O Line continuity concerns?

IMO Allen displayed fantastic pocket awareness and elusiveness as a rookie QB-most rookie QBs would have been shell shocked playing behind that line. He reminded me of a big strong version of Doug Flutie. 

Edited by Toesy

7 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i believe long and nseke played these spots together in wash.  the biggest oline improvement that could be made has already been done. juan is gone.

he was set from his days in h.s. to become a stud defensive line player.... until his college coach forced the switch due to injuries.

i bet had he stayed put, he would have been drafted much higher.  maybe they toy with that a bit? i'd like to see him take a few dt snaps.....

I heartedly agree about Juan Castillio as he should have never been hired. There was an immediate downturn in the run game from Greg Roman/Anthoney Lynn who built a #1 run game to what Castillio did. Yards per attempt went from #1 two years in a row in 2015-16 down to 14th in 2017 under Castillio and it was even worse at first, this with the very same running QB and lead back. 

McCoy went from a 5.4 yards per attempt in 2016 to 4.0 in 2017 and it was worse at first until McCoy turned it up on his own in the second half of the season. Last season without Incognito/Woods the yards per attempt went to 21st. While the actual overall yardage and #5 in rushing attempts don't look so bad... it's because of QB Josh Allen was the leading rusher with 631 yards rushing at a whopping 7.1 yards per attempt. 

The Bills went from a power or gap scheme means you have double teams at the point of attack and the way you cut the defense is with double teams or kick out blocks.

The zone scheme is much more complex! The wide zone or outside zone, the way you cut the defense is to stretch the front side and then the backside you cut the defenders. That's how you create seams by cutting the defenders so there is no backside pursuit. The tight zone or inside zone is different so that you have some double teams but different from the power/gap scheme but it still requires cutting the defender.

I think we can all see which was the more successful blocking scheme.

Chemistry and cohesiveness on the o-line are certainly an issue.  Beane knows that, and noted that last year's problems stemmed less from a lack of talent and more from a lack of chemistry.  Except for Morse, the guys Beane brought in look mostly like band aids.  They may be better band aid's than we had last year, but the fact that most got short term contracts tells you Bean is hedging his bet on their ability to make a long term difference.  I think Nsekhe is pretty good.  I think he'll start at right tackle and handle things pretty well.  Greg Cosell thinks Spencer Long is a quality guard.  I'll defer to his expertise.  If we assume he starts, along with Dawkins, Morse and Nsekhe, it means there is really only one spot that needs to get settled, the guard spot opposite from Long.  I don't know that they will settle on the starter at that spot before training camp, but if they at least nail it down within the first week of training camp, I think the rest of training camp is probably enough to at least get some chemistry/cohesiveness started, though it would need to continue developing throughout the season.