Healthcare

VABills

So I have a family member whose son is 19 years old. Decided not to go to college but had a fulltime job that afforded him healthcare benefits, along with college tuition benefits, life insurance, retirement benies etc...

He announced to his parents he wanted to go to college this fall, had been accepted and was going to quit. So they started getting the paperwork in line to add him to their health insurance since he would be covered as a college student. 2 weeks ago he decided he didn't now want to go to college, but he had already quit his fulltime job and they didn't rehire him.

He has basically no skills, he was working at a store as a cashier. He now only has a part time job, 1 or 2 days a week. No benies.

Someone please explain to me why the government should pay for this kids health insurance when he had it and then quit, and chose not to extend cobra benies or enroll in college.

The parent (mother) and I disagree on this issue. I said it was tough stevestojan, and if her son is going to act irresponsibly then she had better get insurance on him, or force him to go to college. She said it's all Bush's fault and noone should be without coverage regardless of their stupid decisions.

So I have a family member whose son is 19 years old.  Decided not to go to college but had a fulltime job that afforded him healthcare benefits, along with college tuition benefits, life insurance, retirement benies etc... 

He announced to his parents he wanted to go to college this fall, had been accepted and was going to quit.  So they started getting the paperwork in line to add him to their health insurance since he would be covered as a college student.  2 weeks ago he decided he didn't now want to go to college, but he had already quit his fulltime job and they didn't rehire him. 

He has basically no skills, he was working at a store as a cashier.  He now only has a part time job, 1 or 2 days a week.  No benies. 

Someone please explain to me why the government should pay for this kids health insurance when he had it and then quit, and chose not to extend cobra benies or enroll in college. 

The parent (mother) and I disagree on this issue. I said it was tough stevestojan, and if her son is going to act irresponsibly then she had better get insurance on him, or force him to go to college.  She said it's all Bush's fault and noone should be without coverage regardless of their stupid decisions.

21743[/snapback]

Great, and based on the tremendous job she has done raising her child, another adult will be in this world who has no sense of personal accountability, and he'll be standing with his hands extended outward for assistance because he has no ability to make a coherent decision.

The lazy rely on the government to save their bacon when they can't make decisions on their own.

Tell her that her son DOES have health coverage. If he is in need of medical assistance, a hospital will help him, and then he can work out a payment plan. That is called personal accountability. If he's waiting for someone to pick up the tab for him, that's called welfare.

There are times when I genuinely feel bad for people who don't have access to health insurance.  This is not one of them.

21902[/snapback]

My sentiments... Who was advising that Kid... Betcha he has "liberal" parents.

"If it feels good" crap is just that, crap.

I like to hear the kid's personal take on it, dig deep into the company policy and just get an informative, deep down opinion. Not that it would change my mind.

Isn't COBRA super expensive?

I like to hear the kid's personal take on it, dig deep into the company policy and just get an informative, deep down opinion.  Not that it would change my mind.

21928[/snapback]

COBRA is pretty expensive.

I don't blame parents for a 19 year old kid's decisions. Most parents try and impart wisdom to their kids. Sometimes it doesn't take. Alot of people need to make their own mistakes and it sounds like this kid is one of them. He'll figure it out one day.

I don't blame parents for a 19 year old kid's decisions.  Most parents try and impart wisdom to their kids.  Sometimes it doesn't take.  Alot of people need to make their own mistakes and it sounds like this kid is one of them.  He'll figure it out one day.

21933[/snapback]

Good points. You can only "steer" them in the right direction. Hopefully he will wisen up before he makes too many mistakes.

Then again Darin, some are slow learners... ;):doh:

I don't blame parents for a 19 year old kid's decisions.  Most parents try and impart wisdom to their kids.  Sometimes it doesn't take.  Alot of people need to make their own mistakes and it sounds like this kid is one of them.  He'll figure it out one day.

21933[/snapback]

COBRA cost is what the direct cost is to the company for each employee. In a large company the cost would be cheaper as they would probably have worked out a better deal. I have heard from friends who have had to use cobra, and seen it over $400 per month for an individual and another from a huge company who got it for about $150 month.

It really depends.

COBRA cost is what the direct cost is to the company for each employee.  In a large company the cost would be cheaper as they would probably have worked out a better deal.  I have heard from friends who have had to use cobra, and seen it over $400 per month for an individual and another from a huge company who got it for about $150 month. 

It really depends.

22010[/snapback]

What would the 19 year family member been paying? I take it he would have afforded it?

Does he have any medical conditions?

What would the 19 year family member been paying?  I take it he would have afforded it?

Does he have any medical conditions?

22035[/snapback]

I get the impression it was about 200 per month.

No, no medical conditions other than being stupid and a teenager. Which when combined with driving can cause medical problems.

COBRA cost is what the direct cost is to the company for each employee.  In a large company the cost would be cheaper as they would probably have worked out a better deal.  I have heard from friends who have had to use cobra, and seen it over $400 per month for an individual and another from a huge company who got it for about $150 month. 

It really depends.

22010[/snapback]

It also depends on the level of coverage. Most companies, except the very small, give you options for the level of coverage you want, in-network v. out of network access, etc. which all impact cost.

If he's 19, it shouldn't cost a ton of money to obtain castostrophic coverage (ie., he gets hit by a car and goes in a coma or gets cancer he is covered), which is all most 19 yos really need (how often is he going to a doctor's office?)

One of the problems with healthcare in this country is that everyone wants to run to the doctor everytime they get a friggin head cold instead of staying in bed for a couple of days, drinking lots of fluids and taking some Nyquil if you can't get yourself to sleep.

I like to hear the kid's personal take on it, dig deep into the company policy and just get an informative, deep down opinion.  Not that it would change my mind.

21928[/snapback]

Yeah, Cobra is a joke. No one whose unemployed can afford it.

Yeah, Cobra is a joke.  No one whose unemployed can afford it.

22080[/snapback]

When I lost my last job I looked at CORBA...$450 a month for a plan that had a $50 co-pay for prescriptions and a 50% co-pay for doctor's visits. That meant for my routine medical care (which costs me $500/month), I would have been paying $450/month for the privilege of having them pay out $270...or, to put it another way, being insured through CORBA would have increase my monthly health care costs from $500/month to about $750/month.

Great friggin' system, that... ;)

Good points.  You can only "steer" them in the right direction.  Hopefully he will wisen up before he makes too many mistakes.

Then again Darin, some are slow learners... ;)  ;)

22006[/snapback]

Especially people who thing government solves problems instead of creating more and bigger ones. ;)