Bills needed to avoid a step backwards this offseason, so far so good.

Inigo Montoya

Any given year there are a handful of teams that have the talent to win a championship, and the Bills are one of them.  To win the Super Bowl you need to have talent on the roster and a good bit of luck.  Who is healthy come playoff time, who gets the pass interference call from the refs, does that tipped pass hit the turf or fall into a DB's hands, who wins the coin toss?

There's not much you can do about the luck factor, but it's up to Beane and company to take care of the first part, the talent on the roster.  Heading into this offseason and being strapped for cap space, I was hoping first and foremost not to take a step backwards on the roster.  I was hoping Beane would find a way to replace the talent that was going to inevitably leave in free agency.

We don't have a lot of cap space because Beane has already put together a championship level roster.  It's the Jets of the league, the rebuilding teams with limited talent on the roster, that are flush with cash and can go shopping in free agency.  For teams like the Bills, the goal is to maintain their talent level and hopefully add a piece here or there that may give them a slight edge for when the playoffs start.

Losing our CB2 and Beasley is tough but I think on the whole we have at least held the line with the talent on the roster and have made some improvements.  Obviously Von Miller is big but also shoring up our run defense with two big DTs was a nice move.  Williams for Saffold is probably no worse than a push and is probably an upgrade for the O-Line. Putting OJ Howard out there gives the defense one more thing to worry about. 

Ultimately, if we can address the CB position before the start of the season, the Bills should be able to return a team that has not taken a big step backwards and that is great news.  We are a franchise that is clearly "in the window" right now and so far I think Beane is making the moves needed to keep us there.

• Like (+1) 1

Think they will still sign a mid level CB and RB, backup QB, and another mid level lineman though that may wait till after the draft depending on who they draft.

In draft go CB, WR, G/C in first three rounds.  If for some reason they instead pick a tackle in round 3 then I'd sign another mid level G/C instead of tackle.

• Like (+1) 1

Every move in free agency so far has made the roster better.  Beane's moves layout a clear direction for the draft.  CB and WR are probably the priority for the early rounds.  After that maybe an interior o-lineman, a RB, QB, another WR, another CB and a couple of late round fliers.  He could even afford to give away a couple of the late round picks to move up in one of the middle rounds.  Beane does a great job of using free agency to set himself up for the draft.

So far so good, Miller adds that "war daddy" to the defense and Saffold is a better fit than D-Williams along the O-line. While Settle, Jones and Howard were very good depth moves I still think there are weaknesses along the roster that need addressing before the draft. Adding some O-line depth or a starting guard, adding a WR or CB and some LB depth are all points I think could and should be addressed (or at least 2 out of the 3 points) and then go into the draft maybe only needing to address one or two things and the rest of the draft is all depth and future needs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.