[WAY OT] Chistening Etiquette?

WAY Off Topic here, but a nice diverse group of people here so I figured I'd ask.

My twins are being Christened this weekend (Lutheran). I know when I got married it was customary to give the pastor an envelope with some money for performing the service - is it also customary to give some money for performing a Christening/Baptism? Is there a difference in etiquette between Catholics and Protestants on this matter? Many of you have been through this with your kids - what did you do?

Thanks for your answers!

301776[/snapback]

Each individual church seems to have their own unique rules and norms - regardless of denomination.

A donation to the church would certainly be appreciated, but whether it's expected is something to ask your clergyman. As my father was clergy, I can tell you that your average priest/pastor is most probably grossly underpaid. A tip to him (whatever works for you - $50, $100, whatever) would likely never be requested, but would be greatly appreciated.

Just out of curiosity...and I don't ask this as a wiseass but rather as a non-churchgoing father of a 4-month old son: what exactly is the purpose of the baptism/christening?

301991[/snapback]

Episcopalians have baptisms, and depending on who you talk to it can be for a couple of different reasons. Baptisms may be performed on adults, but generally are performed on young children/infants, so I'll refer to the person being baptised as such-

Baptism is often viewed as receiving the infant into the church, with the congregation avowing to help the child learn to live a Christian life. The priest blesses water and uses it to put a mark or seal (a cross on the forehead of the infant) to symbolically show that the infant is a child of Christ.

There are probably different takes on baptism, but that's mine.

WAY Off Topic here, but a nice diverse group of people here so I figured I'd ask.

My twins are being Christened this weekend (Lutheran). I know when I got married it was customary to give the pastor an envelope with some money for performing the service - is it also customary to give some money for performing a Christening/Baptism? Is there a difference in etiquette between Catholics and Protestants on this matter? Many of you have been through this with your kids - what did you do?

Thanks for your answers!

301776[/snapback]

I went to one last week that had 6 kids being baptised.

The Church stood to make a good penny that afternoon since it

was not a scheduled mass.

Always good to drop some green on the the one whom performs the rites.

Good Mojo all around!!

Raising children to learn the wonderment of God is a a correct thing, but more important is that attending any church, synagogue, mosque etc. does not  imply salvation; it is personal actions that do so. It is God and thee. I'm not sure if God gives a packet of pins whether you believe in him or not, only that you follow His laws and love your fellow man as He does.

301999[/snapback]

I'm not interested in getting into a fight or anything, but I couldn't disagree with you more vigorously. I agree with the part about attending church not implying salvation. However, I understand relationship with God to be the very heart of salvation and God's purpose for us. Right actions, including love for our neighbor (everyone whose lives we may have the opportunity to touch) flow from that. In the Bible, which informs my beliefs, the greatest commandment, affirmed by Jesus, is "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your strength." "Your shall love your neighbor as yourself" is important, and a corolary to the greatest commandment, but there is no question which is first and most important.

I'm not interested in getting into a fight or anything, but I couldn't disagree with you more vigorously.  I agree with the part about attending church not implying salvation.  However, I understand relationship with God to be the very heart of salvation and God's purpose for us.  Right actions, including love for our neighbor (everyone whose lives we may have the opportunity to touch) flow from that.  In the Bible, which informs my beliefs, the greatest commandment, affirmed by Jesus, is "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your strength."  "Your shall love your neighbor as yourself" is important, and a corolary to the greatest commandment, but there is no question which is first and most important.

302213[/snapback]

We are not at odds. But I realize that not all hold the Holy Bible as their guide. I believe that our Good God would never abandon those who live a life of rightousness, regardless of their personal feelings about Him.

Responding as a Catlick....yes, weddings, baptisms and funerals don't require it, but it is considered 'good form.'  FYI as a former alter boy it was always nice when someone slipped me a little something on the side as well (no I'm not talking about the pastor).

301788[/snapback]

Ouch :doh:

Episcopalians have baptisms, and depending on who you talk to it can be for a couple of different reasons. Baptisms may be performed on adults, but generally are performed on young children/infants, so I'll refer to the person being baptised as such-

Baptism is often viewed as receiving the infant into the church, with the congregation avowing to help the child learn to live a Christian life.  The priest blesses water and uses it to put a mark or seal (a cross on the forehead of the infant) to symbolically show that the infant is a child of Christ.

There are probably different takes on baptism, but that's mine.

302105[/snapback]

But if you're not a person who attends church, isn't there a high level of hypocisy having your child baptized or christened?

But if you're not a person who attends church, isn't there a high level of hypocisy having your child baptized or christened?

