The Athletic All-22 Review - Bills/WFT

HappyDays

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

I haven't said that at all and am not worried about that. Joe B made footwork the main point of his article as the main problem, and he was wrong. That's what I've been saying this whole time.

It's a losing argument to say otherwise, which I assume is why you now want to portray me as being "hung up" on something else.

Nah it isn't cos it is true. He was missing throws because his feet were all over the place. He wasn't setting them even when he had clean pockets. The evidence is all over the tape. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah it isn't cos it is true. He was missing throws because his feet were all over the place. He wasn't setting them even when he had clean pockets. The evidence is all over the tape. 

And that's a mental problem, right? Stemming from tactical issues the offense was having?

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

And that's a mental problem, right? Stemming from tactical issues the offense was having?

It was a mental issue coming from protection issues that manifested itself in footwork breakdowns that meant Josh missed plays even when the protection did hold. He was always going to relax and just learn to trust his guys and settle down. 

18 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think the disconnect here might be that he didn't have bad footwork because he has bad footwork, he had bad footwork because he didn't/wasn't put in a position to use his good footwork well enough.

It was mental first and technical second, for sure. I said that a page back.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It was a mental issue coming from protection issues that manifested itself in footwork breakdowns that meant Josh missed plays even when the protection did hold. He was always going to relax and just learn to trust his guys and settle down. 

It was mental first and technical second, for sure. I said that a page back.

Exactly. Which is why Joe B was wrong when he said Allen's problem was footwork.

It's like saying my problem is a sore throat when I actually have the flu. Other pundits correctly diagnosed the problem.

The D Line didn't look as good as the last 2 games and it was a bit of a let down, but I also think that they were being mindful of Heinicke getting outside of the pocket, which he still did, but when they kept him hemmed in he wasn't very effective.  I mean he wasn't really very effective either way, but I do think that they respected his ability to move, maybe even too much.  I think they wanted more pressure still, but I don't think that they were crashing the pocket like they were against the Dolphins and Steelers.

The problem with Josh the first 2 games was that he was looking to make a play downfield too much and pressing instead of taking advantage of the plays that were there.    Whatever footwork was or was not problematic didn't matter as much as that.  Watching those first 2 games and where the passes were going, you could just tell that if they changed the focus to hitting passes quicker and not as far upfield that the passing game would resemble last year.  That's exactly what happened.  

I don't have the Athletic subscription and didn't read the whole article last week, but if he is focusing on footwork and not the part about where Josh was going with the ball, then he is missing the bigger picture.  The gameplan and playcalls against Pittsburgh weren't a shining moment for Daboll either, and I think last week, it was still a bit of pushing it downfield without really setting it up with effective high percentage passing.