(OT) Tim Horton Story in Buffalo News...

Spun

http://buffalonews.com/sports/teamsleagues/sabres.asp

It doesn't change my image of Horton that alcohol and painkillers contributed to his death. I remember him as playing younger that he was. He was a solid defenseman. One night Horton got in a fight with Dave Schultz and Horton pounded him. I couldn't believe it! He was also a great mentor for Jim Schoenfeld.

A while back, I was at a Tim Horton's in Montreal (where all the beignets have French names) and wondered why they had no mention anywhere of who Tim Horton was. I wrote the company suggesting that in each of the stores that have a plague or something explaining who Tim Horton was. The company (which is now owned by Wendy's) responded by saying they would get back to me but they never did. I would think that it would be useful for marketing purposes to feature Tim Horton's likeness. Maybe the family didn't want Tim's likeness to be exploited in a tacky manner. I believe Mrs Horton passed away not too long ago.

As for Larry Carriere (mentioned in the article), I remember him getting in a fight one night and knocking his opponent out cold. I believe it was against the Canadiens.

A while back, I was at a Tim Horton's in Montreal (where all the beignets have French names) and wondered why they had no mention anywhere of who Tim Horton was.  I wrote the company suggesting that in each of the stores that have a plague or something explaining who Tim Horton was. The company (which is now owned by Wendy's) responded by saying they would get back to me but they never did.  I would think that it would be useful for marketing purposes to feature Tim Horton's likeness.  Maybe the family didn't want Tim's likeness to be exploited in a tacky manner.  I believe Mrs Horton passed away not too long ago.

305413[/snapback]

A p*ssing contest between the Horton family and his former partner:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Den/6460/1999apr14.htm?200514

It doesn't change my image of Horton that alcohol and painkillers contributed to his death.  I remember him as playing younger that he was.  He was a solid defenseman.  One night Horton got in a fight with Dave Schultz and Horton pounded him.  I couldn't believe it!  He was also a great mentor for Jim Schoenfeld.

A while back, I was at a Tim Horton's in Montreal (where all the beignets have French names) and wondered why they had no mention anywhere of who Tim Horton was.  I wrote the company suggesting that in each of the stores that have a plague or something explaining who Tim Horton was. The company (which is now owned by Wendy's) responded by saying they would get back to me but they never did.  I would think that it would be useful for marketing purposes to feature Tim Horton's likeness.  Maybe the family didn't want Tim's likeness to be exploited in a tacky manner.  I believe Mrs Horton passed away not too long ago.

As for Larry Carriere (mentioned in the article), I remember him getting in a fight one night and knocking his opponent out cold.  I believe it was against the Canadiens.

305413[/snapback]

44 and playing VERY well in the NHL.....what a stud.Amazing.

The reason there were no real posts to the story is because it was old news.

A CBC network story about Horton and his family painted a pretty sad picture.

Horton was an alcoholic, he abused his wife and children emotionally for most

of his playing days. He had made many terrible business deals in the years before

he finally hit gold in the Doughnut business. It seemed that he continued to play

because he had put himself in such debt.

As far as the night of his passing.

When Horton left his meeting with his partner Ron Joyce, he was obviously angry.

He had been drinking, and had been using pain killers for a broken jaw he had suffered during the game versus the Leafs that night. With Horton, anger and alcohol were a bad mix.

Mr Joyce called the OPP(Ontario Police) to try to stop Horton as he made his way home on the Qween Elizabeth Way.

According to police, he ran several roadblocks before losing control of his Ford Pantera. He was thrown from the vechile, and was found DOA.

Tim Horton was a hero to many. But that night he put lives in jeopardy...and lost his own.

I believe the article in the Sunday news was just a rehash of what many people already knew.

Just another way to sell newspapers on a slow sports day.

The reason there were no real posts to the story is because it was old news.

A CBC network story about Horton and his family painted a pretty sad picture.

Horton was an alcoholic, he abused his wife and children emotionally for most

of his playing days. He had made many terrible business deals in the years before

he finally hit gold in the Doughnut business. It seemed that he continued to play

because he had put himself in such debt.

As far as the night of his passing.

When Horton left his meeting with his partner Ron Joyce, he was obviously angry.

He had been drinking, and had been using pain killers for a broken jaw he had suffered during the game versus the Leafs that night. With Horton, anger and alcohol were a bad mix.

Mr Joyce called the OPP(Ontario Police) to try to stop Horton as he made his way home on the Qween Elizabeth Way.

According to police, he ran several roadblocks before losing control of his Ford Pantera. He was thrown from the vechile, and was found DOA.

Tim Horton was a hero to many. But that night he put lives in jeopardy...and lost his own.

I believe the article in the Sunday news was just a rehash of what many people already knew.

Just another way to sell newspapers on a slow sports day.

305532[/snapback]

wow.sad.

I remember watching Tim Horton play for the Sabres back then. What a terrific mentor he was for the young Sabres. He was never much of an offensive player, but even at age 44 he was probably the strongest guy in the league.

The reason for the recent rehash was that it had been 30 years since his death and it is some kind of Canadian law that autopsy reports can only be released to the public after 30 years has passed.

So next time you have a crueller, salute the big guy.

IIRC, he wore #40 with the Sabres. No?

I couldn't have been more wrong if I tried.... :doh:  :blink:

305438[/snapback]

Just be patient... maybe Uwe Krupp will start a chain of Strudel shoppes and then bite it on the Autobahn...

As for Larry Carriere (mentioned in the article), I remember him getting in a fight one night and knocking his opponent out cold.  I believe it was against the Canadiens.

305413[/snapback]

You may be right, but I remember Carriere KOing Saleski of the Flyers. One left jab to the jaw and down goes Saleski.

Carriere then took up some boxing lessons, but to little avail. Terry O'Reilly kicked Carriere's ass in the Garden the year the Sabres went to the finals.....74-75.

You may be right, but I remember Carriere KOing Saleski of the Flyers.  One left jab to the jaw and down goes Saleski.

Carriere then took up some boxing lessons, but to little avail.  Terry O'Reilly kicked Carriere's ass in the Garden the year the Sabres went to the finals.....74-75.

305704[/snapback]

You are right now that I think of it. Saleski was the victim. Good memory! Wasn't O'Reilly in the middle of things that one night Schoenfeld had about three fights against the Bruins (Cashman, Orr) including one that went through the Zamboni entrance down at the Aud?

305532[/snapback]

I thought it was a Porche 911?

I remember pics in the "News" ..or was it the "Courier" :D ?

You are right now that I think of it.  Saleski was the victim.  Good memory!  Wasn't O'Reilly in the middle of things that one night Schoenfeld had about three fights against the Bruins (Cashman, Orr) including one that went through the Zamboni entrance down at the Aud?

306567[/snapback]

The Schoenfeld - Cashman thing was actually trumped that same night when Buffalo's Butch Deadmarsh, standing in the Buffalo bench is going toe to toe with Terry O'Reilly, who is on the ice. That was the wildest fight of the night. The Boston announcer kept screwing it up and was referring to Deadmarsh as "Lorentz", but Lorentz was on the ice.

Schoenfeld had a bit of a wrestling match with Orr, and fought Vadnais and popped him real nice with an uppercut.