[OT] Gardening - Synthetic Mulch

eSJayDee

I've recently seen synthetic mulch available at Lowe's &/or Home of Pot. (I haven't actually seen the stuff, just the ads for it.)

I don't know if it's a new product or not & was wondering if anyone was familiar &/or had any experiences w/ it. It's supposed to be color fast & I don't like that after a few months my previously nice red mulch becomes a dingey yuck color.

For that matter, whattaya think about those weed-screens? Are the worth the effort. It certainly would be nice if I spent less time weeding flower beds.

TIA

Well, mulch is meant to provide organic matter for plants and to protect against soil erosion. If hue is important, why not use dried blood and bone meal and fine compost for the organics and then use crushed rock in the color you prefer that won't add acid or aklali to the soil? I think you might lose the cold weather insulation with the rock, though.

The screening, also called agricultural textile, is generally effective if the mesh is fine enough. Sheet plastic under rocks works best, but there are concerns about getting water and nutrients into the soil since it is impervious. It also traps moisture that permeates in from uncovered areas, potentially giving rise to deleterious bacteria and fungi.

saw it the other day, it is a rubber product witht the color and the texture of real mulch, it is expensive...something like 17.00/bag IIRC, it is made by dupont.

I've recently seen synthetic mulch available at Lowe's &/or Home of Pot. (I haven't actually seen the stuff, just the ads for it.)

I don't know if it's a new product or not & was wondering if anyone was familiar &/or had any experiences w/ it.  It's supposed to be color fast & I don't like that after a few months my previously nice red mulch becomes a dingey yuck color.

For that matter, whattaya think about those weed-screens?  Are the worth the effort.  It certainly would be nice if I spent less time weeding flower beds.

TIA

308940[/snapback]

Well, mulch is meant to provide organic matter for plants and to protect against soil erosion. If hue is important, why not use dried blood and bone meal and fine compost for the organics and then use crushed rock in the color you prefer that won't add acid or aklali to the soil?  I think you might lose the cold weather insulation with the rock, though.

The screening, also called agricultural textile, is generally effective if the mesh is fine enough.  Sheet plastic under rocks works best, but there are concerns about getting water and nutrients into the soil since it is impervious. It also traps moisture that permeates in from uncovered areas, potentially giving rise to deleterious bacteria and fungi.

308965[/snapback]

I always feel smarter after reading your posts. :blink:

I always feel smarter after reading your posts.  :w00t:

308985[/snapback]

You've never seen me in person...picture a polka dot suit, bulbous red nose, deathly white complexion, size 16 shoes, neck and sleeve ruffles, red 2-inch cheek dots, and a hat too small for an organ grinder's monkey! :blink:

I don't know if it's a new product or not & was wondering if anyone was familiar &/or had any experiences w/ it.  It's supposed to be color fast & I don't like that after a few months my previously nice red mulch becomes a dingey yuck color.

For that matter, whattaya think about those weed-screens?  Are the worth the effort.  It certainly would be nice if I spent less time weeding flower beds.

TIA

308940[/snapback]

Just put down died mulch last week (Choclate Chip). Place claims it will keep its dark brown color thoughout the summer. Bought it from a bulk place in Richmond. Cant say if it will work or not, but paid an extra 6 dollar per cubic yard for it