This is what I feared with the constant neglect in drafting offfensive weapons.

whorlnut

Let me start by saying I wouldnt trade Diggs for any receiver. I love that guy and he is elite. 

However, we have an aging Cole Beasley, 57 year old Emmanuel Sanders, and Gabe Davis who hasn’t taken the next step. None of those guys are gonna run away from a defense. They are only good if they are schemed wide open.

I am pleased with Dawson Knox. He’s an athletic tight end that looks to be on his way to being elite. Very happy there. 

Our running game is a complete disaster. It’s so bad. I couldn’t care less what the “stats” say and what our ranking is in run offense. The point is, we aren’t scaring anyone at all with our running backs. In fact, our run offense is mainly boosted by our quarterback, which is a problem in itself. We lack a speedy weapon and that missing piece is showing up more and more each week as defenses keep figuring us out. 

Our lack of spending premium draft capital on the offense is starting to catch up with us. I do not disagree with taking Rousseau last year, but I strongly disliked the Basham pick, mainly because we seemed complacent in spending draft capital on the offense. We literally have no one other than maybe Stephenson in the cupboard to step up after Beasley and sanders are gone.

I know draft position doesn’t always equate to on field success. Diggs is a fifth rounder and is elite. I get that. But look at our defense. How many first round picks are on that unit?  After Allen, the highest bills pick on offense is Cody Ford and he’s a bust. After him, it is a string of third rounders.

My point is this…we need to value offense in the draft more than waiting to get leftovers while more and more premium capital is poured into defense. We don’t have any speed on this team and our line is a complete mess. Darryl Williams had plays today where he completely whiffed on his guy. We had over 100 yards in penalties. It’s a disaster. 

Please Beane…start prioritizing offense. We are resting on our laurels from last year and seemingly expected the same results this year without adding the one thing we need most…speed. 

You are misguided. The issue is in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  We are soft on both lines.  Basham and Doyle were dumb picks.  Neither is doign anythgin to help them win now.  Epenesa is looking more and more like a bust.  Oliver looks adequate but is not a star.  They have obviously no idea how to judge OL talent.  They have tried Ford at three different positions and he is awful at all of them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Let me start by saying I wouldnt trade Diggs for any receiver. I love that guy and he is elite. 

However, we have an aging Cole Beasley, 57 year old Emmanuel Sanders, and Gabe Davis who hasn’t taken the next step. None of those guys are gonna run away from a defense. They are only good if they are schemed wide open.

I am pleased with Dawson Knox. He’s an athletic tight end that looks to be on his way to being elite. Very happy there. 

Our running game is a complete disaster. It’s so bad. I couldn’t care less what the “stats” say and what our ranking is in run offense. The point is, we aren’t scaring anyone at all with our running backs. In fact, our run offense is mainly boosted by our quarterback, which is a problem in itself. We lack a speedy weapon and that missing piece is showing up more and more each week as defenses keep figuring us out. 

Our lack of spending premium draft capital on the offense is starting to catch up with us. I do not disagree with taking Rousseau last year, but I strongly disliked the Basham pick, mainly because we seemed complacent in spending draft capital on the offense. We literally have no one other than maybe Stephenson in the cupboard to step up after Beasley and sanders are gone.

I know draft position doesn’t always equate to on field success. Diggs is a fifth rounder and is elite. I get that. But look at our defense. How many first round picks are on that unit?  After Allen, the highest bills pick on offense is Cody Ford and he’s a bust. After him, it is a string of third rounders.

My point is this…we need to value offense in the draft more than waiting to get leftovers while more and more premium capital is poured into defense. We don’t have any speed on this team and our line is a complete mess. Darryl Williams had plays today where he completely whiffed on his guy. We had over 100 yards in penalties. It’s a disaster. 

Please Beane…start prioritizing offense. We are resting on our laurels from last year and seemingly expected the same results this year without adding the one thing we need most…speed. 

The biggest issue going into this past off season was the Defensive line so using their first two picks there wasn't a terrible decision by any means , they then used their next 3 picks on offense

In 2020, their 1st round pick essentially was Diggs, 2nd rounder was on D, but their next three picks were all on offense, besides AJ only one other defensive pick

In 2019 their 1st rounder was Oliver, but after that next three picks were all on offense including two 3rd rounders.  Late picks did go to the defense

And in 2018 you had Allen who they also used other picks on mainly 2nd rounders, then Edmunds, and Phillips, and late picks that year on offense.

So really not so sure you can argue that they've ignored the offense as much as the picks they made haven't done so well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.