Labour Party takes a hit

But everyone everyone in England hates Balir.  They are against the war.  This is a lie, 90% of the people hate him.

330819[/snapback]

Well, he is disliked. The is a majority against the war (and of those that support the war precious few are Labour party supporters).

But his main opponent's unpopularity would probably have had him losing to Dracula in the Transylvanian elections, let alone a sharp political operator like Blair.

No real alternative = another Blair election victory.

Well, he is disliked. The is a majority against the war (and of those that support the war precious few are Labour party supporters).

But his main opponent's unpopularity would probably have had him losing to Dracula in the Transylvanian elections, let alone a sharp political operator like Blair.

No real alternative = another Blair election victory.

330902[/snapback]

When you guys are done with Blair, send him over here.

I guess there are plenty of wacko leftists in America who dislike him, but I have not met any. He is probably one of the most popular persons in the USA.

I understand that many Brits are against the war, as are many Americans.

That said, thank you for being true allies. Imo, the Brittish are a great, strong people with the courage of a lion, and we rely on eachother like no 2 countries in the history of the world.

God bless the great United Kingdom, and thanks again.

I guess there are plenty of wacko leftists in America who dislike him, but I have not met any. He is probably one of the most popular persons in the USA.

That said, thank you for being true allies. Imo, the Brittish are a great, strong people with the courage of a lion, and we rely on eachother like no 2 countries in the history of the world.

330916[/snapback]

You know what Bill? You really know how to keep the rhetoric flowing... I am learning a lot!

I like him because he is articulate. I still dislike him for his stance on the war. It really is in the sales! Get a good closer like TB, who could sell an Eskimo a freezer (in America) and we would have a whole new ballgame.

>>>>>You know what Bill? You really know how to keep the rhetoric flowing... I am learning a lot!<<<<<

Not sure what you mean here but thanks......I guess. :(

Tony Blair was there for us while the bodies of our fallen police officers, firefighters and civilians were still warm. Do you remember how soon the Brittish battleships sailed toward Afghanistan after 9/11? The chips were down, and Blair put his brave soldiers in harms way to aid and protect our country.

I will always consider Blair to be one of the great world leaders of our time.

>>>>>You know what Bill? You really know how to keep the rhetoric flowing... I am learning a lot!<<<<<

Not sure what you mean here but thanks......I guess.  :D

Tony Blair was there for us while the bodies of our fallen police officers, firefighters and civilians were still warm. Do you remember how soon the Brittish battleships sailed toward Afghanistan after 9/11? The chips were down, and Blair put his brave soldiers in harms way to aid and protect our country.

330920[/snapback]

:(

Just read your reply...

:lol::lol:

Not sure what you mean here but thanks......I guess.  :(

330920[/snapback]

To be honest there would not be a single serious politcal leader (or leader in waiting) that would not have done the same over Afghanistan, but Blair is a solid orator and got the things that needed to be done fairly efficiently.

There were differences over Iraq, but again the main opposition would have gone in as well (if not for the exact same reasons...).

To be honest there would not be a single serious politcal leader (or leader in waiting) that would not have done the same over Afghanistan, but Blair is a solid orator and got the things that needed to be done fairly efficiently.

There were differences over Iraq, but again the main opposition would have gone in as well (if not for the exact same reasons...).

330923[/snapback]

Well said!

Please, may I highlight the most important part?

330916[/snapback]

huh? I dislike Blair. I think he's slimy and not to be trusted. That said, I'd probably take him over Bush because I think he actually has his own mind and can think for himself, plus the special interest he serves are not a bunch of right-wing religions fanatics and big fat bloated corporations.

We hung Britain out to dry in WWII - the Brits have cause to be grateful to Japan for Pearl Harbor. Otherwise, who knows what would have happened....

huh?  I dislike Blair.  I think he's slimy and not to be trusted.  That said, I'd probably take him over Bush because I think he actually has his own mind and can think for himself, plus the special interest he serves are not a bunch of right-wing religions fanatics and big fat bloated corporations.

We hung Britain out to dry in WWII - the Brits have cause to be grateful to Japan for Pearl Harbor.  Otherwise, who knows what would have happened....

