Playoff Structure idea

Warcodered

Watched this video on how the second seed doesn't mean as much anymore.

So I thought of maybe an alternative that'd be interesting. So the 1st seed gets two bye weeks, the 2nd and 3rd get 1, and 4th-7th play each other in the first week. It even gets the NFL an extra week of playoffs. Almost forgot, hear me out.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

In a league looking to create parity and maximize player safety I think the week off is a huge competitive advantage for the team coming off the bye. The league should go to 8 teams from each conference making the playoffs, no byes.

2 extra games for NFL=more money for the league and more football for the fans.

5 minutes ago, BfloBillsFan said:

In a league looking to create parity and maximize player safety I think the week off is a huge competitive advantage for the team coming off the bye. The league should go to 8 teams from each conference making the playoffs, no byes.

No.  Don’t water it down even further.

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

which makes it 3 weeks 

Tough call.  50/50 Well rested or rusty.  

Good Chiefs, please rest everyone.  Get rusty, and when we win the first two games, we are in a rhythm and maybe you don’t make it last the divisional round.  They are awesome, but even the Dungy Colts who were amazing like the Chiefs learned that lesson.

6 minutes ago, BfloBillsFan said:

I mean that'd technically work but that'd also mean half the league makes the Playoffs.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just go back to how it was? Why are they fixing stuff that isn't broken? 

I don't disagree I just don't see them doing it they want that extra playoff game money.

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

which makes it 3 weeks 

Tough call.  50/50 Well rested or rusty.  

Right but if they're worried about 3 weeks they can play there starters the last week.

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean that'd technically work but that'd also mean half the league makes the Playoffs.

True but this doesn't stop the other sports leagues from doing it and there aren't many complaints about it. 

11 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

No.  Don’t water it down even further.

In AFC, I don't think it would be watered down, at least this year.  You have the top teams: Chiefs, Bills, Steelers and Titans playing Browns, Colts, Dolphins and Ravens. All 8 teams arguably are deserving this year.

Edited by BfloBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It was and still is broken, IMO.    More teams in playoff contention is more fun.    There really should be 8 playoff teams in each league and no bye.    There are rarely more than 2-3 really legit SB-winning-capable teams in any conference so at 6 it was neither satisfying the need for more inclusion nor only pitting real contenders in the playoffs.

Byes suck, IMO.   Having the right to play at home each game is plenty of motivation to finish as the #1 seed and having to play the 8th ranked team is a veritable bye for a true #1.    Would also not benefit the "paper tiger" easy schedule teams that finish at the top like, for instance, the 1999 Jags.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It was and still is broken, IMO.    More teams in playoff contention is more fun.    There really should be 8 playoff teams in each league and no bye.    There are rarely more than 2-3 really legit SB-winning-capable teams in any conference so at 6 it was neither satisfying the need for more inclusion nor only pitting real contenders in the playoffs.

Byes suck, IMO.   Having the right to play at home each game is plenty of motivation to finish as the #1 seed and having to play the 8th ranked team is a veritable bye for a true #1.    Would also not benefit the "paper tiger" easy schedule teams that finish at the top like, for instance, the 1999 Jags.

Meh. I disagree. I think 6 was perfect. Half the league making the playoffs waters down the importance of the regular season IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

We shouldn't forget how excited our fanbase was to be in playoff contention in 2017 even though on paper it was one of the least worthy NFL playoff teams since the merger itself and had absolutely zero chance of winning the SB.     There is value in a little more inclusion.   

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The system IS broken...  a 6-10 team may not only make the playoffs but host a playoff game.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Meh. I disagree. I think 6 was perfect. Half the league making the playoffs waters down the importance of the regular season IMO.

I mean it makes it all about home field advantage which in a non Covid year is actually important. The 1 seed gets to play every game but the SB at home 2 seed only has to play the 1 seed away and so on.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I get that concept.......but if Dalton and Boyd don't hook up for that fluke TD the Bills would have basically gone 2 full decades between playoff games.........that stretch was incredibly cruel to this fanbase.

And who knows what happens here without that spark.........it bought McBeane space to tear it down some more if nothing else.

It's probably one of the last reasonable and most harmless ways for the NFL to add some more parity to offset the fact that teams with great QB's can dominate for 15 years at a time.   

9 minutes ago, BfloBillsFan said:

The system IS broken...  a 6-10 team may not only make the playoffs but host a playoff game.

It will never happen again though.

Going to 17 games.:beer:

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I get that concept.......but if Dalton and Boyd don't hook up for that fluke TD the Bills would have basically gone 2 full decades between playoff games.........that stretch was incredibly cruel to this fanbase.

And who knows what happens here without that spark.........it bought McBeane space to tear it down some more if nothing else.

It's probably one of the last reasonable and most harmless ways for the NFL to add some more parity to offset the fact that teams with great QB's can dominate for 15 years at a time.   

I do get that we want the Playoffs to just be the elite teams of the NFL but this is already kind of failing with the NFC East. Also not for nothing but even a team that has a bad regular season but manages to beat 4 of the best teams in the NFL in a row has earned that Lombardi and if any of the other teams wants to complain about it then they just should of played better.

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It will never happen again though.

Going to 17 games.:beer:

On the bright side that does make it possible to go 21-0 and flip the Dolphins the bird.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I do get that we want the Playoffs to just be the elite teams of the NFL but this is already kind of failing with the NFC East. Also not for nothing but even a team that has a bad regular season but manages to beat 4 of the best teams in the NFL in a row has earned that Lombardi and if any of the other teams wants to complain about it then they just should of played better.

On the bright side that does make it possible to go 21-0 and flip the Dolphins the bird.

Won't be a popular sentiment around here...........but the 2020 "Washington Football Team" is better than the 2017 Bills.

The WFT have a net even point differential.........they've scored as much as they've given up.

The 2017 Bills were -57.........that's gruesome.

If they want to protect the value of the regular season..........eliminate divisions and go to 4 teams in each conference only.     That's PLENTY.   

If they want to include enough to give more fanbases hope and maybe stop so much of the costly and mostly unproductive coaching turnover etc.. then go to 8.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Watched this video on how the second seed doesn't mean as much anymore.

So I thought of maybe an alternative that'd be interesting. So the 1st seed gets two bye weeks, the 2nd and 3rd get 1, and 4th-7th play each other in the first week. It even gets the NFL an extra week of playoffs. Almost forgot, hear me out.

you re invented the wheel...

this is how some second tier conferences in the NCAA do their tournament like the one Gonzaga is in

seeds 2 and 2 apstartat semis, 3and 4 start at the round before then there are 1-3 rounds before depending on the conference size for 12 teams it’s 5-12 6-11 7-10 8-9 then winners play each other following the bracket.  If you have more than 12 teams there are play in games

the problem is extending the playoffs moves the season later or starting earlier.

they don’t want the super bowl to happen on Valentine’s Day like it could this year.  Under the added game the season will go back to starting on labor day weekend.

the idea of this 17 the game would be a neutral site game.