Could This Guy be a TE on Beane's Radar ?

T master

11 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I just don’t understand the floating of these 30+ guys, when you could have a 4 years vet, 25 yard. Austin Hooper and ATL only has $5 mil in cap space.  He’s unrestricted and don’t have to give up picks, or big $, or worry about the guy getting hurt or wearing down as much as the guy mentioned above.  It’s a business, and whatever he’s done in the past won’t help now.

The 30+ guys won't be there long and when they leave Knox  will just be hitting his prime and would have been getting reps all along.  Their contracts wouldn't be exorbitant or for long.  That's good seeing as Edmonds and Allen and White will be due for extensions.  A vet at the TE position is probably best.  I'd rather significant money go to other positions.

11 hours ago, DJB said:

True.

But the player has to want to come to Buffalo. 

DJB - Hooper has been now at least two years removed from the playoffs, and a team a little in disarray, as opposed to a well coached and run organization who has made the playoffs two of the last three years that before we cut Kroft, Smith and Murphy has the third most cap space in the NFL.  Add that $15 mil and we have the most so we can afford a nice payday for him, he could be our starter for the next 8-10 years, and can afford one more key player, still extend needed players (which players love seeing teams that extend their own and manage the cap well as opposed to the Falcons who have not), as well as find more economical role players, and pick up four starters in the draft.  What’s not to love.  Buffalo is now a destination place.  This is not the same old Bills, and players, coaches, GM’s, and tv and radio analysts are all talking about the Bills.  We probably as much as I personally don’t like them get a minimum of two to three prime time games,a dm if you add 4:30 pm games which are more often than not nationally televised, will be another couple given we play the NFCW, and AFCW.

This all adds up to a great place to play.  If you add, he would be a top target as he would leap frog ahead of Knox, and with only Brown and Beasley as top targets, he would go to the top three.  Even if we add two stud rookies as WR’s, they would be rookies.  These are all compelling reasons to come to Buffalo.  The weather doesn’t keep players from wanting to play in Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England and even MN, so that argument doesn’t hold as much weight with a recurring winning team, and a nationally known well run team on the ascension.  It’s widely reported we could topple the Pats this year.

DJB, not piling on, just trying to give another point of view.  I hope these arguments at least has you consider the possibility.  I appreciate the dissenting view though.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

DJB - Hooper has been now at least two years removed from the playoffs, and a team a little in disarray, as opposed to a well coached and run organization who has made the playoffs two of the last three years that before we cut Kroft, Smith and Murphy has the third most cap space in the NFL.  Add that $15 mil and we have the most so we can afford a nice payday for him, he could be our starter for the next 8-10 years, and can afford one more key player, still extend needed players (which players love seeing teams that extend their own and manage the cap well as opposed to the Falcons who have not), as well as find more economical role players, and pick up four starters in the draft.  What’s not to love.  Buffalo is now a destination place.  This is not the same old Bills, and players, coaches, GM’s, and tv and radio analysts are all talking about the Bills.  We probably as much as I personally don’t like them get a minimum of two to three prime time games,a dm if you add 4:30 pm games which are more often than not nationally televised, will be another couple given we play the NFCW, and AFCW.

This all adds up to a great place to play.  If you add, he would be a top target as he would leap frog ahead of Knox, and with only Brown and Beasley as top targets, he would go to the top three.  Even if we add two stud rookies as WR’s, they would be rookies.  These are all compelling reasons to come to Buffalo.  The weather doesn’t keep players from wanting to play in Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England and even MN, so that argument doesn’t hold as much weight with a recurring winning team, and a nationally known well run team on the ascension.  It’s widely reported we could topple the Pats this year.

DJB, not piling on, just trying to give another point of view.  I hope these arguments at least has you consider the possibility.  I appreciate the dissenting view though.

You make many valid arguments that I agree with. 

That being said there are a number of reasons maybe why a player won't come here. 

A) Maybe hes offered more $$$$ to go elsewhere 

B) Maybe his role is better suited elsewhere 

C) Maybe he prefers a warmer climate ot being closer to "home"

Unfortunately we cannot get into the minds of the players to find out the "why". 

Cheers 

:)

• Like (+1) 1