didn't see anything about them selling the TOPS

change to any other company, I know RDA also

owns the GIANT food stores down here in

Virgina/Maryland

Just curious if any of the locals have heard

anything...

If this is true, I'm sure Armand is rolling over

in his grave....

I don't shop at TOPS, I prefer Wegmans, it's way better.......

321682[/snapback]

We have Tops here in Cleveland but no Wegman's.

However, there is a similar (to Wegman's) locally owned store called Heinen's, noted for its high quality and reasonable prices. They have in-store cafes and coffee roasters. The food from the cafe is quite good...I eat there for lunch sometimes.

Heinen's (Cleveland)

Mike

We have Tops here in Cleveland but no Wegman's. 

However, there is a similar (to Wegman's) locally owned store called Heinen's, noted for its high quality and reasonable prices.  They have in-store cafes and coffee roasters.  The food from the cafe is quite good...I eat there for lunch sometimes.

Heinen's (Cleveland)

Mike

321709[/snapback]

Dude, you have no idea what its all about. I went to school in Cleveland, and seriously, Heinan's can't even touch Wegman's. Not even close.

Oh, and Topp's Blows.

Just the Amherst store is being renamed as a Martin's. It is still owned by the same company, but they are using a different format for this store. Ahold has previously converted stores ot the Martin's name in other parts of the country and have had a positive response.

I haven't heard of any wholesale change for all of the Tops stores.

Supposedly, Martin's will be formatted similar to Wegman's with an everyday low price format as opposed to the high price with lots of buy one get one free offers at the Tops stores.

I live in WNY and have not heard anything about the sale of the stores. I know that Wilson Farms is for sale by Ahold as they are wanting to get out of the convenient store business.

Dude, you have no idea what its all about. I went to school in Cleveland, and seriously, Heinan's can't even touch Wegman's. Not even close.

321717[/snapback]

I've seen Wegman's in suburban Buffalo, but I've never been in one.

However, since Wegman's is supposed to be the best company in America to work for, according to Fortune magazine, your statement may well be true.

But Heinen's is much higher in quality than any of the other Cleveland grocery chains (including Tops), so I don't have much to compare it to.

BTW, where in Cleveland did you go to school?

Mike

I believe Tops Markets was aquired quite some time ago by Giant,who also owns Martins..So all the same stores for the most part,just different concepts..

And I have also heard the same rumor though that all Tops will be slowly converting to the Martins name,but only once a face lift or make over was done on an existing store..Not really sure why the change though..

for those that have not checked out the site for Martins,not a bad store lay out..

Martins Super Food Store

Here is a press release I found at the Tops site about the new store opening:

http://www.topsmarkets.com/shareddev/tops_...fm?press_id=144

Even without reading the press release, it's obvious they are the same company, just by looking at the HTML layout at the top of the pages.

IMO they converted that particular store to Martins to compete in the upscale shoppers market against the nearby Wegmans. IIRC there is also a Tops very close to a Wegmans on Sheridan Dr. near Evans, I wouldn't be surprised if that gets converted soon as well.

What is the fascination with supermarkets?  Why is it supposed to be some gentry experience?

You go in... Get your food and leave!  No sipping coffee and other gimicky crap!

Bring back Dubel's and Harvest The Best! (West Seneca).

:doh:

321768[/snapback]

I don't think there is any fasicnation. Just folks discussing things about where they buy things to eat.

It's not class warfare - it's just food and which merchant satisfies the buyers...

I've seen Wegman's in suburban Buffalo, but I've never been in one.

However, since Wegman's is supposed to be the best company in America to work for, according to Fortune magazine, your statement may well be true.

But Heinen's is much higher in quality than any of the other Cleveland grocery chains (including Tops), so I don't have much to compare it to.

BTW, where in Cleveland did you go to school?

Mike

321733[/snapback]

All I can say is that I was a former classmate of the great London Fletcher.

I don't think there is any fasicnation.  Just folks discussing things about where they buy things to eat.

It's not class warfare - it's just food and which merchant satisfies the buyers...

321776[/snapback]

I understand.

Nothing wrong with class warfare! :lol:

:doh:

But, really... It would be nice to turn back to the days when 1 or 2 markets didn't have to fight over ALL the market share! Days when big companies didn't buy out local names.

Well, ever since Wegmans stopped sponsoring/partnering with the Bills and Tops took over - I know prefer Tops over Wegmans.

It's all about supporting the corpations that support the Bills.

Just my thoughts.

ps: I wish they would open a Whole Foods in BUF. Great store.

Well, ever since Wegmans stopped sponsoring/partnering with the Bills and Tops took over - I know prefer Tops over Wegmans.

It's all about supporting the corpations that support the Bills.

Just my thoughts.

ps: I wish they would open a Whole Foods in BUF.  Great store.

321790[/snapback]

Trader Joe's is nice for "uppity" type selection. :doh:

Not sure if they are in WNY? Based out of MA?

Small, nice gourmet selection and not over done. Prices are reasonable too!

I was in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia once, right at the base of the

Petronas Towers one of the largest buildings in the world there

was a Tops Friendly Market. I asked the manager who owned them

and he said "thank you for asking sir, we are a dutch concern with

some stores in New York." This was in 2001

What I really miss though are the Super Duper commercials....

not 69cents, not 59 cents, not 49 cents, not even 39 cents, but

29 cents, this week at Super Duper.

My uncle was one of the founding fathers of Tops (specially that very Maple location). He sold his shares a while back before it became the mega store it was but he cleaned up pretty well.

The Tops Int'l on Maple was changed to Martin's because they are going after the Wegmans across the street. That Wegmans is their higgest money getter and Tops Int'l took a big hit. So they are trying the Martin's name there. Who knows though, they might change them all eventually. I think that would be bad though, WNYer's like WNY companies. Tops and Wegmans are WNY. Martin's isn't.