302688[/snapback]

IMO, if it's done for some selfish motivation, then yeah, it probably is more than a little hypocritical.

But if it's done for the infant, I'm of the belief that having the seal of Christ put upon an infant and asking for God's blessing of him (or her) can never be a bad thing.

IMO, if it's done for some selfish motivation, then yeah, it probably is more than a little hypocritical.

But if it's done for the infant, I'm of the belief that having the seal of Christ put upon an infant and asking for God's blessing of him (or her) can never be a bad thing.

302704[/snapback]

I can almost picture God keeping a child out of heaven because his parents are tools. </sarcasm>

302704[/snapback]

The service of baptism for infants in the United Methodist Church, and probably others, require that at least one parent, or a sponsor in place of parents promise to raise the child in the care of the church. For parents, to make that promise without intending to keep it are lying to me, to the church, and to God. One couple came to me once and requested baptism for their infant, They made that promise and never showed up in church again. Three years later they contacted me about baptizing their next baby. I wrote back refusing.

Families that want their child baptized because they think there is some magical seal of Christ placed on him/her are missing the point. The Bible tells us that Jesus is the baptizer. "After me will come one the thong of whose sandal I am unworthy to tie. I baptize with water but he will baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire." John the Baptist speaking of Christ. In Ephesians Paul writes, "There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism." What we do in water baptism is a reflection of what Jesus does with the Holy Spirit. However, I believe that Jesus does his thing as a person gives his/her heart to God. Baptism of infants anticipates that. But, parents who have their children baptized, yet never follow through on their promises in essence are telling their children they don't need the church, they don't need a personal relationship. For them, infant baptism becomes kind of an innoculation against true Christianity. Those parents are doing their children a disservice IMHO. The children are better off not being baptized than to have parents lie in order to have it done.

The service of baptism for infants in the United Methodist Church, and probably others, require that at least one parent, or a sponsor in place of parents promise to raise the child in the care of the church.  For parents to make that promise without intending to keep it are lying to me, to the church, and to God.  One couple came to me once and requested baptism for their infant,  They made that promise and never showed up in church again.  Three years later they contacted me about baptizing their next baby.  I wrote back refusing.

Families that want their child baptized because they think there is some magical seal of Christ placed on him/her are missing the point.  The Bible tells us that Jesus is the baptizer.  "After me will come one the thong of whose sandal I am unworthy to tie.  I baptize with water but he will baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire." John the Baptist speaking of Christ.  In Ephesians Paul writes, "There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism."  What we do in water baptism is a reflection of what Jesus does with the Holy Spirit.  However, I believe that Jesus does his thing as a person gives his/her heart to God.  Baptism of infants anticipates that.  But, parents who have their children baptized, yet never follow through on their promises in essence are telling their children they don't need the church, they don't need a personal relationship.  For them, infant baptism becomes kind of an innoculation against true Christianity.  Those parents are doing their children a disservice IMHO.  The children are better off not being baptized than to have parents lie in order to have it done.

303089[/snapback]

That's a great post. I realize it's based on the UMC principles, but you're really closing in on a real dilemma I'm facing. If I don't go to church myself, what is it I'm expecting by having my son baptized? Regardless of my (or any other person's) take on religion (organized or otherwise), the fact remains in my mind that to seek a baptism for my son when I don't practice myself is simply self-indulgent. Better to wait, at least in my case, until my son is old enough to understand his options...regardless of how old he will be at that point. Anything short of that is simply a self-absorbed gesture on behalf of the parents.

Again...really good post. More of this kind of discussion during the offseason and maybe fewer people will feel "Lost." :doh:

That's a great post. I realize it's based on the UMC principles, but you're really closing in on a real dilemma I'm facing. If I don't go to church myself, what is it I'm expecting by having my son baptized?  Regardless of my (or any other person's) take on religion (organized or otherwise), the fact remains in my mind that to seek a baptism for my son when I don't practice myself is simply self-indulgent. Better to wait, at least in my case, until my son is old enough to understand his options...regardless of how old he will be at that point. Anything short of that is simply a self-absorbed gesture on behalf of the parents.

Again...really good post. More of this kind of discussion during the offseason and maybe fewer people will feel "Lost." :doh:

303123[/snapback]

You also have a child and are wrestling with the baptism question, LA? Do you have any religious beliefs? Are you being pressured by family members to have your son baptized? I can respect just about any decision you make about baptism, except lying to get it done. Thanks for having the integrity to openly question what's going on and seeking some real answers. If you believe in God, but haven't found a church you're comfortable in, I have to believe that somewhere in LA there is a lively, warm and friendly church where you could feel at home.