My 28 Hours in Buffalo

DD4Bills

For the first time since 1974, a 47 year dry spell, I was finally able to attend a Bills game in Orchard Park. It was a quick trip, but loved every minute of it. The fact that I was able to enjoy it with my daughter made it that much better.

I live in the Chicago area, and my daughter is in Columbus OH. I drove to her on Friday and we drove from Columbus to Buffalo on Saturday in the rain. Our first stop was the Bills Store, where we grabbed warm winter hats and a few other items. The store was pretty packed, and former Bill's player Pete Metzellars was in there walking around buying stuff. Friendly guy and graciously posed for pics with some fans who recognized him.

From there we drove to our hotel in Amherst...still raining but now mixed with some ice/snow pellets. I lived in East Amherst as a kid in the early 70s (hence the 1974 last game), so we took a drive past the old house. Not sure my daughter got as much out of it as I did, but she was impressed when I pointed out the house where Rick Martin lived for a short time around the corner from us. Had a great dinner at 12 Gates brewery. Had a hard time finding it, but worth the effort. Ordered a Pancho's Legacy lager, in honor or Pancho Billa. Highly recommend the Barbacoa Rice Bowl.

Since neither the Sabres nor Bandits were in town, we caught a Buffalo Beauts game (womens professional hockey). Rink was right next to the hotel, so no need to drive around in the icy snowy weather.

Game day was awesome! Cold, but we were prepared for that. Picked up some tailgating supplies, were parked in lot 7 by 9:45, walked all around the lots soaking in the atmosphere (even found Pinto Ron's setup in the Hammer lot), and went into the stadium shortly after the gates opened. Great seats in the 100s on the Bills side near the goal line on the tunnel end of the stadium. Great group of loud enthusiastic fans around us, only a few obnoxious drunks, and a Bill's win! Stayed until the very end and hung out near the end zone by the field as long as possible. Traffic getting out of the lot was as expected, but we were back in Columbus before 10PM.

Awesome weekend, and we both said it will become an annual tradition from here on out. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, DD4Bills said:

The store was pretty packed, and former Bill's player Pete Metzellars was in there walking around buying stuff. Friendly guy and graciously posed for pics with some fans who recognized him.

Even though Knox didn't have a pro bowl performance, I think the Bills are overreacting.

Congratulations on your visit, and the start of a family tradition!

• Like (+1) 1

That would be awesome to make a Bills game each year. Schedule it as soon as the dates are announced and enjoy that time each year. Sounds wonderful~ also gives u a chance to partake in the wonderful food of WNY each year too. And be with the bills mafia. I  hope to attend a game next season and co-op it with a wedding and make it a twofer  :-)))

Cheers mate!

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.