The Buffalo Bills, Built for the Future of Football

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

Interesting.

Where are these tackling depth statistics coming from; Saw a Twitter mention, but interested in where the source data is coming from and how it is determined. Seems odd to me when the league average yards per carry is around 4 yards per carry each year with the lowest average usually around 3 yards. 

Last season we gave up an average of 4.3 YPC... with Edmunds in on the bulk of our tackles the numbers seem off. Of course Edmunds could be the statistical outlier on the team with all the TFLs or tackles for no gain, but my eyes tell me that was not the case last season.

Perhaps I just am not getting what they mean by "tackling depth", but those numbers seem ambitious for just about any off-the-ball linebacker let alone Edmunds coming up to make stops.

E1mIA5MXIAIO3ZL?format=png&name=large

2.6 average depth of tackle

As a whole our team was 4.3 yards per carry... That includes tackles by safeties and cornerbacks 

The statistic means every time Milano and Tremaine tackled somebody on a run play... The average was 2.6 

Now that Doesn't account for run plays where he didn't make the tackle... But when he does get a read.. he reacts pretty quick to run

Edited by Buffalo716

59 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

E1mIA5MXIAIO3ZL?format=png&name=large

2.6 average depth of tackle

As a whole our team was 4.3 yards per carry... That includes tackles by safeties and cornerbacks 

The statistic means every time Milano and Tremaine tackled somebody on a run play... The average was 2.6 

Now that Doesn't account for run plays where he didn't make the tackle... But when he does get a read.. he reacts pretty quick to run

So when he goes for a tackle on a run and does not miss or the runner does not break through an arm tackle these are his stats....

Interesting. Honestly trying to determine if I think it is meaningful and not just being difficult.

10 minutes ago, WideNine said:

So when he goes for a tackle on a run and does not miss or the runner does not break through an arm tackle these are his stats....

Interesting. Honestly trying to determine if I think it is meaningful and not just being difficult.

he missed 15 tackles last year, while playing banged up 

Definitely not a good number.. but not enough to really skew that number that we just talked about

And some of those missed tackles were on passes 

So let's say 10 missed run tackles out of 90+ tackles  

It might move the needle a bit but not that much.. seeing as the tackle is probably cleaned up two yards later by Milano or Hyde / poyer 

I don't think the stat means much

But it means that he sticks the running around the line of scrimmage a lot

Edited by Buffalo716

13 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Defense.  It always strikes me as odd when people refer to the Bills as a 4-3 defense.  The Bills are a Nickel D.  We employed the Nickel an astounding 91% of the time last season – the most in the NFL by a wide margin.  In fact, it was the most in the hundred-year history of the NFL. 

Agree it is built for the pass both offense and defense.  Even special teams are built for it.  They replaced punter with one who can kick it out of endzone reliably and is better at pinning in endzone (when winds do not play with ball).  Same returner - they replaced someone who was steady but non make big plays by a player who can make very big plays.  This plays into current design for the Bills are trying to prevent big plays and they want as many plays as possible to defend and for offense having some as good field position as possible.

One point however - both of the starting LBs were injured at one point and that contributed to nickel defense for #5 LB or even #4 LB was not as good as #3 CB.

• Like (+1) 1