A trend I expect in the NFL, Watson and Wilson related (Therapist perspective)

Reader

There have been a lot of coaching styles in the NFL and I personally think we are going to start to see a trend of players and coaches having a more collaborative partnership. I think at the end of the day the coach/owner/GM will call the shots, but I think the day of players not having a voice is going to disappear. I think this is the reason we are seeing Watson and Wilson acting in the way that they are.

It is debatable as to how much power they should have, if they're being selfish wanting to be traded, etc...

McD - For many of us, we are very satisfied with McD as a coach and I think at different points in time each of us have been won over. For me, one of the most influential things was this.

Twitter post on how McD interacts with his players

What is the common thread with Wilson and Watson? They feel unheard/not valued when it comes to input (cue the trolls well informed posters who want to talk about $$$) And at the end of the day it also will come down to trust. Players feel heard by McD and feel that their opinions will matter. (Albeit not be the deciding factor are going to trust McD.) Free agents are going to want to play for the Bills where the team feels like a bunch of people working towards the same goal.

A therapist's perspective-

Having worked with couple's and family's trust is integral in being able to help a couple (can interchange family here) work through whatever it is they are struggling with. Try to implement a new way to talk through issues? Both members have to trust the other person will listen to them, respect boundaries, etc...what are some of the most essential things to building trust/a good relationship? 1. Making an effort to understanding the other person's point of view, 2. Appreciating the other person, 3. The other person's opinion is something that will be taken into account and valued (not necessarily acted on, but valued).

I think the Bills and other organizations are starting to set a precedence, one I am glad we are ahead of the curve on (how many players seem to have loved their time here in the last couple of years?) and I think other players are going to expect more from their organizations as well.

Of course there will still be Diva's and some players will be unreasonable/wanting more and also winning cures a lot of ails.  Personally, I think Wilson and Watson might be the start of a trend that we might see more of from players in the future.

Obviously if you listen to the fans you'll end up with them still rings true, but there is a middle ground here that I think the Bills are currently hitting. 

• Like (+1) 4

All this is circular. Power moved from the QBs to the Coaches, many of which gained Full GM or partial GM responsibilities. Now I think that is reverting to back to separate GM and coach roles with QBs feeling like they have a say on play calling and personnel. Personally and professionally I've always thought that when groups adopt structured collaborative efforts over the long term they are more successful.

On another note I do not view the Wilson and Watson situations being the same thing.  Watson had discussions and commitments were made to him. He played the season with the understanding that those commitments would be kept. They were not and as a result he has been crystal clear what his expectations are. Wilson on the other hand seems to have different motivations. He's putting out a mixed message of if I were to be traded I'd like to go one of these teams. Seattle has in the past tried to make him the centerpiece with mixed results. Not given the ball to beast mode is a perfect example.

I'm not say that Wilson doesn't have the right to speak his mind but we shouldn't automatically equate his situation to Watsons.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

On another note I do not view the Wilson and Watson situations being the same thing.  Watson had discussions and commitments were made to him. He played the season with the understanding that those commitments would be kept. They were not and as a result he has been crystal clear what his expectations are. Wilson on the other hand seems to have different motivations. He's putting out a mixed message of if I were to be traded I'd like to go one of these teams. Seattle has in the past tried to make him the centerpiece with mixed results. Not given the ball to beast mode is a perfect example.

I'm not say that Wilson doesn't have the right to speak his mind but we shouldn't automatically equate his situation to Watsons.

Fair point. Perhaps it is best to equate that both believe they were wronged and didn't have their opinion's valued, but Watson certainly seems to have things been more clear in terms of what had happened to him and what he wants in return.

5 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

All this is circular. Power moved from the QBs to the Coaches, many of which gained Full GM or partial GM responsibilities. Now I think that is reverting to back to separate GM and coach roles with QBs feeling like they have a say on play calling and personnel. Personally and professionally I've always thought that when groups adopt structured collaborative efforts over the long term they are more successful.

No we shouldn't because Wilson has brought his team to the playoffs 8 of his 9 years, and with him, the went to 2 SBs and won one (what you have dubbed "mixed results").   Watson has been involved in 1 playoff win.  

At the time, or even months after the Texans traded away Hopkins, did Watson make about loud noises about his profound displeasure with the organization?  No.  Instead, before the season started, he actually wept with joy at the signing of his new contract with the team as it was configured at the beginning of the season.  The commitments Watson received involved moves to be made after the season ended, for the most part.

Wilson didn't chose not to give Beastmode the ball...their 70 year old HC did though.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No we shouldn't because Wilson has brought his team to the playoffs 8 of his 9 years, and with him, the went to 2 SBs and won one (what you have dubbed "mixed results").   Watson has been involved in 1 playoff win.  

At the time, or even months after the Texans traded away Hopkins, did Watson make about loud noises about his profound displeasure with the organization?  No.  Instead, before the season started, he actually wept with joy at the signing of his new contract with the team as it was configured at the beginning of the season.  The commitments Watson received involved moves to be made after the season ended, for the most part.

Wilson didn't chose not to give Beastmode the ball...their 70 year old HC did though.

How'd the whole let Russ cook thing go again this year?

And to answer your question about Watson, no he didn't make loud noises about his profound displeasure with the organization. He was a professional and kept it in house. When the organization completely went back on its word he was left with little choice. 

if you go back and read what I originally posted you'd see that I said that Wilson has the right to speak his mind. I think Watson at least gave a terrible organization the opportunity to do the right thing and Wilson just seems to blame everyone but himself. In the words of Richard Sherman back in 2018 …“He protected him,” one Seahawk says. “And we hated that. Any time he f—– up, Pete would never say anything. Not in a team meeting, not publicly, never. If Russ had a terrible game, he would always talk about how resilient he was. We’re like, what the f— are you talking about?” 

37 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

How'd the whole let Russ cook thing go again this year?

And to answer your question about Watson, no he didn't make loud noises about his profound displeasure with the organization. He was a professional and kept it in house. When the organization completely went back on its word he was left with little choice. 

if you go back and read what I originally posted you'd see that I said that Wilson has the right to speak his mind. I think Watson at least gave a terrible organization the opportunity to do the right thing and Wilson just seems to blame everyone but himself. In the words of Richard Sherman back in 2018 …“He protected him,” one Seahawk says. “And we hated that. Any time he f—– up, Pete would never say anything. Not in a team meeting, not publicly, never. If Russ had a terrible game, he would always talk about how resilient he was. We’re like, what the f— are you talking about?” 

4212 yards, 40 TDs on 13 ints, 105 rating, 12-4 and won the divisions with a crappy D.

Was that a real question?

• Like (+1) 1