Busted Ankle: Call Doctors or Go To ER?

PTS

You should seek medical care - either at the ER or your doctor. You'll be sorry later if you neglect any injuries to the ankles, knees or spine.

However, check your medical insurance coverage. If you have a PPO with a high deductible and your doctor has to send you out to a lab for x-rays/tests, the cost will be applied toward your 2005 deductible. If you go to the ER - you'll have a higher co-pay, but any tests they do on site will be covered.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should seek medical care - either at the ER or your doctor.  You'll be sorry later if you neglect any injuries to the ankles, knees or spine.

However, check your medical insurance coverage. If you have a PPO with a high deductible and your doctor has to send you out to a lab for x-rays/tests, the cost will be applied toward your 2005 deductible.  If you go to the ER - you'll have a higher co-pay, but any tests they do on site will be covered.

331999[/snapback]

No PPO thank GOD! I have Independent Health. It's not that bad but not like we all had it years ago.

Make sure you get an MRI. I thought I had just sprained my foot real bad in two places when I was wasted one night (at the joint of my big toe and where my big toe meets the foot). I went to the ER the next day and got it x-rayed (negative) and then they ran a cat scan on my foot to check for some specialized injury I might have (I thought cat-scans were only for your brain but I was wrong). Both came back negative but two weeks later I could still not put any weight on my foot. So I went back to the hospital where I finally convinced them to give me an MRI and three torn ligaments and one operation later my foot finally healed. Sprains are weird and the amount of damage is hard to diagnose without an MRI. The doctor's claimed my foot was just a sprain and I didn't need an MRI so I walked around in pure agony for two weeks, and probably did a lot more damage to my foot than was origanly inflicted. Get if checked out

The oxys are well worth it. I claim 8 or 9 for ankle pain and reserve the claim of 10 for when I break my femur or accidently put a railroad spike through my head. Otherwise I'll have argry guys from the broken femur ward coming after me claiming I stole their right to claim a pain number of 10. At least the oxys or vicodins kill the pain enough so I can enjoy sex while I'm recovering.

The oxys are well worth it.  I claim 8 or 9 for ankle pain and reserve the claim of 10 for when I break my femur or accidently put a railroad spike through my head.  Otherwise I'll have argry guys from the broken femur ward coming after me claiming I stole their right to claim a pain number of 10.  At least the oxys or vicodins kill the pain enough so I can enjoy sex while I'm recovering.

332179[/snapback]

Always nice to hear from a member of Phylum Arthropeda.

I rolled my ankle real bad this Saturday. It swelled up to the size of a softball. I iced it for two days and the swelling is very minimal right now but there is bruising under my ankle which I noticed this morning. I can walk but gingerly and with an obvious limp, I hope I just sprained it but am fearing that it might be broken.

Anyways, should I wait it out? Go to the ER (which will cost me a $100 bucks) or call my doctor? Can he have me sent anywhere else other than an ER to avoid the cost?

Insurance sucks now!

331906[/snapback]

Go to the doctor. I had a very similar injury in high school (I also had swelling around the ankle joint and bruising over most of the top of my foot) and decided to see if it would get better on its own. It did after a month or two...to a point. However, it never fully healed, and even now, 10 years later, it still hurts a bit when I move it in certain ways and I don't have quite full range of motion in it, though thankfully, I can walk (and run) normally on it, though it is occasionally painful. So my advice is to play it safe and just go to the doctor and pay the bill.

Always nice to hear from a member of Phylum Arthropeda.

332187[/snapback]

The Phylum Arthropeda are tarantulas; big, hairy, frightening spiders. Those are just the kind I see that aren't really there. You mind reader you.

I got into my doctor's office today, unbelievably actually. He checked my ankle out out and said it appeared to be nothing more than a Grade I sprain; mild Grade II sprain at worst.

He sent me for my x-rays, the doctor wasn't available when I was there, but the person who took the pictures said it appeared to be a mild sprain but the doctor would call me when he gets back with his findings.

I also picked up an air cast for the ankle which I have to wear for 7-10 days.

I got into my doctor's office today, unbelievably actually. He checked my ankle out out and said it appeared to be nothing more than a Grade I sprain; mild Grade II sprain at worst.

He sent me for my x-rays, the doctor wasn't available when I was there, but the person who took the pictures said it appeared to be a mild sprain but the doctor would call me when he gets back with his findings.

332338[/snapback]

Should of taken Coli's advice.

<_<:D

BTW, Glad it's not broken

Should of taken Coli's advice.

<_<  :D

BTW, Glad it's not broken

332341[/snapback]

Mr. Clutch is now Mr. Crutch.

Ok, you didn't go the workman's comp route. That's cool. All is not lost, my man. If your place of employment doesn't have a wheelchair ramp, you can probably get paid to "work" from home until they install one. They'll have to hire a union contractor, so that should buy you a couple extra weeks.

Mr. Clutch is now Mr. Crutch.

Ok, you didn't go the workman's comp route.  That's cool.  All is not lost, my man.  If your place of employment doesn't have a wheelchair ramp, you can probably get paid to "work" from home until they install one.  They'll have to hire a union contractor, so that should buy you a couple extra weeks.

332373[/snapback]

You really are a liberal piece of scum aren't you? I mean that in only the nicest way. <_<

332338[/snapback]

The following is very important:

WEAR THE AIR CAST.

Not wearing it is what broke my wife's ankle. And I still give her crap about it...but I am, after all, a...well, you know...

Try Selsun Blue shampoo.

It's a standard treatment.

332435[/snapback]

Nah, I was going to use Chris Rock's idea and pour some Robitusin on it. I'll massage it in so that Tusin gets in there real well. <_<