Scott Gragg...good short-term OT pickup?

I guess Gragg plays ROT, so he probably couldn't slide over to the left side side. But I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on him anyway. He seems like a savy vet that McNally might be able to use if he comes at the right price:

49ers | Impending Gragg Cap Savings - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 7 May 2005 07:54:26 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the impending June 1 release of OT Scott Gragg by the San Francisco 49ers after June 1 will save the team $3 million in salary cap room, which should allow for them to sign all 11 of their draft choices this year.

Height: 6-8

Weight: 315 lbs.

Pos: Offensive Tackle

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: Scott Gragg

Position: Offensive Tackle

Grade: 70 | Key

Alert: A

Comment:

Gragg is extremely durable and despite turning 32 during the off-season he has yet to show any signs of slowing down. Plays with a mean streak, works to sustain his blocks and can be dominant at the point of attack. Shows excellent footwork, plays under control and rarely overextends.

Plays with balance and shows the ability to redirect in pass protection. Uses long arms to ride defenders past the pocket and does a great job of forcing edge rushers to take wider angles to the quarterback.

Gragg however, is a better football player than he is an athlete. Lacks ideal range, doesn't appear comfortable in space and isn't a great downfield blocker as a result. Overall, Gragg is on the downside of his career but he should have one or two more seasons left before time robs him of his skills.

I like him. I think he is RT and this team needs a LT. At the right price, though sure. The article also says he is not a great athlete and I think you need a great athlete to man the LT position.

I guess Gragg plays ROT, so he probably couldn't slide over to the left side side. But I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on him anyway.  He seems like a savy vet that McNally might be able to use if he comes at the right price:

330988[/snapback]

If looking for savy vets, I think the best choice would be Bob Whitfield. He's far from the player he was in his hay days in Atlanta but think he might be able to fill in for a game or two or even pass on some knowledge to guys like Gandy or McFarland or possibly Peters.

If looking for savy vets, I think the best choice would be Bob Whitfield. He's far from the player he was in his hay days in Atlanta but think he might be able to fill in for a game or two or even pass on some knowledge to guys like Gandy or McFarland or possibly Peters.

331010[/snapback]

The Giants signed him last week.

Gragg & McNally overlapped on the Giants team in 1999, before he went to SF.

331019[/snapback]

I thought they might have worked together, but wasn't sure. If that's the case, Gragg might want to end his career with McNally. And the fact the Bills are a team on the rise might make them attractive as well.

I know this has been discussed ad nausum, but if we got a ROT like Gragg, could the "svelte" MW possibly shift over to the left side or would that just be too big a disruption of the OL continuity?

I thought they might have worked together, but wasn't sure.  If that's the case, Gragg might want to end his career with McNally.  And the fact the Bills are a team on the rise might make them attractive as well.

I know this has been discussed ad nausum, but if we got a ROT like Gragg, could the "svelte" MW possibly shift over to the left side or would that just be too big a disruption of the OL continuity?

331022[/snapback]

Considering Anderson's making the shift from RG to LG, I don't like the idea of Williams (or Teague) moving to LT unless we're forced to because of injuries. I think the plan is to try out Gandy at the start of the year, if he struggles than McFarland will get a shot and possibly Peters. Though personally don't think we have Jonas Jennings' replacement on the roster right now, it could come in a June 1 cut or in the 1st Round of the 2006 Draft at pick 12 - 15.

Considering Anderson's making the shift from RG to LG, I don't like the idea of Williams (or Teague) moving to LT unless we're forced to because of injuries. I think the plan is to try out Gandy at the start of the year, if he struggles than McFarland will get a shot and possibly Peters. Though personally don't think we have Jonas Jennings' replacement on the roster right now, it could come in a June 1 cut or in the 1st Round of the 2006 Draft at pick 12 - 15.

331023[/snapback]

Yeah, once I found out Gragg played the right side it seemed a lot less viable. I'd love to find a list of potential June 1 OT cap casualties somewhere on the net, as I too think our starter at LOT isn't on the roster yet.

I feel Gandy's just going to be a tease, like Lawrence Smith was last year. I like McFarland and would like to know what his weight's up too...if he added 20+ pounds of muscle in the off-season, he could be a nice find, but he's probably too green to rely on yet. I keep having a nagging feeling the Peters experiment is not going to pan out.

331023[/snapback]

My sense is that he comes with the June 1st cuts. Since we are depending on actions by others, nothing can be counted upon for sure. However, if this is the plan to take advantage of options which emerge and to have Gandy. Teague and Peters (though this strikes as wishful thinking near fantasy that he will be trusted to protect the QBs blindside in 05) are good enough plan Bs.

I actually still like the idea of picking up Shelton with what I know as this point (which is not much in terms of his medical condiditon, if the ankle injury has robbed him of an ability to play at the level which got him a bid FA contract we should stay far away).

Shelton (assuming he is healthy enough) is not perfect as an LT. However, from what folks say about his strengths and weaknesses, I think they really fit out capabilities well. At his best, he has been a roadgrader who is stronger at the run game than in passpro. As we are going to run WM and then run him again, this fits well.

He also apparently has shown great upper body strength and once he locks up with an opposing DL player, the opponent is done as a run stopping or sacking force.

The downsides of Shelton are apparently a lack of athleticism which makes for a real problem when he is going one on one in space with a speedy rushing LDE like a Jason Taylor and creates some fear when he is taking responsibility for the QB blindside. However, i would be much more worried about this with Bledsoe than I am with the fleet-footed and good pocket awareness shown by Losman. If Shelton has the ability to judiciously take a penalty when he gets beat or to simply warn Losman by loudly yelling whoops..darn when he gets beat we can be fine with this limitation.

If not Shelton then someone else. it sounds like there will be a couple of LT cap casualtieslike Shelton or Whtifield on June 1st.

Whoops, I haven't been following things as closelsy since the draft, thanks for the heads up. Another guy who could fill the role is Buffalo native Vaughn Parker.

331018[/snapback]

last i heard vaughn had signed with the skins. but i believe that was during last season while he was rehabbing a knee injury. when i saw him w/ SD he was at guard and was playing well, and the team always talked about moving him to tackle.