What Dolphin Fans Think of Buff-Miami Rivalry

ChasBB

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Touche, but I know I can say the same for those outlaying areas around Buffalo.

304841[/snapback]

How can you equate East Aurora, Amherst et. al. with the tomatoe growing, nascar racing environs of Homestead ?

How can you equate East Aurora, Amherst et. al. with the tomatoe growing, nascar racing environs of Homestead ?

304860[/snapback]

I find it hard to believe that there are no farms in the buffalo area.

And BTW, what is it about tomatoes that makes you equate them with Rednecks? Next time you order a BLT I hope someone says to you "Sorry, tomatoes are a redneck fruit."

I find it hard to believe that there are no farms in the buffalo area.

And BTW, what is it about tomatoes that makes you equate them with Rednecks? Next time you order a BLT I hope someone says to you "Sorry, tomatoes are a redneck fruit."

304869[/snapback]

OK a lesson, and pay attention because I'm only going to say this once. The term redneck has it's origins in the fact that since farmers were stooped and looking at the ground all day the backs of their necks got red. Tomatos (which are grown in Homestead) are apparantly grown by farmers Q.E.D. tomatoes area associated with rednecks 1) because they are grown extensively in Homestead, and 2) the people growing and harvesting them have "red-necks". I hope the next time you order a BLT someone says to you: "Sorry, you are a fruit"

Rivalries peak and fade. Sometimes the value is because one team predominates over another for a long time such as Bills-Dolphins in the '70s, Bills-Pats currently, and Chargers-Raiders historically. Usually the team on the losing end harbors more hatred. Sometimes the value is because the rivalry is competitive and/or has historical significance 49ers-Cowboys, Raiders-Chiefs. The Raiders-Steelers and Raiders-Dolphins always seems to have significance in part because of the past success of each team. Some teams seem to have a rivalry with everybody because of their popularity ex: Cowboys, 49ers and Raiders. The ingredients help stir the pot. Most Bills fans still hate Brian Cox and his middle finger but he was great for the Bills-Dolphins rivalry. Louis Oliver's long interception return also left some prolonged animosity. The Bills-Dolphins rivalry hasn't been the same since Kelly and Marino left the game. In those days, both quarterbacks could produce great drama and neither team could be counted out.. The rivalry will rise again once both the Bills and Dolphins are competive. I hope that isn't any time soon as the Bills have quite a bit of catching up to do.

This is because there are very few true Dolphin fans...fans that truely appreciate the history of the rivalry.  Most of them are fair weather front runners who leave the stadium 3/4 empty when "their" team is behind in a game.

304596[/snapback]

Very very good point. Fair weather fans don't care about rivalries. Fair weather fans don't even care about their team. Very few Dolphin fans are loyal, devoted, and crazy like Bills fans, Steeler fans, Browns fans, Packer fans.

Many of the so called "Dolphin fans" probably have no clue who Bernie Parmalee is. No clue who Mark Duper is. No clue who Richmond Webb is. We do, because when we care about our team, we know our enemies... even better than they do.

Why?  Because Mr. Wilson made such a big deal about "preserving the rivalry" and, the truth is, nobody really cares!  Yes, a lot has to do with the Patriots whooping up on everybody the last few years.

I wanted to see Buffalo in a division with Pittsburgh, Cleveland, & Cincinati when the NFL was re-aligned.  It made the most sense.  New rivalries would have been formed instantly.  Instead, we're preserving a rivalry that isn't even a rivalry any longer -- at least not the rivalry it once was.

304595[/snapback]

I've said it before and I'll say it again .....Great rivalries could have been built with divisions that looked more like NCAA regional setups.

The realligned divisions should have looked something like this:

Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland (rust belt division)

Jets, Giants, Philadelphia, New England (large atlantic coast cities where everyone drops the "r" at the end of words)

Cincinatti, St Louis, Kansas City, Tennessee (bar-b-que/chili division)

Minnesota, Green Bay, Chicago, Indianapolis (simple: midwest division)

Washington, Baltimore, Carolina, Atlanta (southern plantation division)

Houston, Dallas, Arizona, Denver (gaucho division)

Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville, New Orleans (tropical division)

San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Oakland (left coast division)

They could have grouped the demographic population to establish incredible rivalries. Instead, we'll always have Dallas and the NY Giants in the same division.

Too me, that's like having OSU and USC in the same NCAA division. How stupid would that be?

Buffalo in a division with Pittsburgh and Cleveland would have been soooooo much better than the rivalry with the Jets, Patriots, or Dolphins.

So what would we call the Jets, Giants, Philadelphia, New England division?

The aah division?

I've said it before and I'll say it again .....Great rivalries could have been built with divisions that looked more like NCAA regional setups.

Jets, Giants, Philadelphia, New England (large atlantic coast cities where everyone drops the "r" at the end of words)

They could have grouped the demographic population to establish incredible rivalries. Instead, we'll always have Dallas and the NY Giants in the same division.

Too me, that's like having OSU and USC in the same NCAA division. How stupid would that be?

