Is Josh really getting the coaching he needs?

Stallions

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Why do Bills fans want to look at anyone and everywhere OTHER THAN JOSH ALLEN HIMSELF to explain Josh Allen's performance? 

I don't get it.

It's like your car won't start, so you accuse the maid of not washing the kitchen floor well enough.

WTF?

I think the better analogy would be you get a car frame and build your own hot rod from the frame up. You bore out cylinders to the size you want and have the engine professionally tuned. You aren't quite getting the performance you want so you start questioning if the engine was tuned correctly. 

Seriously though, everyone knows it's on Allen, they are just questioning if he's receiving the correct guidance in his progression as a player and if he can be improving even more than what he has... Considering the massive strides this season I'd say he's got the right support, if he plateaus i might be concerned but really at the QB position he's going to be improving every year and may not reach his prime for another 3 more years.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think McDermott and Beane's diagnosis of this is "feeling as though he has to do it all".    (I think that because both said words to that effect several times)  Allen is looking to make a play no matter what, and that is overriding everything else. 

I'm sure Allen's being given proper advice on how to handle the situations, but I'm not sure he's being given proper mental drills for it.  In critical game situations where he can't lose yardage, Allen needs to run an "emergency drill" through his head before every snap.  3 seconds of "If they're coming for me: hot read (on this play); throw away" to himself, - then continue with everything else related to the play.    This is analogous to the effective "implementation intention" statements studied by psychologist Peter Gollwitzer or the engine failure on takeoff checks a well-trained pilot clicks through mentally for 3-4 seconds before going through the normal pre-takeoff checks, ATC instructions or uncontrolled airport pattern etc.  It primes your mind in some not-quite-understood way so that when stuff happens, you don't think consciously, you just react properly.   He can probably do this on every snap in training camp and preseason.

Great analysis.