WR, Isaiah Hodgins - Where does he fit?

wppete

24 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think the latter will happen. I see Brown and Roberts gone. They'll keep McKittrick as your return guy with the occasional gadget play.  I think Hodgins will have a shot as the last wr.

I think they keep Roberts, I can't see him being super expensive in a cap crunch and one botched return can easily cost you a game. Roberts also was a really good punt returner last season. Each game he would have one or two returns that while not game breaking would get you 10-15 yards extra in a smart safe way that add up in the field position game. As a kick returner he wasn't great but he was far from bad. If he is willing to come back on the cheap I could easily see him being back. 

Brown I think they will ask to stay if he is willing to take a pay cut. If not then I think they make the hard choice and take the space to use elsewhere. So it will come down to can he be willing to take a reduction in pay? Mac is another one where I think they simply name their price and he sees if that is better than what he can get on the open market. I think at the very least one of them is gone so there will be a spot for Hodgins. If I had to guess it would be Brown and Roberts stay and Mac is gone. As I think they can duplicate Mac's production with Hodgins more easily. 

https://theathletic.com/2420361/2021/03/03/the-10-under-the-radar-bills-players-who-could-seize-an-opportunity-in-2021/

WR Isaiah Hodgins

Hodgins didn’t play in a game as a rookie while he dealt with a shoulder injury, but the Bills’ sixth-round pick did get to sit in a loaded receiver room and soak up knowledge. Hodgins’ college receiver coach Kefense Hynson told me after the draft last year that Hodgins was an intellectually stimulating player to coach because of his curiosity and willingness to learn.

“He was a guy that you knew would get the most out of everything you gave him,” Hynson said then. “You’re working on a masters level of football with him. We’re watching different receivers, different ways guys run routes, different ways guys create separation and having those conversations. That was on his own time. That was us having our football meetings and then him finding some time to watch some cut-ups and do some extra work mentally. We would break down coverages, talk about routes and just embrace the craft. That’s the difference between Isaiah and other guys.”

In that sense, a redshirt year wasn’t the worst thing for Hodgins. He looked the part of an NFL receiver during training camp last season, making contested catches and getting separation in the few days he got to work against the Bills’ starting corners. If either John Brown or Isaiah McKenzie depart this offseason, Hodgins might have an opening to see more playing time in 2021. He was known for making circus catches at Oregon State, so don’t be surprised if you see his name pop up during camp or even regular season action next season.