Buffalo in a division with Pittsburgh and Cleveland would have been soooooo much better than the rivalry with the Jets, Patriots, or Dolphins.

305308[/snapback]

OK a lesson, and pay attention because I'm only going to say this once.  The term redneck has it's origins in the fact that since farmers were stooped and looking at the ground all day the backs of their necks got red.  Tomatos (which are grown in Homestead) are apparantly grown by farmers Q.E.D. tomatoes area associated with rednecks 1) because they are grown extensively in Homestead, and 2) the people growing and harvesting them have "red-necks".  I hope the next time you order a BLT someone says to you: "Sorry, you are a fruit"

304906[/snapback]

So we must call all farmers rednecks? Because growing food is a less noble profession than pushing papers all day?

Let's face it, the Dolphin rivalry has faded with each team's less than stellar performance since the late 90's. In the 70's it was fueled by Dolphin dominanance over a pathetic Buffalo team. In the late 80's to mid 90's by Buffalo dominance over a very good Dolphin team. That's what made it special for me, beating the hell out of them repeatedly when they were good. Especially the playoff games. Since then its been back and forth mediocrity. I felt more pain over the past couple of years getting wiped out by New England than I did by a Dolphin loss.

A division with Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo would have been perfect.

RTB

305308[/snapback]

The downside of this is that people will become less-inclined to care about rivalries outside their own. We in Buffalo manage to muster a moderate bit of interest in a MNF Dallas-Washington game without truely caring about the teams. In many cases it's because the rivalry offers a symbolic choice about region (like Buffalo-Miami) or culture (Raiders-Chargers). You take that away and there is no reason the watch. I don't care how great the Cleveland-Pittsburgh or Green Bay-Minnesota rivalries are, I can't get excited about one team over another and wouldn't waste a Primetime evening on them. And ultimately the strength of the NFL lies as much with the willingness of people to watch the entire league - think MNF, Thanksgiving games, etc - as the intense support of fans for their own teams.

The downside of this is that people will become less-inclined to care about rivalries outside their own. We in Buffalo manage to muster a moderate bit of interest in a MNF Dallas-Washington game without truely caring about the teams. In many cases it's because the rivalry offers a symbolic choice about region (like Buffalo-Miami) or culture (Raiders-Chargers). You take that away and there is no reason the watch. I don't care how great the Cleveland-Pittsburgh or Green Bay-Minnesota rivalries are, I can't get excited about one team over another and wouldn't waste a Primetime evening on them. And ultimately the strength of the NFL lies as much with the willingness of people to watch the entire league - think MNF, Thanksgiving games, etc - as the intense support of fans for their own teams.

305590[/snapback]

When it comes right down to it, why bother with divisions at all. Split it up into NFC and AFC and let each team play the other 15 teams in the conference. For the 16th game, they'd have to play against themselves with Nintendo Playstation­® having Scott Norwood as the replacement kicker.

Survey Question from www.miamidolphins.com ...

Now that the Dolphins' 2005 schedule has been released, which home game are you looking forward to the most?

50% New England Patriots (Nov. 13)

13% Atlanta Falcons (Nov. 6)

13% Denver Broncos (Sept. 11)

9% New York Jets (Dec. 18)

6% Kansas City Chiefs (Oct. 23)

4% Buffalo Bills (Dec. 4)

3% Carolina Panthers (Sept. 25)

1% Tennessee Titans (Dec. 24)

304575[/snapback]

sad 2 say, but we both suck...last few yrs

why would anyone care?

Why?  Because Mr. Wilson made such a big deal about "preserving the rivalry" and, the truth is, nobody really cares!  Yes, a lot has to do with the Patriots whooping up on everybody the last few years.

I wanted to see Buffalo in a division with Pittsburgh, Cleveland, & Cincinati when the NFL was re-aligned.  It made the most sense.  New rivalries would have been formed instantly.  Instead, we're preserving a rivalry that isn't even a rivalry any longer -- at least not the rivalry it once was.

304595[/snapback]

Go and tell that to Carwell Gardner and Bryan Cox!! :doh:

How many of those respondents were alive during the 1970's ?  How many can actually speak english beyond " gimmie my gov't handout " ?  4 %  ?

304801[/snapback]

Even if they were alive in the 1970s, it (the rivalry) would still mean more to us than to them. Like Kelly said earlier, the Jets are a big rival to them. Now, on OUR side, there's no more heated rival than Miami, but maybe that's not the case on their end.

That just shows how "weak" their fan base is when they would rather see those other teams (aside of the Pats)......typical bush league Fins fans!

305676[/snapback]

You know this really pisses me off, you "high and mighty" Bills fans talking about how great the rivalry is, and how poor Fins fans are because we are looking forward to the Pats game more that others. Yet, on this very board, the same poll was taken asking what home game you most look forward to and the Dolphins game is 4th! And Denver, a non-conference game, is first. Real good there, hypocrites.

And yes, I remember Parmalee, Webb, Duper... and Clayton, Fryar, Offerdahl, Even Mercury Morris, Jake Scott, and the original Killer Bs and No Name Defense. Im sorry, you just really set me off this time with the poll.