New York Dolls

bflo83

After seeing some of the OT posts on favorite albums at TSW, I know there are some Dolls fans in the audience. If any of you are in the NYC area I recommend you try and catch them at Irving Plaza tonight (Sat. 4/30). It's the last night of a three night stand and possibly the last area chance to catch a bit of rock and roll history.

I went last night and had a blast. It's just David Johansen and Sylvain Sylvain left from the original band (that's what happens when the rest of the band members are dead...) but they had the bass player from Hanoi Rocks along with some other players and they were tight as hell.

Here's the set list:

Lookin' For A Kiss

Puss 'N' Boots

Subway Train

Piece Of My Heart (Janis Joplin cover - great!!)

Bad Girl

You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory ->Lonely Planet Boy

Private World

Pills (AMAZING!!!!!!!!!)

We're all in Love (a new song)

Mystery Girls

Frankenstein

Out In The Street (Shangri-La's cover)

Trash

Jet Boy

Personality Crisis

Encore: Human Being

Johansen and Sylvain were having a blast joking around and just digging the crowd reaction. If you were ever into the Dolls this is a must see.

Thunders was the man. Unreal. None of these guys get props for being great guitar players because of the type of music they played, but they did it with people throwing bottles at them and spitting on them, and in some cases they did it in high heels. Johnny Thunders, Bob Stinson, Cheetah Chrome, Billy Zoom, Richie Stotts. Music sucks today.

Thanks for posting about the Dolls. It's raining up here. I know what I'm doing today.

Johansen and The Clash opened for the Who at the Ralph ( then Rich Stadium ) in 1981.

324886[/snapback]

Age is catching up to you - The Who show at Rich was 1982. The Stones played in 1981.

I had last night's show penciled in the calendar, but had a little too much fun in the afternoon to be awake at night :devil:

When did he give up being Buster Poindexter?

324902[/snapback]

It's been quite a few years. After killing off Buster, he was doing some stuff as David Johansen and the Harry Smiths (I think they were doing roots blues music and stuff like that - I never heard any of it). A few years ago he did some shows as David Johansen where he did his Dolls stuff and his rock & roll solo stuff. Then the Dolls reunion last year and now this, the closest to a tour the Dolls have done in almost 30 years.

I saw them at the Underground Garage show at Randalls Island last summer and they were really good but this weekend's show at Irving Plaza was great.