Affirm or deny: Universal suffrage is detrimental to the survival of a republic.

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

Affirm.

This is an obvious truth, though the democratic process itself is just another form of despotism.

The man who votes for whom his master will be is still just a slave at the end of the day.

I come to the same conclusion from a different direction: people who don't contribute to a society will naturally vote for those who will enable them to continue to be useless.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I come to the same conclusion from a different direction: people who don't contribute to a society will naturally vote for those who will enable them to continue to be useless.

Whom do you mean? 

And deny, universal sufferage is part of our success and always will be. 

Go ask Hong Kong.

No surprise this topic appreared 

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Freeloaders. Libertines. Degenerates. Bums. The list is long.

Who dat? 

Just now, Tiberius said:

And deny, universal sufferage is part of our success and always will be. 

Go ask Hong Kong.

No surprise this topic appreared 

Who dat? 

Tell you what. Take a trip to Atlantic City sometime. You'll see boatloads of them.

50 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Affirm.

This is an obvious truth, though the democratic process itself is just another form of despotism.

The man who votes for whom his master will be is still just a slave at the end of the day.

The elected officials in a Republic are ostensibly there to serve the citizens who elected them.

That's the seutp of a Republic.  If the officials get too despotic, then  the masses answer back by electing someone else.

In a pure sense -- I deny.

49 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Who gets to say where the "freeloader cutoff line" is?  That's despotic in its own way.

For this reason, I deny.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, snafu said:

The elected officials in a Republic are ostensibly there to serve the citizens who elected them.

That's the seutp of a Republic.  If the officials get too despotic, then  the masses answer back by electing someone else.

In a pure sense -- I deny.

Who gets to say where the "freeloader cutoff line" is?  That's despotic in its own way.

For this reason, I deny.

Do you affirm or deny that the country was more stable politically, economically and socially when the vote was restricted to landowning men than it is now?

I understand both sides of the argument.   If you cut off the free-loaders from voting you risk the contributing class losing any motivation to help the free-loaders improve their lot.  The check and balance against that is armed revolution which is usually pretty messy.

But if you keep putting more and more people into the free-loader class, the math says it will eventually crash the entire system (at least for the bottom 90%).  This is the path the ruling class Democrats have put us on as a way to grow their own power and wealth.  And now they've added the social unrest element as a way to up the ante.  I don't see how that path can possibly end well. 

2 minutes ago, snafu said:

For this reason, I deny.

That becomes easy if we have a sensible tax structure.  That being one in which we tax consumption rather than productivity.

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Can anyone explain what a "freeloader" is, with specifics and what they get for free?

Thanks, asking for a friend 

Anyone who consumes more tax dollars than they send off to the government. Anyone who outsources the care of his or her children to child welfare rather than taking responsibility for them. Anyone who hasn't contributed to the improvement of the nation in any way. You know, like Joe  Biden.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Anyone who consumes more tax dollars than they send off to the government. Anyone who outsources the care of his or her children to child welfare rather than taking responsibility for them. Anyone who hasn't contributed to the improvement of the nation in any way. You know, like Joe  Biden.

Joe Biden? Oh, so Democrats shouldn't be able to vote! 

So this is either a revolution or a sore loser thing? Right

Just now, keepthefaith said:

Wagon riders vs wagon pullers.

Not the elderly! 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Not the elderly! 

Most elderly get SS and are on Medicare and paid into those systems during their working lives (along with their employers).  In our system, they've earned those benefits.  You can argue about how effectively they are funded. 

23 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I don't see how that path can possibly end well. 

It doesn't, as you've seen since Trump's election.

More to the point, I appreciate Joe's thoughts in this thread, but it doesn't matter. Even if Trump somehow manages to get re-elected, the social unrest will only get worse. More will fight. More will die. And no one will win. The left has their paid actors in full throttle, and we both know you can't put that genie back in the bottle once it has blood on its hands.

Buy property in the reddest flyover state you can find, raise your own food, invest in some firearms and training, and do your best to enjoy what's left before they come to take it.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Can anyone explain what a "freeloader" is, with specifics and what they get for free?

Thanks, asking for a friend 

Someone who does little or no work even though they are capable of doing so or works for cash and doesn't report their income and receives benefits such as SNAP, Medicaid, housing/energy assistance and other cash benefits from government.

https://www.usa.gov/benefits

Edited by keepthefaith

Just now, keepthefaith said:

Someone who does little or no work even though they are capable of doing so or works for cash and doesn't report their income and receive benefits such as SNAP, Medicaid, housing/energy assistance and other cash benefits from government.

https://www.usa.gov/benefits

You can't always blame the people, especially when the government creates an incentive program to earn more government money by having more babies out of wedlock.

• Like (+1) 1