How old are civilizations actually?

CoachT

On 7/14/2019 at 12:43 PM, CoachT said:

If you are looking for something interesting to learn about, look into the Joe Rogan podcasts with with Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson. Also Robert Schoch and John Anthony West talk about the same stuff. If you dont like Joe Rogan then just look into their work. I have been fascinated with this stuff for 2 years now.

Long story short, these guys theorize that there were civilizations long before the Egyptians, Sumerian Chinese.... They think that the last ice age that ended about 12000 years ago, ended due to a large cosmic event like a meteor, which caused a sudden and massive rise in water levels, wiping out most major cities, which would likely be near water. This would explains all the flood myths and stories that are passed down in many cultures, like Noah and Atlantis. They also beleive that the major civilizations that started after the ice age were not the first, but actually decendants of people who lived before. If you look at egypt or some of the ruins in the America's, its clear that the older stone work and building techniques were actually better than the newer ruins. So they actually lost certain knowledge instead of building on their techniques and technology.

Their work has got a lot of pushback from "main stream science" but also the evidence seems to be piling up that these guys might be up to something.

Their work has also allowed me to learn about amazing places I had no idea about that I would love to visit. Like Petra, Gobekli Tepe and the ruins in Peru and south America which I knew about but had no idea how incredible they really were. Make sure you check out pictures of Petra if you dont know about it.

Also Graham Hancock has a great youtube video about the lost Arc of the Covinent and how some believe its in a city in Etheopia now, Aksum is the city I think. There are also some incredible ruins in Etheopia that he beleives are linked to the Knights Templar.

Anyone else into this stuff? 

Like Coloradobills fan, I'm skeptical because if a sudden rise in sea-level destroyed these supposed civilizations, there would still be evidence of those civilizations under water.   AFAIK, that evidence is missing although evidence of known civilizations or parts of known civilizations that were destroyed by earthquakes that resulted in the coastal areas where they were located sinking into the sea.

More recent climate change isn't a new phenomenon in Africa, either.  Within historical times, the Sahara Desert was much narrower in width and wetter, allowing for trade routes across it from the Mediterranean coast to cities in present day Ghana, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Sudan etc. where today's desert areas had much more savannah-like climates.   Keep in mind that just because some civilizations aren't very well known to the general public doesn't mean that they aren't known to archeologists.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Like Coloradobills fan, I'm skeptical because if a sudden rise in sea-level destroyed these supposed civilizations, there would still be evidence of those civilizations under water.   AFAIK, that evidence is missing although evidence of known civilizations or parts of known civilizations that were destroyed by earthquakes that resulted in the coastal areas where they were located sinking into the sea.

Just adding somethings to consider about the bolded: 

1) We know more about the surface of the moon than we do the surface of the ocean floors. 

2) There has been (controversial/suppressed) evidence of civs found under water, including this one just off the coast of Cuba:

Image result for cuba atlantis images

(I don't know anything about this site --  https://coolinterestingstuff.com/the-mystery-of-the-50000-year-old-sunken-city-in-cuba  -- but it's a jumping off point for more research/digging if it interests you) 

:beer: 

There's lots of ruins (allegedly) between Antarctica and South America underwater as well. 

On 7/17/2019 at 9:01 AM, SoTier said:

More recent climate change isn't a new phenomenon in Africa, either.  Within historical times, the Sahara Desert was much narrower in width and wetter, allowing for trade routes across it from the Mediterranean coast to cities in present day Ghana, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Sudan etc. where today's desert areas had much more savannah-like climates.   Keep in mind that just because some civilizations aren't very well known to the general public doesn't mean that they aren't known to archeologists.

There are countless underwater ruins that have been discovered. Most have been explained by the land masses shifting which I'm sure there is some truth to. But there are definitely many sites to look at. Hancock always points out that almost all funds for underwater archaeology goes towards shipwrecks and not lost cities.

Also I would argue that very little would be left after a massive flood and thousands of years of being underwater. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/15/2019 at 6:32 AM, Greybeard said:

I saw a documentary which stated all Native Americans had common ancestors.  That is both the North American and South American natives.   I searched to see if I could find anything on this and the link I found is below which is what the documentary was based on.

I really like documentaries, especially those that relate to history.   There is a streaming service which is dedicated to documentaries, Curiosity Stream.   

https://www.the-scientist.com/daily-news/all-native-americans-descended-from-one-ancestral-population-30457

We learned that they came over the Bering Strait in grade school.

I guess they're zeroing in on the idea that a single migration settled both continents.

The story of one population making such a journey would be very interesting. Like the Israelites venturing to their promised land. Granted, the Native American migration took place over a much longer period of time, so not as dramatic.

There must've been some great explorers during that time, who we know nothing about.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:12 AM, Deranged Rhino said:

Just adding somethings to consider about the bolded: 

1) We know more about the surface of the moon than we do the surface of the ocean floors. 

2) There has been (controversial/suppressed) evidence of civs found under water, including this one just off the coast of Cuba:

Image result for cuba atlantis images

(I don't know anything about this site --  https://coolinterestingstuff.com/the-mystery-of-the-50000-year-old-sunken-city-in-cuba  -- but it's a jumping off point for more research/digging if it interests you) 

:beer: 

There's lots of ruins (allegedly) between Antarctica and South America underwater as well. 

That's a misleading picture.... I was surprised when I read that the pyramidal structures were only 8ft by 10 ft. That's a small settlement.