Two chances to close the door

SectionC3

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

As to the bolded in your 1st paragraph, I think Frazier as much as admitted they were worried about pressing too hard and getting beat in some way. I think it exemplified what I was saying that the level at which both QBs were playing dictated the "pick your poison to die by" defensive decisions. After watching those offensive performances last night, I don't think there is a person that doesn't believe, if the roles were reversed in those last 13 seconds, that Allen would have found a way to get his team in position for a game tying FG as well. Both QBs were unstoppable at that point.

There is a reason Allen and Mahomes are the top rated QBs in fourth quarter metrics. Once they have seen everything opposing defenses throw at them during a game, they will find a way to beat them.

As to the bolded in your 2nd paragraph, I agree 100%. For me, it is Daboll's insistence, at key moments in games when they absolutely needed a first down, to take the ball out of the hands of his top playmakers. The Bills had two 3 and out series last night in which Allen passed on 1st down and then they ran Singletary or McKenzie on 2nd and 3rd downs. To me, the most egregious was their 1st drive of the second half after the defense held KC to a field goal and a 17-14 KC lead. Allen completed a 1st down pass for 7 yards. On 2nd and 3 they run Singletary for 1 yard. On 3rd and 2, they run McKenzie for 1 yard. That, to me, might have been the most important first down that team needed all night. In a playoff game, in that situation, you put the ball in the hands of your best playmaker. Period. At that point, Allen literally had 3 incompletions passing and 50 yards rushing. He is the one the team should live and die by in that situation.

I have never seen two QBs play better in the fourth quarter of a playoff game and, in the end, whichever team was going to win this game came down to winning a coin toss.

I HATED the sequence on offense that you’re talking about.  And I can’t believe that we didn’t go for it on fourth down.  

I’ve been replaying the defensive sequence in my mind repeatedly.  The only thing I would have done differently is mug hill and Kelce on first down.  Otherwise, I kind of understand the idea of coming downhill to make a tackle and keeping every ing in front of the defenders.  It sucks that it didn’t work.  But I wonder if Hill’s speed and the last Chiefs touchdown in regulation (coupled with the fact that our coaches knew that our secondary was out of gas) contributed to that decision.  

Bottom line: the whole thing sucks.  I believe we would have won the Super Bowl had we stopped KC.  But we don’t need to blow anything up.  We’re the second best team in the league, and the margin is paper thin.  Get better in a few areas, and get a few lucky bounces next time, and we’ll be fine. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I HATED the sequence on offense that you’re talking about.  And I can’t believe that we didn’t go for it on fourth down.  

I’ve been replaying the defensive sequence in my mind repeatedly.  The only thing I would have done differently is mug hill and Kelce on first down.  Otherwise, I kind of understand the idea of coming downhill to make a tackle and keeping every ing in front of the defenders.  It sucks that it didn’t work.  But I wonder if Hill’s speed and the last Chiefs touchdown in regulation (coupled with the fact that our coaches knew that our secondary was out of gas) contributed to that decision.  

Bottom line: the whole thing sucks.  I believe we would have won the Super Bowl had we stopped KC.  But we don’t need to blow anything up.  We’re the second best team in the league, and the margin is paper thin.  Get better in a few areas, and get a few lucky bounces next time, and we’ll be fine. 

Agree on all points.

For me, the greatest take aways from last night's game are (1) that Allen truly is every bit as good as Mahomes, that they are the two best QBs in the game, and (2) that if anything, they need to surround Allen with more speed, more playmakers, and more talent along the offensive line. That is today's NFL. If surrounded by really good offensive talent, and playing to his abilities, Allen is going to win far more than he loses. And Allen and Mahomes are just at a different level than any other QBs.

When playing their best, like they did in the 4th quarter last night, I think the only time either loses is if they happen to be playing each other. 

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

When you play a team like the Chiefs you need to have that extra what ever to get it done i think our defensive front was applying pressure all game but Mahomes and Josh are unicorns one minute they are right there the next your going where the hell did he go i had his leg or jersey now he's 15 yards down the field .

That being said it's been proven that these guys although super man like have their Kryptonite which comes in knowing his weapons & putting him in position to not be able to utilize them .

I think the Bills defensive scheme is okay but not elite which is what you need against a team like that ! You can't just sit back and allow those weapons to do their thing & that is what i saw - with 13 seconds left one of the main weapons that Mahomes had at his disposal and is usually that guy is Kelsey you CANNOT let him free !

Mahomes, Kelsey & Hill are your 3 top priorities in that situation (i think you go press man coverage be aggressive especially on those 3) if by keeping them in check you get burned by another player then at least you covered the top priorities as to not get burned .

But with 13 seconds left on the clock Kelsey split i think it was Levi Wallace & Millano went right between the 2 of them with neither of them trying to stop him which you are allowed to hit a player with in 5 yards of the LOS so NAIL HIS ASS !! If nothing else you can disrupt the pattern but they let him run through with no resistance what so ever .

That was the play that allowed them the yardage they needed to get the field goal & tie up the score and it should have never made it that far !!  Josh did what he needed to so did the offense ! 

It comes down to 1 or 2 plays and that was the ONE - IMO because i don't think if they stop that one play there wasn't enough time for anything else but a possible miracle play & they were outside field goal range so unless that miracle happened game over !! 

42 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The pass to Kelce to get into FG range was simply inexcusable…. Just a complete ***** up by the staff. Wallace is out in no mans land by the side lines as Kelce runs right past him up the middle of the field. Dudes protecting the sidelines when KC has one time out left and only 8 seconds at their own 44 yard line. Utter stupidity.  

Milano walked himself out of position.  In my view at least.  I hate the result, but I’m coming around on the concept.  Hill’s speed scared them.  Rightfully so, given what happened earlier. 

Our gameplan (or lack thereof) in those final 13 seconds is what’s to blame. McD and Frazier flat out robbed this team of the win, and robbed Josh Allen of the credit he is due. They botched it. 

Squib or not, how you do not jam the WR’s at the line, and why we insisted on rushing 4 is just beyond me.  Rush 2, let Mahomes run around and burn clock, drop 2 more into coverage, and take holding penalties.  McD needs to address this. 

Our D sucked. But our coaching decisions decided this game. I feel horrible for Josh. He was flat out robbed.  

I seriously am hoping that type of backbreaking loss is one that fuels this team versus breaks them. Still sick to my stomach. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.