Where's Bad Dad?

JoeF

Just had to make emergency room trip #2 in two weeks with my "almost" three year old son. This time it was a gash to the head caused by running into a door while chasing his 6 year old sister. Two weeks ago it was a dive off a pile of couch cushions into the edge of a coffee table lip first.

This is trip #5 overall for this young guy...pulled an end table over on his head at 9 months. Fell out of a swing at 18 months..drank a bottle of aftershave at 24 months...

What is God trying to tell me?

I did ask the nurse tonight if we were going to get a call from Social Services....she said (I think it was a she--she was more of a Pat from Saturday Night Live and had some facial hair)--"No--but have you ever seen the boy in the bubble movie--you sir, need a bubble for this child.."

Our son was like that (He's 22 now so he survived.) He was walking at 8.5 months and running a month later. We had baby proofed out house with all the little gizmos they sell. He learned to take out the outlet covers. He would put them in his mouth, then stick them back in. He could undo the cupboard and refridgerator locks, and when my wife had difficulty opening doors with the doorhandle covers, he would gleefully offer to open the door for her. He climbed on top of our old upright piano at 2 years old. He stood of the china rim of the toilet to reach something he had no business reaching and fell off hitting the back of his head on the toilet. He got a hold of spray perfume and sprayed in his eyes. He got a hold of a raisin and stuffed it in his nose. Know what happens to a raisin when you put it way back in your nose? I do. He's nearly knocked himself out falling into a bathroom sink, among his many hijinks. He later struggled in school and was diagnosed with ADHD. The bottom line is with a kid lilke that you have to give a lot more attention to supervision that to an average kid. He was our oldest, and it was a wonder we had any more as"challenging as he was. The next two were girls, and they were a piece of cake by comparison.

Our son was like that (He's 22 now so he survived.)  He was walking at 8.5 months and running a month later.  We had baby proofed out house with all the little gizmos they sell.  He learned to take out the outlet covers.  He would put them in his mouth, then stick them back in.  He could undo the cupboard and refridgerator locks, and when my wife had difficulty opening doors with the doorhandle covers, he would gleefully offer to open the door for her.  He climbed on top of our old upright piano at 2 years old.  He stood of the china rim of the toilet to reach something he had no business reaching and fell off hitting the back of his head on the toilet.  He got a hold of spray perfume and sprayed in his eyes.  He got a hold of a raisin and stuffed it in his nose.  Know what happens to a raisin when you put it way back in your nose?  I do.  He's nearly knocked himself out falling into a bathroom sink, among his many hijinks.  He later struggled in school and was diagnosed with ADHD.  The bottom line is with a kid lilke that you have to give a lot more attention to supervision that to an average kid.  He was our oldest, and it was a wonder we had any more as"challenging as he was.  The next two were girls, and they were a piece of cake by comparison.

293945[/snapback]

Thanks Tiger. There is some history of ADHD in my wife's family. The kid is pretty amazing though...he can step up to a computer -- and get himself to his two favorite websites -- thewiggles.com and nickjr.com with no help and concentrate and play for hours..its just curious--his mind goes 24/7...we are watching the ADHD stuff..and we are with him constantly -- you can't take your eye off him for a second. He is #3 of 4 (4th one just born on Feb 24) the older two are girls and pieces of cake by comparison as well.

Thanks--reading this made me feel better.

did ask the nurse tonight if we were going to get a call from Social Services....she said (I think it was a she--she was more of a Pat from Saturday Night Live and had some facial hair)--"No--but have you ever seen the boy in the bubble movie--you sir, need a bubble for this child.."

293937[/snapback]

If can't afford the bubble buy the boy a bicycle helmet to wear indoors. :angry: Seriously, I have no real advice to offer but sure things will be fine, don't worry yourself too much.

Thanks Tiger.  There is some history of ADHD in my wife's family.  The kid is pretty amazing though...he can step up to a computer -- and get himself to his two favorite websites -- thewiggles.com and nickjr.com with no help and concentrate and play for hours..its just curious--his mind goes 24/7...we are watching the ADHD stuff..and we are with him constantly -- you can't take your eye off him for a second.  He is #3 of 4 (4th one just born on Feb 24) the older two are girls and pieces of cake by comparison as well.

Thanks--reading this made me feel better.

293946[/snapback]

Not that we did, but we could have put his youngest sister on the floor with two or three toys and come back two hours later and she would still be playing with the toys. Not Matt. He would have broken something or gotten hurt in five minutes without someone watching him. He made life an adventure for sure.. Good luck with your challenging toddler.

I have to say that I was a lot like this kid. I had people thinking i would grow up looking frankenstein with all of the hospital trips. Just be patient with the little guy as he may be accident prone for quite some time.

BTW: I don't look like a monster, i have a few small scars remaining (damn Sloppy Joes) and I actually modeled a couple years ago.

Just had to make emergency room trip #2 in two weeks with my "almost" three year old son.  This time it was a gash to the head caused by running into a door while chasing his 6 year old sister.  Two weeks ago it was a dive off a pile of couch cushions into the edge of a coffee table lip first. 

This is trip #5 overall for this young guy...pulled an end table over on his head at 9 months.  Fell out of a swing at 18 months..drank a bottle of aftershave at 24 months...

What is God trying to tell me?

293937[/snapback]

You might need to glue as many cotton balls you can find to your tyke! Better to look like a marshmallow and ridiculed by his friends than having all those doctor/emergency room bills.

:angry: