Good for you Bo, make em pay

So I guess the days of papers just printing retractions are gone?

298426[/snapback]

Generally speaking, a newspaper prints a retraction when they make an error. This doesn't appear to be an error. I would characterize it as a lie.

Generally speaking, a newspaper prints a retraction when they make an error.  This doesn't appear to be an error.  I would characterize it as a lie.

298430[/snapback]

Usually the news is plastered on page one and the retraction is on page 16 in microscopic print. go get em Bo.

On a semi related note. During our Super Bowl years I was at a home Sunday night game against the Raiders, where a bunch of fans were playing volyball in the stands with a black sex doll with a sign around her neck that said "Bo knows your sister".

Bo Jackson is sueing a California newspaper that printed a story saying he used anabolic steriods, and they led directly to his hip injury.

I hope he's telling the truth, and I hope that puny little paper has to pay dearly.

linky

298392[/snapback]

It wasn't a story about Bo. It was a story about steroid abuse. There was one graf/quote about Bo, and that's what the lawsuit is over.

Now, I will give you this: Just because someone else said it, doesn't mean we have the right to print it. Libel is libel, regardless of where it comes from. But Bo's a public figure, and to think some haven't questioned whether or not he used steroids is silly.

That said, Bo's going to have a pretty hard time proving defamation in this case. The location of the quote (in the 11th graf), the manner in which the quote was played in the story, combined with the fact that it's going to be pretty tough for Bo to prove malice (the source had validity to speak on the topic, given her background) or actual damages (his career is over and he's largely out of the spotlight as it pertains to sports -- the man is more known for cooking nowadays) leads me to believe that this lawsuit will either be settled out of court for a piddling sum, or it will never see the light of day in an actual courtroom. Not to mention the private figure vs. public figure battle he can't possibly win.