331149[/snapback]

Who was the president when we "hung them out to dry?"

FDR

"Crippled bastard" is what my "died in the wool" democrat grandfather would call him.

By no means was he a saint!

331299[/snapback]

In hindsight it is easy to say we were left out to dry but considering the politics of the time (and in the previous World War) it is not at all surprising that America did not join the allies until much later.

The Isolationist movement after WWI was extremely strong and there would have been enormous repercussions had FDR led you into war prior to the attack by the Japanese. As it was he ensured Britain had the material to fight the war 'alone' (Although at that time the UK was the only nation in the Nazi firing line after the fall of France we did still have allies (the Empire) and could draw upon a large amount of manpower). Of course this had to come at a price (if it was not for us giving the designs of jet engines as part of the deal Boeing/Airbus would only be bit layers in the aircraft business without havnig to pay the (now non-existant) UK equivalent huge license fees to use the tech, for example), the use of bases around the world, 'lend-lease', etc.

There was a huge myth at the time that the first war was caused by a cabal of evil arms manufacturers, the industrial military complex, and they forced America's hand (which ignored the Prussian Imperialistic ambitions & racism (later to reappear in an even more nasty form under Hitler), plot to attack America by helping Mexico reclaim the territory America had grabbed from her prior to the civil war and the unrestricted submarine warfare of Prussia/Germany).

In all FDR is NOT seen in the UK as someone who let us down, and although there is still some grumbling about the Americans always arriving late overall it is just typical Brits taking the mickey as we are generally well aware that the leadership at the time in the US did all that was practical given the political realities in America. After all in the same way you did not really want to go to war neither did we, and tried very hard to avoid it (leading to the Munich agreement, and then the catastrophes that followed).

huh?  I dislike Blair.  I think he's slimy and not to be trusted.  That said, I'd probably take him over Bush because I think he actually has his own mind and can think for himself, plus the special interest he serves are not a bunch of right-wing religions fanatics and big fat bloated corporations.

We hung Britain out to dry in WWII - the Brits have cause to be grateful to Japan for Pearl Harbor.  Otherwise, who knows what would have happened....

331149[/snapback]

Slimy and not trusted Blair? Well that would make you think like most Brits, despite him still getting elected :o

As for WWII - Probably would have had the communist Iron Curtain end at the English Channel without Pearl Harbour......

In hindsight it is easy to say we were left out to dry but considering the politics of the time (and in the previous World War) it is not at all surprising that America did not join the allies until much later.

The Isolationist movement after WWI was extremely strong and there would have been enormous repercussions had FDR led you into war prior to the attack by the Japanese. As it was he ensured Britain had the material to fight the war 'alone' (Although at that time the UK was the only nation in the Nazi firing line after the fall of France we did still have allies (the Empire) and could draw upon a large amount of manpower). Of course this had to come at a price (if it was not for us giving the designs of jet engines as part of the deal Boeing/Airbus would only be bit layers in the aircraft business without havnig to pay the (now non-existant)  UK equivalent huge license fees to use the tech, for example),  the use of bases around the world, 'lend-lease', etc.

There was a huge myth at the time that the first war was caused by a cabal of evil arms manufacturers, the industrial military complex, and they forced America's hand (which ignored the Prussian Imperialistic ambitions & racism (later to reappear in an even more nasty form under Hitler), plot to attack America by helping Mexico reclaim the territory America had grabbed from her prior to the civil war and the unrestricted submarine warfare of Prussia/Germany).

In all FDR is NOT seen in the UK as someone who let us down, and although there is still some grumbling about the Americans always arriving late overall it is just typical Brits taking the mickey as we are generally well aware that the leadership at the time in the US did all that was practical given the political realities in America. After all in the same way you did not really want to go to war neither did we, and tried very hard to avoid it (leading to the Munich agreement, and then the catastrophes that followed).

331313[/snapback]

I agree. Great insight and history!

My point to Bill was that presidents can't be everything to all people, including people that vote them in (ie: My grandfather)

I don't see FDR as letting down the UK. For some people here, they only see party politics... FDR is the republican public enemy numer 1 because of his New Deal domestic policies that brought us through the GD... Depression that rose out of conservative ideals.

O well!

:o