Playoff Structure idea

Warcodered

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I get that concept.......but if Dalton and Boyd don't hook up for that fluke TD the Bills would have basically gone 2 full decades between playoff games.........that stretch was incredibly cruel to this fanbase.

And who knows what happens here without that spark.........it bought McBeane space to tear it down some more if nothing else.

It's probably one of the last reasonable and most harmless ways for the NFL to add some more parity to offset the fact that teams with great QB's can dominate for 15 years at a time.   

My answer to moribund franchises like this one was for two decades would be - just be better. In that whole run we finished above .500 twice. Not like we went 9-7 six times and kept cruelly missing out. We missed out 'cos we sucked. 

I suggest that whatever teams the league wants to put into the playoffs, go with that list and the seeding that results.  Then instead of forcing the top seeded team to play the lowest seeded team, let the top seed that doesn't have a bye pick its opponent, then the second seed picks its opponent, etc. 

Sometimes a lower seed team is playing better at the end of the year than a team with a great record but which has been falling off in the last month.  The stronger team gets seeded lower, so the highest seeded team plays the team that's playing the best. 

And, in a year when the NFCE is a total joke, why should the fifth seed in the NFC get to play the least-bad team in the NFCE, instead of whichever team gets the second seed?  I would rather see the second seed choose the NFCE team as its reward for a great season where the Packers just dominated.

Then, go through the process again after the first round of playoffs.  The original seeding remains in effect, for all the remaining teams.