UFC Lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov retires undefeated at 29-0

Sherlock Holmes

Is Khabib Nurmagomedov the GOAT???   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is Khabib Nurmagomedov the GOAT???

https://sports.yahoo.com/khabib-nurmagomedov-broken-foot-mumps-ufc-254-justin-gaethje-win-retirement-221206748.html

UFC Lightweight Champion, Khabib Nurmagomedov entered his 29th fight against Justin Gaethje holding a perfect 28-0 record.

No other MMA fighter I can think of retired with a perfect record, only Jon Jones comes close with his only loss a disqualification against Matt Hamill that was about to be a knock-out regardless. 

Khabib definitely faced his toughest challenger and most likely future champ Justin Gaethje now that he decided to retire. Gaethje fought valiantly but got caught in a beautiful triangle submission in the 2nd round to usher Khabib into retirement with a perfect, undefeated record.

When you look at Khabib's opponents, he has some great victories but something just seems left to be desired in his quality of opponents...

I love Khabib but I gotta go Jon Jones over him as GOAT. Now if Khabib would have moved up and been double champ the discussion goes completely away. I would love to have seen his final fight come against Georges St. Pierre, would have been an amazing wrestling match, but I think Khabib would've cemented himself as GOAT by leaving GSP unconscious.

Wanted to get everybody's take on Khabib and his GOAT status!

26 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree that Jones would be GOAT. The fact that he could beat anyone in any weight class has to be part of that consideration.

He beat down Cormier which was his toughest challenger IMO... would've went the same way if the fight happened at Heavyweight and not LHW.

If Cormier wasn't taking Jones down and ground and pounding him, then nobody can...

3 hours ago, Mark80 said:

I don't see any DQs or failed drug tests on Khabibs resume.  He may not be as flashy, but he took on everyone they had including McGregor in his prime and won pretty easily most times.  I'm taking Khabib.

All the wins are valid, so that's not a convincing argument.

5 hours ago, Mark80 said:

I don't see any DQs or failed drug tests on Khabibs resume.  He may not be as flashy, but he took on everyone they had including McGregor in his prime and won pretty easily most times.  I'm taking Khabib.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

All the wins are valid, so that's not a convincing argument.

Even McGregor moved to Welterweight and looked good, would've loved to see the same with Khabib.... probably would've cleared the division and could've had the biggest fight ever, Khabib vs GSP double retirement fight. I think he sleeps GSP via KO 100 out of 100 times.

Would've loved to see Michael Chiesa vs Khabib as well, I think that Chiesa has what it takes to pull an upset via submission.

Regardless losing him to retirement is upsetting, it's like Kuechly retiring way too early:cry:

6 hours ago, The Jerk said:

I loved watching him smash Conor. 

I still like Conor, had Khabib easily winning over him though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.