Bills sign OL Jamil Douglas

16 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I wonder if this is just a camp body.  Didn't they more or less bring everyone back, plus sign some other OL too?  Whose spot is he going to take? Perhaps Winters'.  Ty is gone too, but he's a tackle and this guy is interior. How many backup spots are available and who's in the mix?  I have no issue with this signing or others like it, I'm just wondering what he fits in. 

He might not ultimately fit in but I think he's more than the typical camp body.

I think Beane gets guys who can legitimately compete - if not for a starting spot than at least a backup role.

With a few exceptions, it used to be fairly easy to predict the final 53 before camp even began.   It's harder now with Beane.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

He might not ultimately fit in but I think he's more than the typical camp body.

I think Beane gets guys who can legitimately compete - if not for a starting spot than at least a backup role.

With a few exceptions, it used to be fairly easy to predict the final 53 before camp even began.   It's harder now with Beane.

If you assume these guys’ agents aren’t morons, I can’t see them signing this early in free agency before the draft if they don’t think they have a reasonably good shot to make the final 53.  Beane is up to 70 signed players and very few are what would be considered camp bodies.  Almost all 70 guys have had significant playing time in the NFL.  Good luck making this team as a rookie if you aren’t drafted in the first 3 rounds.  

• Like (+1) 1