One of the Last True Statesmen in DC

My comment in the Covid Mandate thread got me to thinking of leadership and bi-partisan teamwork in DC.  Barber Conable was one of the last true Leaders and Statemen in DC.  I had the luxury of growing up in the very small town of Alexander (pop 509) where Barber made his away for DC home.  I loved snooping around his house when I was little and would hang out with his son when they were in town.  Here is a very good article on the passing of Barber in 2003.  A great read!  Miss you Barber there will likely never be one like you in DC again. 

http://hnn.us/articles/1848.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Reminds of an old Bloom County comic.  Opus was running for VP and said he was a statesman and Milo corrected him, telling him he's a politician.  Opus asked what was the difference.  The reply was that a statesman is a dead politician.  The punch line was "we need more statesmen."

Some things are timeless.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Reminds of an old Bloom County comic.  Opus was running for VP and said he was a statesman and Milo corrected him, telling him he's a politician.  Opus asked what was the difference.  The reply was that a statesman is a dead politician.  The punch line was "we need more statesmen."

Some things are timeless.

I remember that one. 

After I got into finance I was back "home" visiting my mom.  She said "you need to go down and talk to Barber"   I said I will....maybe later.  I never did.  There are few things I regret in life and that was one of them.  Never talking to Barber before he passed.  

Another mom/Barber story.  Barber had a tree put in front of every house in Alexander. The one in front of ours died.  Mom said it was because they were Democrats.  LOL 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

My comment in the Covid Mandate thread got me to thinking of leadership and bi-partisan teamwork in DC.  Barber Conable was one of the last true Leaders and Statemen in DC.  I had the luxury of growing up in the very small town of Alexander (pop 509) where Barber made his away for DC home.  I loved snooping around his house when I was little and would hang out with his son when they were in town.  Here is a very good article on the passing of Barber in 2003.  A great read!  Miss you Barber there will likely never be one like you in DC again. 

http://hnn.us/articles/1848.html

Classy politicians are a thing of the past unfortunately.

It has frankly surprised me how much more polished the political operators are in the corporate world vs the actual political world.