Why not lock Nate up NOW?

He fits the profile of the kind of free agent-to-be that we should make a push to sign. He's coming off his first Pro Bowl and entering the prime of his career. His current cap number is in the $3.5 M range. It's not as if the price for him is going to go down, especially in light of the Surtain deal. If we were to sign him to, say, a 6 year $49 M deal with a $15 M signing bonus (which is probably in the range of what he would command -- if not more -- on the open market) and heavily back-loaded the contract, then we would actually SAVE cap space this year.

Well, it's TD's style to low-ball, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he's tried to do here. Of course, on occasion (as he did last year with Aaron Schobel) he's been willing to cough up the dough.

You are right that I don't know that TD hasn't at least tried to present a fair offer to Nate and his agent. But I think if TD had really presented an equitable offer and Nate and his agent were being greedy, then we would have heard about it by now. After all, making the players sound like greedy jerks in negotiations is another TD tactic.

Not diss'ing TD, just saying that I hope we don't make the mistake of letting NC walk because we never presented a fair offer. If he moves on because TD isn't willing to overpay, then so be it.

Well, it's TD's style to low-ball, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he's tried to do here. Of course, on occasion (as he did last year with Aaron Schobel) he's been willing to cough up the dough.

I wouldn't call TD a "low-baller"--he's not going to break the bank on guys who aren't worth it. If anything, that Schobel signing shows you that TD is willing to pay top dollar to keep good young players.

I have complete faith that TD will make a competitive offer to Clements. I think after the draft, we might see some more action on trying to re-sign him, especially if we come out of the draft without a high-pick CB.

You are right that I don't know that TD hasn't at least tried to present a fair offer to Nate and his agent. But I think if TD had really presented an equitable offer and Nate and his agent were being greedy, then we would have heard about it by now. After all, making the players sound like greedy jerks in negotiations is another TD tactic.

Not diss'ing TD, just saying that I hope we don't make the mistake of letting NC walk because we never presented a fair offer. If he moves on because TD isn't willing to overpay, then so be it.

313129[/snapback]

Why would we hear about it? It serves no purpose to either side to say anything publically.

The BILLS could say they've negotiated and NC's agent is being unrealistic. That would hurt further negotiations as well as knock down NC's trade value because teams know they could have him on the open market next season for no compensation (not to mention scaring off possible suitors based on price).

From NC's side, there's little doubt it's smart to see how the open market looks this offseason because someone is bound to overpay him in his one big shot at the golden egg.

Nate knows he may be the highest paid corner in the league next year.

Are you willing to pay him that ? Someone will. It may be smarter to trade him now if your not.

Total broadcast revenue will increase by at least 50 percent when the new deals go into effect in 2006 - from $2.45 billion a year to at least $3.75 billion. The players get 65 percent of revenues, so you can expect a big bump in salaries in '06. It'll be a great time to be a free agent. Nate Clements, are you listening?