Trying to convince my favorite bar to serve beef on weck. But in Massachusetts

Behindenemylines

I know I’m going to take some heat for this but here goes. Beef on Weck pretty much sucks.  First.  Waaaaaay to much salt in the bun.  I always brush most of it off.  Second I love spicy but horseradish is an ingredient not a condiment.  Kind of like wasabi on sushi.  You take something as delicate as raw fish and slather it in nose hair removing fire. 😏

I do have one every time I visit just to remind me why I left. I kid..I kid. 😂

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions.  I’ll be passing some recipes along and hopefully phase 1 is a success.  

next will be Sunday ticket and then Bills game specials.   Gonna be a chore here in Pats country but knowing the Bills fans if we build it they will come!

thanks all and Go Bills!

2 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions.  I’ll be passing some recipes along and hopefully phase 1 is a success.  

next will be Sunday ticket and then Bills game specials.   Gonna be a chore here in Pats country but knowing the Bills fans if we build it they will come!

thanks all and Go Bills!

Good luck... Your welcome.  Again, pure bar food.  In the old days, when they were invented, the sandwiches were gratis... Salted rolls so the workers would drink more BEER.

FWIW... My BiL is from the Boston area... A lover of all things Bawston and his grandmother's baked beans... IE: Obnoxious to the core.  Anyway... He loved the lowbrow, "salt of the earth" beef on weck when he was first introduced to it back when my mother was living (pre 1999).  And yes, it was made with gravy.

It's bar food, fare for the salt of the earth... So I guess there is a redeeming quality about my BiL... Yankee frugality and sensibly overrides coastal snobism... Even if he thinks BFLo is an outpost on the Niagara Frontier and a million miles away in Indian Country.  

Try not to make it out to be more than anything more.  Get a big piece of suet and slap it on top of the top round while it cooks.  Cook it rare, easy to slice and it will finish in the gravy. Kimmelweck is just a salted Kaiser roll with caraway.  It's really not that hard. Gasp: finish it off in a CrockPot... 😆

😃😊

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.