to check out. I always preferred the East side of Rochester not to be confused with East Rochester the town proper. The East side, likely due to the presence of Xerox, always struck me as a little white collar. But the city and suburbs overall are a nice mix of both.

My advice, rent first and check the area out for six months if you have that option. Then you'll know a little bit better what's going on.

Recommendations: Fairport, Pittsford, Bushnell's Basin area.

LOL...

Oh yeah, those downtown neighborhoods are really a buzzin'.  :unsure: 

331997[/snapback]

Thanks all. I should have added that if there was no downtown scene (knowing Buffalo a little better, I knew this was a distinct possibility), that recommendations of other towns, areas is appreciated as well. This is good info though -- I had to ask what seems like a stupid question!

I think it is even stretching it calling it a "family city"

Rochester is a run down version of Buffalo.

332003[/snapback]

Hahaha, Buffalo would kill to be Rochester at this point. When Rochester starts closing it's parks and running out of toilet paper, you can start with the snide comments again. Until then Buffalo has nothing on Rochester. This is coming from someone who has lived in (and enjoyed) both cities for years.

Hey, I thought I was the gringo around here. :unsure:

332014[/snapback]

Check that. I see now that you actually registered 3 days before I did. Weird.

p.s. I like Rochester. I lived there for a couple years after college. That was about 10 years ago now. It suited me fine. There were plenty of bars (a few withing walking distance even!) and a good variety of restaurants. I was in the Monroe Ave. / East Ave area. I loved going to the Little Theatre (lots of good Indie & foreign movies).

IMO Rochester is a nice enough town. Yep, NYS taxes, and yep, it's not the Riveria.

It has a bunch of cultural features that belie it's size, it's situated in a very appealing geography with easy access to other places if desired, the folks are in general urbane and well-educated.

I'm sure it has it's night life - but I'm not judge of yea or nay regarding that, being ancient and sedentary. :unsure:

I can think of a whole lot worse places to plant one's foot than Rochester, NY...

I never really liked the term "professional." Where's the cut-off, what makes someone professional? And if someone is professional, who are the amateurs?

332059[/snapback]

was not intended to offend. i used it b/c it's a fairly common descriptor and i was trying to accurately, but briefly, state a few things abt me and what i'm in search of. i'm not abt to get in to bright line distinctions of it's meaning in this context, but amateur is not the antonym.