Good job TD. And we are damn close now!

ICE

I think Seymour over Schobel is a no brainer, Seymour is one of the best in the league no doubt.  The question is what he will get paid when his contract is up?  Will the Pats pony up to keep him or is he gone?  Then you can have a true comparison between the decision TD made on Schobel and the Pats' philosophy about not overpaying players.

22545[/snapback]

It'll be a test of BB and SP's philosophy, when Big Sey comes up for FA, no doubt. Seymour's been making plays from the inside and outside since arriving in '01.

FWIW - I expect a big year from Ty Warren, A.K.A. the player picked with the draft pick acquired via the Bledsoe trade.

FWIW - I expect a big year from Ty Warren, A.K.A. the player picked with the draft pick acquired via the Bledsoe trade.

22555[/snapback]

Just as long as he stays on his bi-polar meds. Any news on that front? I know it is not talked about much.

Umm Schobel is overrated. Plain and simple. He's an average player at best. His sacks are due more to solid coverage than anything else. He's a good player, no doubt.  A $28 million player?  No way.  For my money, I'd rather extend Pat Williams who while older, still wreaks havock in the middle of that defensive line.

22280[/snapback]

Schobel is already what, 3rd or 4th in team history in sacks? Add to this that he has been playing WITHOUT a force at DE on the other side!

Not taking away from Pat Williams, but I do not understand this at all. :doh:

Umm Schobel is overrated. Plain and simple. He's an average player at best. His sacks are due more to solid coverage than anything else. He's a good player, no doubt.  A $28 million player?  No way.  For my money, I'd rather extend Pat Williams who while older, still wreaks havock in the middle of that defensive line.

22280[/snapback]

Thank god they got schoebel to sign - I thought he was going to hold out for Grant wistrom money in the offseason

I'm just glad that we signed AS. He has been a decent LE and would have commanded a big contract next year. Then what do we have...Denney at LE and Kelsay at RE? The comparisons with Ogun and Seymour don't mean squat. AS has played well his 1st 3 years on OUR defense and will continue to get better. Thanks TD! Now get to work on JJ.

I'm just glad that we signed AS.  He has been a decent LE and would have commanded a big contract next year.  Then what do we have...Denney at LE and Kelsay at RE?  The comparisons with Ogun and Seymour don't mean squat.  AS has played well his 1st 3 years on OUR defense and will continue to get better.  Thanks TD!  Now get to work on JJ.

22757[/snapback]

Schobel plays RDE...

I agree, though, Denney would've stayed at LDE & Kelsay would've moved to RDE...

pretty scary thought. :doh:

Schobel is average at best. Feasts on third-string tackles. Not worth 23 million. Jennings is probably a B to B+ LT - would have preferred to put the money there.

everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I think Schobel is much better than average. He has shown tremendous ability to learn new techniques and has improved in all mental aspects of his position. As a rookie, he had one move, the speed burst around the left tackle. We all saw that he was raw. Obviously, he has paid attention to the vets and coaches and has developed a well rounded game. I saw some things in his limited action in preseason that make me hopeful he will continue to improve still, especially in reading plays and defending the run. IMO, an excellent signing.

I think it was a good move. We weren't going to spend any less on the open market I'm sure probably a lot more. It's only 9mil in guaranteed money....as far as big Pat goes I was hoping we'd draft Wilfork this year and we didn't........but guess who did?

It'll be a test of BB and SP's philosophy, when Big Sey comes up for FA, no doubt.  Seymour's been making plays from the inside and outside since arriving in '01.

22555[/snapback]

Why do you still hang around this board? The Patriots are awesome. We got it. Now go away.

The timing of this signing is no accident. Aaron Schobel made numerous excellent stops on running plays this pre-season. I am not saying he is great against the run. But he has improved yearly on that part too, and while he still can get caught inside, and sometimes outmuscled out of the play, he makes plays down the line quite well on runs to the middle now. He is not a total liability on run defense whatsoever.