CFL to delay season, Argos owners want to "scrap" the league

6 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

And that is of course the main difference

But what about all the others? Differences in length and width of the field (wwwaaaaayyyy too big BTW, it sucks as a fan), different end zone size, goal post at the zero yard line, 12 players vs 11, 1 point by kicking in the end zone, 3 minute warning, different game clock management and stoppages, and on and on and on. Don't tell me that for many of these it's not just to be different! Childish, even.

Read that article. Field size also applies. But I'm sure other CFL rules came along after to make it even more different. I really doubt those differences were made in spite to the NFL. They are a separate league and they evolved in their own way.

There are stories on this CFL-XFL thing almost daily but I'm not posting them unless something really stands out. But the gist is the CFL is in a world of hurt. Merging with the XFL might help them (or not) but it would require them to give up their Canadian identity (rules differences) which matters to many of their fans.  Not that the XFL is in great shape either. I think the Rock and his partners are trying to create an international league (Mexico maybe) that they can entice the TV networks with.  Right now the odds are against both leagues.,

Edited by PromoTheRobot

28 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Read that article. Field size also applies. But I'm sure other CFL rules came along after to make it even more different. I really doubt those differences were made in spite to the NFL. They are a separate league and they evolved in their own way.

There are stories on this CFL-XFL thing almost daily but I'm not posting them unless something really stands out. But the gist is the CFL is in a world of hurt. Merging with the XFL might help them (or not) but it would require them to give up their Canadian identity (rules differences) which matters to many of their fans.  Not that the XFL is in great shape either. I think the Rock and his partners are trying to create an international league (Mexico maybe) that they can entice the TV networks with.  Right now the odds are against both leagues.,

NFL has changed rules many, many times so focusing on Canadian rule changes make no sense.  Did NFL make changes to spite CFL?

There are some rules I think XFL would adopt from CFL in any merger and would have less issue than CFL although CFL seems to be looking (as do some CFL teams) are looking for new blood.   I do think the XFL owners may able to bring capital into CFL including new advertisers and sponsors.  

This combined league will not become a USFL or AFL competition so if they want to thrive they need to align with NFL somehow to make it more appealing to players like NFL Europe.

Let's stop pretending the NFL and CFL are on the same level, maybe? Talent, MONEY, audience, number of teams, etc. Like it or not, NFL is THE league. So yeah, CFL is mostly different to have their "Canadian identity". NFL barely pay attention to them.  I didn't say it was like that in the past, I'm talking NOW

I wonder what are the CANADIAN audiences for the CFL compared to the NFL. Besides in Alberta maybe, and even there, I'd bet NFL draws more ratings.

A XFL league with US-Canada-Mexico  teams, in spring time, that could really be good.