Bills at NE Breakdowns for you Film Junkies: Chopping Wood, Cover1, Kubiak

First up, "Chopping Wood" with Eric Wood.  A Bills homer natch but of course, he knows his football.  Breaks down the play design and coverage of several Diggs receptions including 3 TDs plus Lee Smith.  "I never thought I'd be talking about multiple receptions by a guy who weighs at least 30 lbs more than I do right now" 😂

Next up, Cover1 with Erik Turner and Chris Trapasso.  This link may take you to where the film breakdown starts, if not go 15:55 in

And last but by far not least, Jim Kubiak of TBN weekly breakdown of Josh Allen: "Unleashing the fun"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

First up, "Chopping Wood" with Eric Wood.  A Bills homer natch but of course, he knows his football.  Breaks down the play design and coverage of several Diggs receptions including 3 TDs plus Lee Smith.  "I never thought I'd be talking about multiple receptions by a guy who weighs at least 30 lbs more than I do right now" 😂

Next up, Cover1 with Erik Turner and Chris Trapasso.  This link may take you to where the film breakdown starts, if not go 15:55 in

And last but by far not least, Jim Kubiak of TBN weekly breakdown of Josh Allen: "Unleashing the fun"

I'm experimenting here whether it works to put these all in one place.  We'll see.

Cover1 a bit homer-ish this session, but who can blame them?  He leads off (15:50 in or so) with a great breakdown of the fake punt, showing how the Bills took what the Patriots showed them in their first game and used it against them.  Beautiful exposition of out-mastering the chessmaster.

Both Eric Wood and Cover1 break down the Lee Smith TD.  Cover1 notes how Dawson Knox is covered like a blanket and does a great job convincing defenders that he's the target.  Erik Turner doesn't note this: Knox even gets a tiny bit of separation and throws his arm forward like he's signalling "open".    Another little detail: Diggs motioning in like he's going to block a LB, helping to sell "run play!" then releasing outside (he's open at one point, BTW, I don't think the play was gonna go to him but he might have had enough space to make the catch and run it in. 

Fascinating to watch Daboll out-maneuvering the Pats

• Like (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Bills at NE Breakdowns for you Film Junkies: Chopping Wood, Cover1, Kubiak
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kubiak has a point:

Dale Carnegie once said, “People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.” This game was the epitome of that sentiment. From the pregame to the game to the postgame, the Bills were having fun.

I told a friend (he's a Pats fan, has been since the '70s, hey we all have flaws) that clip of Allen hitting Diggs in the hand during warmups then mimicing the receiver "trot in place" and one handing the ball when Diggs tosses it back told me right there what the game was going to be.

Kubiak on the final Allen to Diggs TD play:

Daboll borrowed a design from the Kansas City Chiefs, faking a roll to the right and peeling back to the left for a one-receiver route by Diggs. This throw highlighted Allen’s strength, mobility and overall agility as he reversed field and had to be deep enough to break containment. He ran to his left, flipped his hips and drove the ball down and away from the defender, safety McCourty. Only a few players have the talent and ability to make this happen moving left, Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers. Allen proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he belongs in this elite company with this brilliant touchdown.

I *think* what Kubiak means is that the play concept was as designed (get the defense moving right, have Diggs run to the L) but the details wound up being ad-libbed where Allen had to throw on the run, Diggs wasn't as open as planned, Allen threw it where only Diggs could get it and Diggs anticipated and put it away.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kubiak has a point:

Dale Carnegie once said, “People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.” This game was the epitome of that sentiment. From the pregame to the game to the postgame, the Bills were having fun.

I told a friend (he's a Pats fan, has been since the '70s, hey we all have flaws) that clip of Allen hitting Diggs in the hand during warmups then mimicing the receiver "trot in place" and one handing the ball when Diggs tosses it back told me right there what the game was going to be.

Kubiak on the final Allen to Diggs TD play:

Daboll borrowed a design from the Kansas City Chiefs, faking a roll to the right and peeling back to the left for a one-receiver route by Diggs. This throw highlighted Allen’s strength, mobility and overall agility as he reversed field and had to be deep enough to break containment. He ran to his left, flipped his hips and drove the ball down and away from the defender, safety McCourty. Only a few players have the talent and ability to make this happen moving left, Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers. Allen proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he belongs in this elite company with this brilliant touchdown.

I *think* what Kubiak means is that the play concept was as designed (get the defense moving right, have Diggs run to the L) but the details wound up being ad-libbed where Allen had to throw on the run, Diggs wasn't as open as planned, Allen threw it where only Diggs could get it and Diggs anticipated and put it away.

Exactly Allen said post game the play did not happen as designed

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Another little detail: Diggs motioning in like he's going to block a LB, helping to sell "run play!" then releasing outside (he's open at one point, BTW, I don't think the play was gonna go to him but he might have had enough space to make the catch and run it in.

Nice catch. I did not see that till you pointed it out though I have noticed something similar on other occasions this season. Even though Diggs is not the primary or secondary option, he ends up being open. The guy just keeps working. See for example the 3rd and 22 pass to Beasley vs. the Rams. It is not by chance that he leads the league in receptions and yards.