Wonder what Gruden's up to?

AKC

When I heard Gruden say in an interview about Ronnie Brown:

"He might have the best hands that I saw in the Combine. The ball is easily caught. He's like a center fielder. He's 233 pounds running well below 4.5 and he is a great kid. Brown can line up in any formation. He's not a fumbler. Ronnie Brown's hands are rare . . . exceptional hands."

it was clear that he was up to something- he sees himself as way too much of a poker player to give that kind of report on a kid he might want with the 5th pick in the draft. Now feelers are out on Travis, a back who seems a very poor fit in a scheme that likes to throw flare passes to everyone in their backfield with regularity. It looks to me like Gruden is setting up a smoke screen for a move he's nearly wetting himself over making- I just can't put my finger on what it might be. It's likely to have something to do with the Frisco/Miami/Cleveland/Chicago picks in front of his or a desire to set up a good move down the board.

I think that Tampa does one of two things. Either they take one of the three RBs with their 5th pick or take WR Mike Williams and then make a trade with us for Henry. I don't believe for a NY second that they are trying to move up for a QB or for WR Braylon Edwards.

He wants Mike Williams extremely bad and he is just making sure that Brown among others is selected before them so that Williams is there. They then can make the trade for Travis for their 2nd and all of a sudden, they have a good offense with Clayton,Williams,Galloway and Henry.

Late

Rumor has it the Bears want to move down. If they can't, there's a good chance they take Mike Williams (or Edwards if he's still available). If Gruden can convince a team that he's drafting a RB he might scare someone into dealing with the Bears to get a leg up on Tampa, thus removing the Bears from the WR sweepstakes.

Rumor has it the Bears want to move down. If they can't, there's a good chance they take Mike Williams (or Edwards if he's still available). If Gruden can convince a team that he's drafting a RB he might scare someone into dealing with the Bears to get a leg up on Tampa, thus removing the Bears from the WR sweepstakes.

306096[/snapback]

Since I can't see a real fit for Travis in Tampa this is a scenario that at least seems possible.

On that ESPN Draft Preview on today, they all agreed that Tampa Bay would be wise to trade for Travis Henry, because then it would enable them to draft a QB or WR with that #5 instead of being forced to use that pick on a drafted RB.

306391[/snapback]

Yep - I think they are posturing for a QB also. The Bucs have two #3's to work with, too - #71 and # 91.

Somewhat off-topic, Mel Kilper just said on the same ESPN Draft Preview that he expects Buffalo to be one of the teams willing to take a chance on WR Chase Lyman out of California.  I'm not real up to speed with him, I'll have to find out what his deal is.

306432[/snapback]

Seems to have injury problems. Bummer.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/lyman_chase

I think that Tampa does one of two things. Either they take one of the three RBs with their 5th pick or take WR Mike Williams and then make a trade with us for Henry. I don't believe for a NY second that they are trying to move up for a QB or for WR Braylon Edwards.

306068[/snapback]

There has been no local talk of trading up for Edwards, the talk is they may trade up with Miami for a Q.B. They now have a journeyman in Brian Griese, and Chris Simms is in his contract year. It would not suprise me at all if they take a Q.B. at #2

There has been no local talk of trading up for Edwards, the talk is they may trade up with Miami for a Q.B. They now have a journeyman in Brian Griese, and Chris Simms is in his contract year. It would not suprise me at all if they take a Q.B. at #2

306522[/snapback]

Thanks for the info from Buc-land. I wish more non-WNY posters would volunteer more info about their local NFL teams - the insight is useful - and local thoughts help in trying to figure out where things stand vis-a-vie Bills moves and game planning.

I hear only this or that bit, but it seems like Simms is not going to be the answer for them. Dunno. I think there is a good chance of a qb pick with where they are now at #5 overall. I happen to be a big Charlie Frye-Akron fan.

Thanks for the info from Buc-land. I wish more non-WNY posters would volunteer more info about their local NFL teams - the insight is useful - and local thoughts help in trying to figure out where things stand vis-a-vie Bills moves and game planning.

I hear only this or that bit, but it seems like Simms is not going to be the answer for them. Dunno.  I think there is a good chance of a qb pick with where they are now at #5 overall. I happen to be a big Charlie Frye-Akron fan.

306536[/snapback]

I'm happy to let you all know what is going on down here. If the Bucs don't trade with Miami, I think they go for Williams if he is there.