Jags: Open competition at QB to start week 1 (update - it’s over)

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Well it's never just one person at fault. With that said imo it became clear afterwards he couldn't get it done without that type of system

Not saying you are wrong. But both those teams were nightmares for QBs. Maybe if he had a chance with a good offense, with a good offensive line, he'd have a better outcome irrespective of the scheme.

8 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I watched the first half of the Bears game thinking they have to start Justin Fields at qb for the sake of the team.

After watching the second half, I realized they have to start Andy Dalton for the sake of Justin Fields... He needs time to develop or else he's going to get killed. 

But again, it is tough to evaluate that if he doesn’t ever get practice or game reps with starters. Last week was the first practice where he got any reps with the 1s and it still wasn’t many. I’m not worried about fields either way, he will play eventually and maybe this Is the best way and all the other teams who held real qb competitions are wrong. But the bears act like dalton is 2017 Alex smith and they need to give fields the mahomes treatment. Maybe he is, but he hasn’t looked like it in a few years.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I watched the first half of the Bears game thinking they have to start Justin Fields at qb for the sake of the team.

After watching the second half, I realized they have to start Andy Dalton for the sake of Justin Fields... He needs time to develop or else he's going to get killed. 

His pocket awareness is bad, and the Bears OL won't being doing any starting QB any favors. Similar situation to JAX IMO

20 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Was that against back-ups mostly? Or a mixture? I don't know because I didn't pay but so much attention. Not sure how many teams have been sitting many starters like the Bills have. Either way the true test of how their OL holds up is yet to be seen.

NFL Network was taking about most ready to start rookie QBs and Mac Jones and Zack Wilson were both the consensus.

Jones because of the strength of the Pats OL and what hoodie needs to have a successful team, which is a game manager

Wilson because he looks calm and collected, the game doesn't look to fast for him. Someone did note that he has played mostly against backups.

2 hours ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

NFL Network was taking about most ready to start rookie QBs and Mac Jones and Zack Wilson were both the consensus.

Jones because of the strength of the Pats OL and what hoodie needs to have a successful team, which is a game manager

Wilson because he looks calm and collected, the game doesn't look to fast for him. Someone did note that he has played mostly against backups

Yeah, I mean that's something to take with a grain of salt. Won't be long now at all that it will be seen how ready they actually are. Those predictions like that are wrong a lot of times too.

I don't expect much from either of those QBs myself. I think they will have a tough ride and expect nothing more than average rookie QB play at best. I definitely don't think either will have a rookie season like J. Herbert did last year. Not even in the same ball park.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins
  • Like (+1) 1